Apple 7 September 2016 Event thread

Mine also… wired standards are already a rats nest… HDMI and now people want to throw in USB3 into that arena, as well as Thunderbolt using the same port, then all the legacy connectors, DVI, and legacy thunderbolt.

There is no practical nor perceptible reason to move audio cables to USB/HDMI/Thunderbolt what so ever…This isn’t a disk/disc thing this is just being obnoxious because a company can be. Even in the case of digital audio, there is no perceptible difference. All its doing is removing $2.50 worth of components in a DAC/Line out port for no benefit to consumers.

It’s not the first time Apple has dome this, you look at the “digital audio” G4s and the original iMac, the difference is in all of these cases this issue was corrected eventually when they realised what they were doing to the user base.

1 Like

I haven’t been to this site for a long time as I got tired of all the complaining and moaning on Forums in general. The previous forum we all came from once, was a good helpful site of info til it was sold.

Low and behold I check in to see what people think of the iPhone 7 and nothing has changed. Why do people here even use Apple products? I haven’t read one positive comment yet in the 30 odd mins I have been reading various topics. Release of the iPhone 6 back on the other forum received continual moaning from a few about the bigger sizes, now the same moaners are complaining about the removal of the headphone jack.

Here’s an idea… Instead of complaining like a petulant child about why Apple did or, did not do something that you wanted / didnt want, go use another brand of Phone or computer. These forums now seem to reek of self entitlement and the minute its not delivered, toys are thrown out of the cot and tantrums are thrown.

Where have the good old days gone where people would post a problem or issue and have another forum member helping them within minutes with a remedy or answer? Might as well rename this place Whirlpool for Apple

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking this for a while now. Attitudes from people who think Apple owes them a favour.

Thank you for coming out and saying it.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that too, only from a couple of users though, the core are still thoughtful and polite.

It’s interesting though and partly a factor of how far the iPhone has come. When I got my 3G I queued overnight. No way would I do that now. It was such a giant step forward from the nokia brick I’d been using, it was super exciting. We’d seen the original iPhone released in the US, and one or two people I knew brought one over, so there was a huge anticipation for it. The same for the 4 to some extent. The 5 was another jump with a bigger screen, and the 6 brought TouchID and the promise (long time coming in Aus) of ApplePay.

The 7 represents huge jumps in speed and power over the older models, but the anticipation and excitement isn’t as evident, for all the cool features that would be nice to have, there’s nothing I absolutely need, it doesn’t solve any problems I currently have. That’s not to say I won’t upgrade, but I won’t be first in the queue, and I’ll hang on to the 6 for the time being.

Conversely the watch is getting more interesting. I run (slowly) and have a Pebble Time paired with RunKeeper on my phone, but the idea of inbuilt GPS makes the watch attractive for me. Also waterproof, although I’m still not sure about swimming with such an expensive bit of kit on my wrist!

1 Like

personally Im still very interested to see what Apple and other big companies will bring out every year. I’ve never been the type to queue up for any product. Im just shocked to see the attitudes of a minority here, like the world owes them something. I would have hated to see how they handled analogue TV being switched off and being forced to switch to a digital HD TV… ohhhh the humanity!!

Ultimately, technology at this moment is nothing short of brilliant. 15 years ago, if you had of told me you would be surfing this thing called the internet, composing emails, video calling to loved ones anywhere in the world etc etc, I would have laughed in your face. Sadly it seems, we live in a world now where some people focus on what the world isn’t giving them, rather than all the fantastic things that it is.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Back on topic, I ordered a 7 plus 128gb and I can not wait to receive it and appreciate all that it has to offer

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more about negativity taking over lately, which has put me off visiting here.
Have been waiting for the "flogging a dead horse GIF to appear, with the constant complaining about non upgradeable ram, hard drives and removal of head phone jacks, if you don’t like it there are plenty of other products out there that will fill your needs.
Myself, I will getting a iPhone 7 128 gb in black to replace my 5S 16 gb, won’t know what to do with myself with so much storage.
No more having to delete apps to have enough space to upgrade software, hallelujah!

4 Likes

Perhaps I’ve become so frustrated with Apple in the course of my job working with Apple products that I no longer want to see them succeed. I’ve wanted to speak out every time I hear about Apple’s wonderful customer service because I know that customers often don’t receive repairs they’re entitled to and spend my days fighting with Apple so those customers can have a positive experience. Tired of having to cut adhesives and tapes to open machines all so Jony Ive can say the newest model is a hair thinner than the last with his trademark air of smug and grandeur. I can’t stand having my entire life on charge and would much prefer having a cable between me and a good set of headphones that don’t need power and can be used between my phone, my Mac and everything else.

But damn, I’ve been a prick. @AusStang makes a good point.

People here love Apple stuff. If it makes them happy, what right do I have coming in here trying to ruin that? Especially on an Apple discussion forum, of all places. At the end of the day everyone should be able to be happy with and enjoy whatever product they want. Maybe it’s time for me to find something to be passionate about and channel energy into that so I can stop cutting things down.

Sorry crew. With sincerity, I’ll say that I’m glad the event was awesome, and when your new stuff arrives, I hope it’s as great as you could imagine.

5 Likes

This editorial sums it up quite well:

For instance, why is the Cupertino company now struggling to meet pre-order demand for its new iPhone 7 models when everyone knew the next iPhones would be totally boring even before having seen them? The tech media and Apple’s most plugged in analysts were very clear on this all year long.

Apple’s “lack of innovation” was supposed to incite an explosion of interest in Galaxy Note 7 and whet appetites for Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S7. But it’s now quite clear that there wasn’t anything backing up this narrative apart from desperate efforts to erect a false balance.

It brings up a good point re the poor journalism recently around Apple which has fed the opinions of the masses.

I’ve been feeling a bit the same. Can’t help but think of this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

4 Likes

I’ve posted both positive and negative comments about the iPhone 6.

I said that the water proofing is welcome, that the new colors are nice and that the faster processor and extra RAM is great.

I’ve also said that removing the 3.5mm headphone jack is a mistake.

That isn’t ‘moaning’ as you put it, nor is it ‘thinking Apple owes us a favor’.
What it is is commenting in a balanced manner about both the positives and negatives of new releases and that’s why I enjoy discussion sites like Whirlpool and Appletalk (I’ve been there over 12 years and have almost 10,000 posts). Oh and for those automatically assuming I’ve got ‘low’ aura over there I don’t, it’s light. For the non whirlpoolians low aura is highly correlated with trolls.

As the saying goes “if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen”.

oh please, there is no heat in this kitchen, more just a bunch of tech geeks who feel their opinion matters. Apple doesn’t give a shit about me, you or the next bloke. You either buy their products and enjoy them or you don’t? Its not rocket science.

I agree that Apple doesn’t care what you, I or the next bloke think or say but why does that preclude expressing an opinion?

Collingwood doesn’t care what the rest of the AFL think of them but that doesn’t stop people expressing an opinion.

No real difference :slight_smile:

Apple is no longer that good old company, things change, if you’re against people voicing about the changes that have occurred since 1999 and people expressing why its a bad thing, maybe you should stop and reconsider what is going on inside of you about those feelings and reflect on why other people might not agree with what your saying.

And next time if you want to flag a comment why don’t you talk to me about why that is like an adult does rather than throwing your toys out of the pram just because you hear something you don’t agree with.

First they came for the floppy disc and I was OK with that, they gave us USB, then they came for the Ethernet port and Firrewire and confabulated why we neded Thunderbolt, then they came for the DVD-ROM/Blu-Ray excuses wih iTunes, while Blu-Ray discs are still a household used devices and will be especially so with 4K/8K, and HDR content.

Then they started with the solder everything onto the PCB mentality, then they decided that we would stuff up the USB port by confabulating a reason why Thunderbolt had to be the same port as USB.

Now they’ve confabulated an even more bizarre reason called “courage” as to why we need another port we don’t need to do what we’ve been doing for 100 years with the ever adaptable headphone jack which has doubled as a microphone jack and an optical audio port among many other things over the years.

I don’t call that courageous I call that the other c word that ends in unt… And there’s the problem with Apple today. If you find that offensive you should look at yourself first and then get back to me about why this is so.

We head back to the Mezzanine port argument, “don’t do it that way or we’ll take away the port all together” Apple attitude of 1999 all over again http://www.macworld.com/article/1014902/imacboards.html

1 Like

I am interested in the series 2 watch given the GPS chip, though not interested enough to fork out the price for one.

I have also not worn a watch for a very long time, and don’t really like having one on my wrist… maybe I will be a late-late adopter, in a few years from now.

In regards to the overall tone of whiny whiny/sense of entitlement, this seems to parallel how popular apple has become. As more people are interested in their kit, they feel more miffed if what they want does not match what is developed-released.

My use of apple gear, going back many many years, was based on product quality (longevity, environmental standards) and OS/UX. The latter for me has been a longstanding decision. I occasionally use a windows PC, and it is nothing more than painful on the UI/UX front.

I still have an investment in the apple ecosystem based on UI/UX and product quality (thought this seems to have lessened in my experience). Whereas products are increasingly not easily upgradable (and their is a premium for BTO) the need for upgrades is significantly reducing… The OS seems a little less polished/more bugging too.

What is easily keeping me with Apple is their approach to privacy first (I won’t go near any Google offerings), and continued innovation on UI/UX/ID which I hope continues.

As an aside, I sporadically check in with Linux, and plan to install elementary OS

on a surplus PC I can get my hands on. If I see value in it, I may look at dual booting on my MBA.

I’m about the same, what keeps me here is the security and the ecosystem which is still relatively compatible with other people. If I didn’t care about compatibility I would have left for Linux years ago. Yes you can run Virtual Machines natively now, but that defeats the whole point of going to another OS. If I’m using a Mac or Linux I don’t want to have to look at a Windows APIs. If I had any interest in using Windows for any other purpose other than what I associate with “work” I would be using Windows now. I have no interest in Windows, or Microsoft for that matter.

I think you need to calm down. I didnt flag your post. I couldn’t care less what you say to me. Thank you though for assuming, just proves you probably assume a lot about the big bad brand that is Apple too

1 Like

It doesn’t prove anything.

Well before going off half cocked again I suggest you read posts properly. I never said Apple had turned bad or anything of the nature. I made a point of saying this community had gone bad ( not just this forum )… just reaffirmed by your response.

I asked where the good old FORUM days had gone where people were courteous to each other and helpful, instead I just find a majority of negative pessimistic assumptions about what people think they know about the brand that is Apple, like they’re on a mission from the Devil himself to take over the world.

Im done on the subject, I have my answer and Im more than happy to never swing by again but I suggest you have a good hard look at your priorities in life, rather than telling me to look at my feelings in side of me. You’ve clearly got some issues going on if your biggest thing in life is what a computer company is taking away from you. It all comes back to what i said originally… Why do you even use Apple products? Ciao

1 Like
  1. I’m no less helpful than what I was 15minutes ago, you weren’t asking me for advice.
  2. I’ve been using Apple products for a whole hell of a lot longer than what most people here have been.
  3. There is no issue with addressing the way a company targets its consumer.
  4. I honestly don’t believe that Apple gives a stuff about its core users, particularly after the latest Mac Pro. Pro really isn’t a thing with Macs anymore however lamentable you think or don’t think that is. There is nothing “professional” about their products from top to bottom, it’s a moniker like Ghia is to Ford.
  5. I could not care any less if I tried about what you think is going on in my head. You don’t know me, it doesn’t “prove” anything.

Ok I’m done here.

1 Like

Yep, I think we all are. If you wish to continue discussing the event, there’s another topic for that, otherwise, there’s plenty of individual topics about stuff that was brought up during the event.