A new case with a 3.5mm headphone port for the iPhone 7

Not when you move between multiple headphones and multiple devices.

Towing the apple line in every single way is not a requirement of liking apple products.

Absolutely. It’s inevitable that in a few years the average consumer has no need for something like the headphone jack, so Apple just decide to get rid of it now.

The case with the built in 3.5 jack is a great alternative, so is the adaptor. And if that’s not good enough… there’s plenty of other phones out there.

2 Likes

For me it’s the battery. I’ve been out with the family already with the 7+ and with the amount of photos and videos I do the battery doesn’t last the day. So a battery case would be great with lightning port. Only Apple has one for the 7 but not 7+.

Now see… that’s the bit I don’t grok.

Now we have a need for it, in a few years we won’t.

So why not do the logical thing and get rid of it in a few years?

Why create problems when you don’t need to create problems?

Seriously Erwin, get a morphie, get anything but that butt ugly hump of an Apple battery iPhone case. Bad design should not be rewarded. And that applies double for an apple product, which usually do better.

Had a play with my BiL’s iPhone 7 yesterday. Definitely better than my 6S, but I can wait another year. Don’t understand the headphone port grief.

Geoff, I would say that enough people already hardly ever use the headphone port, and those that did were just using the supplied apple earphones in it. So most people will not miss it. And for those that do, a $9 adapter permanlty attached to the plug solves it.

Apple is certainly accelerating the demise of the old port. Just like it did with floppies, disk drives etc. etc.

The only group that it is a real problem is the very small group with an old car that needs two ports to connect a phone.

1 Like

Apple doesn’t make a 7+ case even if I wanted one - I’m getting the Fuze case. Will post pics once it arrives.

Maybe it’s because I’m from an older demographic but many people I know with an iPhone 5, 5S, 6 or 6S (say 50%) are either annoyed or confused by Apples choice to remove the headphone socket.

I think it’s easy to get a misleading impression of things when we look at tech web sites like this, the general public are not as well informed.

As for ‘old car’ Average age of all vehicles registered in Australia was 10.1 years, unchanged from 2015. Tasmanian vehicles reported the oldest average age with 12.6 years, whilst the Northern Territory had the youngest fleet with an average age of 9.1 years. (from the ABS).

My work Triton is a 2013 model (I thought it was a 2012 but turns out I was wrong) so it’s 3 years old, the newer 2015 Triton at work is also not fitted with Bluetooth audio streaming.

My Harley tourer is a 2012 model but the 2016 models still aren’t fitted with Bluetooth audio streaming and from what I’ve read of the upcoming 2017 models the audio unit is the same as this years.

I suspect that it will take at least 9 or 10 years before most of the vehicles without Bluetooth audio streaming (as distinct from bluetooth phone audio) age out of the vehicle fleet and maybe longer.

1 Like

I am 20 and pretty much everyone I know thinks that it is a stupid desicison. People my age especially. I deal with a lot of average users through my job, and average users, basic users and tech people alike think it is stupid.

The whole ‘courage’ thing is the stupidest thing I’ve heard. Courage would have been putting compatibility and forward thinking before profits and moving to one lightning and one USB-C port. Would have till been annoying but it would have been a push towards adopting a new industry standard.

The thing is though, that the iPhone is getting like Windows was. People will buy it regardless because it is good enough, people will ignore things like this.

1 Like

That would have been pretty awesome. "See, we put USB-c in there instead of an old aux out port, and you can still use lightning stuff.

Yeah! While moving from the 3.5mm port would have been annoying, I would have forgiven them for making a good move towards having an industry standard port that could charge and do everything recovered, alongside a lightning port as to not annoy eveveryone with another port change.

I can’t imagine what the reaction would be if/when they finally add wireless charging and completely remove the lightning port. The streets will run red with Tim Cook’s blood.

Relax. The Lightning port’s not going anywhere. Apple believe strongly in Lightning.

Which is a shame since its a proprietary port.

4 Likes

Oh so having one port that could charge everything (thus being better for consumers and the environment) would be a bad thing?

Its too late for them to swap fully over now though. The switch to a new charger came at a bad time.

3 Likes