64-bit Office for Mac finally released for testing

I’ve all but given up on Excel for Mac, if I want to do real Excel work I feel like I’m currently better off going and sitting in front of the PC or firing up Parallels.

Interestingly, as of this week, I’ve gone full Mac at home and at work - set up my MacBook Pro at work running 2 external screens plus the laptop screen, using windows peripherals, and it is all working so far. Hence why I’m interested in this upgrade, as we are still bound to Office for productivity.

Is it faster? Office 2016 was so freaking slow I don’t use it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Theoretically should be as it would remove memory and cpu restrictions.

I’d hope so… :stuck_out_tongue:

Installed it earlier and it does seem to perform better. Scrolling is very smooth.

Good to hear! What about opening times? If anything it is how long office applications take to open that annoys me. On Windows Office 2016 is lighting fast.

The older version takes up a ton of disk space.

I prefer to use Google docs these days, never a problem with performance or storage.

1 Like

It’s finally out!

If you update your 2016 today it will upgrade to the 64 bit version. Looks and feels the same but maybe a bit quicker.

Lets hope :stuck_out_tongue:

Apple has completely botched pages on the iPad 2, to the extent that there is so much delay between typing and the letters coming up on screen that I switched to word, and thinking of switching back on the Mac as well. Its a shame, I love iWork, but Apple just can not be bothered.

What version number is the updated version?

I have the stand alone one time purchase version (not a from an Office 365 subscription). And when I run the software update, it says that my software is up to date, there are no software updates available for download.

Mine says 15.25.

Finally! The auto updater is now showing the update is available.

I wonder if they staggered availability. Downloading now. Thanks!

:unamused:

1 Like

It was good enough for them to sell the Mini 1 (Shrunken iPad 2) at a premium price till literally 12 months ago, so its good enough for them to ensure that updates to pages don’t make it unusable.

Isn’t it time to move to web based Office apps? I still use MS Office at work (Windows 10) but Excel 2010 is balls and I find myself using Google Docs/Sheets a lot. I’ve been debating getting Office 365. I’d like everything in the cloud and know I have access from home on a Mac, from work on a PC, and from anywhere on a portable device.

We’re only just getting Office 365 at work. I have a free 365 for a year which I’ve installed on my Mac to try 2016 out, but I don’t use it very much. I probably use Google Docs/sheets more these days for personal stuff. I’ve still got a copy of Office 2007 for using on PC which is surprisingly awesome if you don’t need any of the onliney 365 type functionality.

Just a reminder for those who use Endnote that you need to upgrade to 64 bit Cite While you Write plugin.

First thing I did when the plugin error popped up! Thank goodness the latest version of Endnote works.

Also the upgrade did havoc to my Exchange permissions and passwords, and I had to do some Keychain mucking around to fix it on my work laptop, home desktop and wife’s laptop.

Have you used the web version of Outlook 365?

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

Working between multiple mailboxes in that is a total pain. I’d go for a dedicated app every time

1 Like