3D-printed Apple Watch charging stand

Because I’m a firm believer in having a dock for your stuff to sit pretty on while charging, I knew I had to get something for the Apple Watch. I had already ordered an ElevationLab Night Stand, but what about something while I was waiting for it to arrive?

Looking around I noticed the design of Apple Watch docks were all similar enough. Not quite the same, obviously, but all of the same basic design. A little digging found an Apple Watch charging stand that was able to be 3D printed, and after discussing it with @iain, before I knew it I had something that was a little more unique than the ones you can buy.

Being my first bit of 3D-printed “thing”, It turned out pretty well. The Thingiverse page mentions it’s actually a remix of another design, with a wider channel for the charging cable to fit down, but I still found it incredibly difficult to squeeze the Apple Watch charging cable down there - it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a little sandpaper or whatever.

It also has this cool texture/surface pattern that I suspect is a by-product of the 3D-printing process, making the thing look and feel a little like carbon fibre. It’s also super light, lighter than I was expecting. Overall, pretty happy with it.

Shown off here with the 42mm Apple Watch with Black Sports band.

@iain was nice enough to send me a few in-progress pics while it was bring printed, and will undoubtedly be able to answer any questions about the material or the printer he used :wink:

Hey, that looks familiar :smile:

Printed in PLA plastic at 0.1mm layer height on my Printrbot Simple Metal with heated bed.

You may be wondering why it’s printed on a bit of an angle? That was to optimise the support structure for the cavity which holds the charger - otherwise it wouldn’t have come out as close to perfectly round as possible.

The design of the stand has some less than optimum angles which led to the finish being a little uneven, you can see this on the top/back edge of the stand - though nothing a little post-processing can’t sort out :smile:

I printed another charging stand today - I think it’s pretty cute!

3 Likes

I’d love to get into 3D printing, but worry it would end up being basically a novelty…