Airplay, you piece of f*$*(NG S&#&#! 💩

Does anyone else have constant issues with Airplay?

It wasn’t always like this. Back when we first got airplay (whenever that was… ATV2 I think) it was great. No dropouts, worked flawlessly. But it just seems to get worse and worse. Today, we’re trying to play some music on a relaxing sunday afternoon and it keeps dropping out. happens from multiple Macs.

Have fiddled around with wifi and it seems to work better on 2.4ghz than 5ghz. We have no other problems with 5ghz, just with airplay via it.

Anyone else having a constant battle with airplay, and have you managed to get it working how it should?

What are you using to serve up the WiFi and how old are the units?

I find it varies. When we first got our Apple TV 2 it was great, then it went downhill, we bought an Apple TV 3 and it improved then went down hill. Basically we have good and bad times.

I find no rhyme or rhythm to Airplay. I work with Apple TVs at my job and they’re very quirky when issues.

I have also found airplay dropouts are more common . It may be due to the number of wireless devices I have now (over 30?) compared to when I first set it up I only had about 3 wireless devices.

However I also have some sonos speakers and they never dropout.

Apple networking has always been a little funky, AFP can be dodgy, even SMB doesn’t always seem to work as intended on the Mac. I’ve had things that worked perfectly from a Windows machine but seemed to fail on a Mac. For example, my Canon printer has WiFi. From the Mac it’s been a headache from Windows it just always works… of course this could be a driver issue, but restarting the printer always solved the issue.

Airplay audio has always been a little flakey with my devices not consistently showing up and even dropping out on occasion. This was with a few Pioneer A1/A3 units as well as with a Sony mini system.

I was running AirPort Extreme and a Time Capsule for my AP’s, swapping those out for Ubiquity gear seemed to solve those issues (although my wife tells me the printer is playing up for her again)m but the audio stuff has been working flawlessly.

On another track, I do find that the remote app on my phone doesn’t always see the ATV3 in the lounge room (which is wired). Rebooting the ATV solves the issue but maybe talks again to Apple networking wierdness.

I have more success with AirPlay than I do with the Bluetooth in my car :slight_smile:

1 Like

Planned obsolesence? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it was more poor timing with software updates that stuffed around with things.