2FA. Does it work as advertised?

What’s your experiences?
Mine is basically, “irritatingly repetitive”.
Trusted Devices have to continually be told, “you are trusted”.

Al

2 Likes

I’ve only got it enabled for a few services ‘common’ services and it has appeared to work pretty well. Even the ones that force you to use an SMS code seem to work pretty well and having it pop up in Messages on my Mac or on my Apple Watch means I’m not hunting to get the phone out.

For sites that allow an authenticator code I use 1Passwords built in number generator now, previously I used Google Authenticator, both of which have worked very very well. The only moment of doubt I have is knowing that 1Password actually has both factors available should it ever be hacked… that said I’m probably well and truly screwed on that day anyway, even with 2FA.

which is why I no longer use it with Apple. It became an irritating nuisance.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments.

Al

Apple 2FA works fine for me, no complaints. For everything else I use Authy.

2FA works well for me - while it is a little bit inconvenient, it’s also a hell of a lot better than having my account pwned.

1 Like

Mostly the same experience. It’s a useful feature, but my devices never seem to remember it.

One common issue I’ve found with Two Factor Authentication is when customers sign into iCloud on a computer to turn off Find My iPhone on their defective iPhone prior to replacement. They sign into iCloud only to have it send the secure code to their iPhone, the very same one requiring repairs, which doesn’t work… normally we find a workaround, like swapping their SIM into a shop device to retrieve the code if the number is linked to the account and not the device itself, but as we have seen in recent times, even that could soon no longer be possible.

That’s a good point. I have more than one trusted device, so i can authorise an iCloud log-in from any of my computers.