Apple AC wall plug adapter exchange program

Apple is recalling some wall plug adapters (duckheads) that were shipped with products between 2003 and 2015…

https://www.apple.com/au/support/ac-wallplug-adapter/

Affected adapter:

Unaffected adapter:

The affected adapters have a 4, 5, or no characters inside the slot, whereas the unaffected adapters will have the country or region code.

Serial numbers will need to be verified before Apple provides you with a replacement.

Interestingly, I had a MagSafe 2 power adapter that just up and died. I just checked, and it has an affected duckhead… Probably unrelated, right?

I went through the web solve process and nowhere in the entire thing does it give you the option to replace the duck head that comes with the 1m cable attached. Are they not affected even if they meet the duck head recall requirements as listed?

That one would be three-prong though, wouldn’t it? The recall is for two-prong duckheads.

1 Like

The page says only two-prong wall plug adapters are affected.

I just checked and I’m using one right now to charge my ipad on my desk. I’ve probably got numerous ones at home. However it’s quite likely that the devices that they came with I’ve sold or passed on to family. For instance my iphone 6 came with one of the new small USB chargers so I obviously can’t use that to “exchange”. I might be able to with my ipad or my Macbook Pro, but I’ve also got some chargers that I purchased separately which wouldn’t have serial numbers I don’t think???

To be honest I probably won’t even bother. Long as I’m aware there’s an issue, I’ve used them this long and they seem fine.

Personally it should just be a matter of “send one in, we send you a new one back once we verify it’s an affected one”. Doing it the way Apple are doing it (needing a device serial number) almost guarantees that a heap of the affected units are going to stay in circulation.

Holy hell, I only just realised this is 13 years worth of duck heads. Like, how? What? 12 known + confirmed cases in that period of time doesn’t seem that bad now.

Is there any photo’s or details on what exactly breaks and makes it dangerous?

I’ve always had multiple adaptors so I never have to unplug them and move them (so they get zero strain) which means I’m very unlikely to break them. I just wonder what the issue actually is?

Ironically, even though I have newer products, I’m likely to have older chargers since I was left the old one plugged in (if it was the same style) and put the brand new one unopened, still in it’s plastic wrapping, into the box for the old product I was selling off. (people are very happy when buying last years iPhone to get all of the accessories with the plastic intact ;)).

Oh goodness. There must be at least 20 of these in my household…

What.

Time to do an audit after work…

Unless you or someone you loved was one of the 12 that got electrocuted, but yeah lucky it’s not more

From a quick look around the house I have seven of the affected duckheads from magsafes, iPhone , iPad, battery chargers and on old airport express. Most of the heads have probably been swapped from adaptor to to adaptor.
Might be easier to just take the lot into an apple store for replacement.

I just did a run around the house and through drawers and I have 26 of the affected adaptors!

The 1M extended cable isn’t affected by this issue.

Although it remains strictly a theory at the moment, I believe the issue is the pin assembly and the surrounding plastic separates from the body of the duckhead adapter at the seam, which is consistent with previous reports of adapters failing.

As you can see, the older style adapter on the left has a visible seam around the edge where the face of the adapter meets the body. The newer style adapter on the right is a solid plastic piece with no seam. The 1M extension cable doesn’t use this same design and isn’t prone to the same failure.

Apple is currently replacing all affected duck head adapters free of charge and stock is currently available at Apple Stores and Apple Authorised Service Providers. It is advised to bring the serial number of a device or the device itself at the time of replacement as it may need to be confirmed with Apple, although from what I’m hearing at the present time it doesn’t seem to be a strict requirement. The exchange process itself shouldn’t take long.

The numbers on this must be pretty insane. I mean, 13 years of power adapters, one with every iOS and Mac sold within that period. Granted, not all countries, but I have four on my desk at work right now, all affected by the issue, so yeah, pretty crazy.

What if you have no clue which duckhead is with which device + you’ve purchased additional chargers over the years, been given chargers etc?

2 Likes

None of the duckhead adapters are bound to a particular device, so it shouldn’t matter. Even if you have a serial number of a product that uses a duckhead, regardless of whether the duckhead in question originally shipped with that particular device, it should still be fine.

Apple is requesting the serial number to confirm that it is actually used with a device, but even vintage products are being accepted for service, along with adapters purchased with replacement power adapters and world travel kits which don’t themselves have serial numbers, so presumably there is a way to exchange them in these cases.

If I can confirm this or find information suggesting otherwise I’ll post an update with what I’m able to disclose.

I took my iPad and iPod adapters to the Doncaster Apple store today and they were replaced. Apple had no interest in the serial numbers.

I believe Apple is fast exchanging them through Apple Stores and Service Providers - that is, walk in, swap over and walk out no questions asked - for the next four weeks or so, serial numbers may become more important after then.

Found 14 adapters so far in my household. Wouldn’t be surprised if I found a few more.

Sounds like my plan.

Just the duck head bits?

Oe are they doing the whole adaptor?