Apple Music

Pleased to find out that I’ve actually got 24 months free Apple Music, so still have over a year to go. I am not sure if i’ll still retain that once I use ‘Telstra New Phone Feeling’ though.

No, any recontract (whether it’s a normal one, or “New Phone Feeling” will end your free Apple Music. Think long and hard about using New Phone Feeling; and look into if it might be better for you to recontract and just sell the phone you have, which could well be more worthwhile.

I’ll definitely weigh out the pros and cons once we know what the new iPhone contracts will be, but whether or not I can be patient enough to not get it launch day will be a big factor lol :joy:

I’m enjoying my Telstra Apple Music subscription. Access to things like the new Frank Ocean is nice and access to the old Beats1 radio shows is great too…

I’d consider paying, but $12/month is just a bit much for me. It starts to add up with Netflix etc…

I signed up again for Apple Music last week. Hoping that they have finally made it usable. It’s still very clunky on Mac OS, but it’s usable now at least (and my iCloud Music Library upload went ok on a couple of hundred gigs).

I basically signed up for it for one reason - multi zone airplay of streaming music. I have speakers around the house that are all airplay, and generally stream from my Mac Pro to them, and control via iTunes Remote on iPads/iPhones. Nothing else can do multi zone. :frowning:

So far so good. It’s still a bit clunky, but it works. :slight_smile:

Gosh I hope that iTunes never gets a rebuild where that disappears. It’s a killer feature for me and I kind of can’t believe we still don’t have multi zone from iOS yet. Wifi is fast enough for it now.

For me, $12/month is justified as it means not paying $16.99/album. It works out cheaper in the long run as I’m only buying the albums I really want, but still have access to (almost) everything else.

Yup. Combined with cheap iTunes credit and if you can get it, educational discount it’s pretty good value.

I don’t buy albums from iTunes any more at all.

So don’t know exactly what the deal is with Apple Music and cancelled subscriptions. But I cancelled my latest subscription offered through Telstra a couple weeks ago.

And still have everything that I added to my library still available for playback, happens on songs that I downloaded to the device locally and also with songs that are in the library that need to be streamed.

If I play a song on an album that I’ve added songs to my library from they definitely don’t work.

When you cancel it still works until the rollover date of your last payment. Does that match your experience?

According to Telstra when I cancelled it was the 18th of this month. Cancelled on the 13th is now the 22nd. If it was in my library at still working, maybe it’ll stop at the end of the month.

I have a love hate thing with iOS 10 redesigned apps. Music sucks, Maps, Health and News are good. Notifications and control centre look good, though control centre in iOS 10 sucks. iOS 8.3 had the last good music player IMHO, iOS 9 was better than iOS 10 though.

The problem with a Music is it is trying to make you use the streaming end of the app, or at the very least, see no difference between streaming music and local content. Local storage is less clear to access. This means the user gets confused.

This would be fine if we all had unlimited or data caps so huge we would never use them, but we don’t.
And then there are the poor sods with business phone where the business doesnt allow/provide for streaming non work data.
The only option away from home wifi is locally stored music.

I use an app named Cesium. It is simple like music from older ios versions and just shows local music.

This one of the advantages of Telstra mobiles. Streaming apple music doesn’t count towards your download limits.

1 Like

Yes, on consumer contracts. Not on business contracts.

Yeah, I’ve got no interest in using Apple Music. I just want to be able to use my local music like in iOS 8.3 and below where I could easily switch between Artists, Albums, Songs etc and have the ability to customise the order and what appears on the menu.

I’d like this too but Apple don’t want us to use our own music any more as they don’t make as much money from that so they make it a poor user experience when you try and use your own music, actually scratch that - Apple Music overall is a terrible user experience with a far from intuitive user interface

So today Apple Music was added to PlayStation 5, I’ve been waiting since the PS5 launched.

So far I have a few thoughts.

I buy all of my music, but I have Apple Music as part of my Apple One subscription. I use it to find new music before buying. So I have 3K+ purchased music added to my library. When I shuffled all of my songs, I noticed something.

Currently, it seems to struggle to shuffle a large number of tracks. It kept on playing songs starting with ‘A’ and numbers, and worse than that it would repeat several of those even though ‘repeat’ was off. I imagine this will get ironed out but, but it’s a bit of a rocky start.

There is also limited access to the app from the quick menu, all you see are a bunch of suggested playlists so you can’t do more than that. In order to shuffle all of my music, I had to open the Apple Music app in full. Though Spotify may do the same so this may not be an Apple Music specific thing.

I wasn’t sure whether to make a new topic for this, but this thread hasn’t been touched since 2017 so figured I’d revive it.

1 Like

I combined Apple Music with iTunes Match. Apple music lets you download any songs on the service. iTunes match adds any songs downloaded on your device to your permanent library. At least this is how it should work in theory. Haven’t let my Apple Music sub lapse in years, so don’t know for sure.

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s still a thing, which I like. I buy basically everything on iTunes but occasionally there’s something I’ll have to go and buy a CD for. So it’s a welcome feature in my book