All things drones (UAVs)

And yet the pelican that I nearly took out at 300ft after takeoff (directly above the end of the runway) in a light aircraft gets away scot-free. It certainly got the heart going!

One good thing about a double dissolution election is that at least you know there will be someone standing who has pledged to get tough on rogue pelicans.

1 Like

The Pelicans are out to get us. I once saw a Pelican smash through the front window of a boat and then proceed to attack the passengers.

Kogan are an official seller of the Phantom and they have it listed on their eBay store… and they have a 15% off promotion (which ends today)… which would make the Advanced 3 $1189.15

Now that is a little tempting… but sadly about $1189 more than I have to spend.

that is really cheap, for what is a very capable machine. We filmed a bunch of stuff using a Phantom 1, 2 way gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+ and it worked really well. Pretty hard to fly!

Glad I saw this post. I was looking at the 3 advanced

This is from an email from CASA last week. I am looking at getting a license at some point. Can fly a plane, but not a drone yet!

To clarify if you are flying an <2kg RPA under the following conditions you will not require a licence:
a) You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of sight
b) You must not fly your RPA higher than 400ft (120 metres) AGL.
c) You must keep your RPA at least 30 metres away from other people
d) You must keep your RPA at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes
e) You must not fly your RPA over any populous areas. These can include: beaches, parks and sporting ovals.
f) You must not fly your RPA over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval).
i. This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, fire and associated firefighting efforts and search and rescue.
g) You can only fly one RPA at a time.

Would you be interested in providing a bit of the surfing / sup footage for me to use as a website background showcase?

It’s currently the same as a CPL whereby if you are operating for profit you need to be employed by someone with an AOC so a license isn’t much help unless you can be bothered doing the ops manual for a UOC and dealing with CASA to get it approved. However, as of September, if you wish to take any form of payment for <2kg drone usage you just need to notify CASA of your intentions to do so and follow their generic Ops manual.

2 Likes

Hi all.

I am thinking of a phantom 4 as my first drone? Is this a bad idea. I figure the technology will reduce my crash chances and enable me to get the shots I need with a lower skill set initially. Or should I get the 3 advanced.

If you can fly a plane you can fly a drone - so long as you aren’t stupid about it. Ease into it and I can’t see any issues with starting on a Phantom 4 aside from the price.

I’d take a guess and say beginners that come unstuck either get tripped up flying it towards them and forgetting the controls are reversed or get a little too close to obstacles trying to get that killer shot.