Apple Pay (Wallet)

Apple Pay Cash is ‘less relevant’ when you only think of a payment going through instantly. However, the reason I am keen on Apple Pay Cash is the convienience factor. Being able to pay someone whilst in conversation, including auto-suggestions Of requesting/sending a payment.

One example is a friend messages me and asks if they can borrow $10, the auto-suggestion for Apple Pay Cash comes up and I tap it, enter the amount and confirm the payment. My friend sees immediately that I have sent it through.

Now, is it really that hard to swipe over to your banking app, log in, tap transfer/pay someone, select an amount and contact to send to, then swipe back to your messages app and tell them it’s done? Not really, but it would be much nicer to do it in your messages app, at least for me.

True but the only place you’ll see them is under the Myki card

1 Like

The NPP is more than instant payments.

That convenience factor you talk about is monopolised by Apple for what reason I don’t really understand given some of the things they let the banks do via Siri.

And what happens if that friend happens to be a green bubble. Which could become a major issue given the current pricing structure for an iPhone.

I’m not saying I don’t disagree with you the Apple Pay Cash feature that allows you to pay people is good and it is well implemented but banks are trying to do new things with the NPP.

Some of the neobanks are trying conversational payments which allow you to have these paid back I owe you request conversations in your banking app which people are looking at ways to extend that cross platform cross financial institution.

And then you’ve got banks if you’ve got “Bob” for example saved in your pay anyone address book with your bank that allow you to say hey Siri “Pay Bob $100 back for lunch”.

Which will normally launch your banking app wait for you to quickly authenticate with Touch ID/Face ID automatically have the pay anyone window open and with Bob’s details filled and all you have to do is click pay.

Apple Pay Cash is obviously only something you’d use on an apple device, so that’s already established. It’s not something you’d expect everyone to use, just like iMessage, FaceTime or an iPhone. Almost everyone that I would possibly be exchanging money with in personal use cases have an iPhone, so on the off chance I have to send/receive money from an android user, I’ll just do it the old fashioned way for that exception.

I personally don’t want to have conversations in a banking/third party app about amounts owed when I can just do that in the stock messages app where I’d be talking in the first place. Beem It is an app that’s trying to get you to use them for personal payments but anyone you pay cannot receive your payment unless they sign up for the app within 14 days.

Obviously Beem It isn’t the whole picture, but it’s an example of a banks attempts at changing the way you send/receive money with people you know in a way that doesn’t appeal to me. There’s other stuff brewing of course and different ways the banks are going to approach personal payments but from what I’ve seen so far, Apple Pay Cash is the most appealing to me.

I absolutely will be keeping an open mind though, especially since we may never get Apple Pay Cash.

See I’d like to handle all my money related stuff and request for payments or money in my banking app.

My opinion on this is, Was three banks giving a big f**** you to something I can’t understand they needed to give that to considering they were required to do the New Payments Platform.

But I’ve got a feeling this app was in development and was supposed to be a middleman app between the time before and after the NPP and it was just delayed and just entered the market just before the NPP rolled out.

It’s also a different way of doing it outside the New Payments Platform. As it relied on technology that existed before the NPP.

It’s actually quite interesting how they do it it’s a debit done on your Mastercard or Visa that is then instantly reimbursed to the person you’re giving the money to using the eftpos network to that persons bank account with the card linked in there Beem It account and interesting use of dual scheme debit cards and the existing payment rails.

But yes I agree with you I don’t find it useful at all other than to meet eligibility requirements for ING accounts. My opinion the better way is the customer uses their own banking app and use the New Payments Platform and transfers the money using a PayID for that person.

Yeah for the New Payments Platform continuing to roll out and Open Banking while delayed but still on the way it’s going to be an interesting payment landscape in Australia in the next couple of years.

Yeah… The New Payments Platform continuing to roll out and Open Banking while delayed but still on the way it’s going to be an interesting payment landscape in Australia in the next couple of years.

To be honest the biggest advantage that Apple Pay Cash would’ve had in Australia is to give a big screw you to the banks here and offer a middleman card. Which is the less reported feature of Apple Pay Cash the Cash Card.

But with the market now playing ball I highly doubt this is much of an issue as I think we gonna have less and less holding out happening by the big two.

To be honest I would expect if Apple Pay Cash was to roll out here it would rely on some of the functionality in the New Payments Platform and don’t get me wrong I would love to have an Apple Pay Cash Card and probably would use the Apple Pay Cash functionality to send money to people as well.

I just don’t know where its relevance is going to be long term in the Australian market and to be honest they would be better off using this product to continue to disrupt the payment space in other countries.

Just downloaded Beem, had never heard of it.

What’s the latest with PayID? https://payid.com.au/

That depends on the bank see the spreadsheet here

1 Like

Well, I used ApplePay online for the first time tonight. And CommBank initially blocked it :confused:

Got an SMS from CommBank for confirmation the transaction was genuine, which I did. Reattempted ApplePay and it went through…

That’s hilarious obviously their fraud detection system needs a bit of an update.

At least they’ve confirmed they’re in talks with Apple, I’m looking forward to it

1 Like

Yes I saw this news yesterday. That will be another card I do not have to carry.
debit card - I use cardless cash via my bank’s app
credit card - I use Apple Pay
2nd debit account - I use the halo ring
Myki - can soon use phone - http://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/mobilemyki

I’m impatiently waiting for a digital driver’s licence which SA already has and NSW are trialling

1 Like

That looks really interesting… easy to use and no charging, i like it. But switching accounts agasin… arghh

1 Like

Do what I did. I opened up an EasyTransaction Account (no fees), ordered a ring ($39) and intend to just keep $100 in the account to use occasionally (phone dead, Apple Pay failing (happened to me yesterday, most likely device error), impress friends, wow service staff :slight_smile:)

NB: choosing the right size can be tricky (take my advice)

It’s now official. Westpac New Zealand on board with Apple Pay.

That now means both of the two big banks holding out on Apple Pay in Australia have Apple Pay in New Zealand.

3 Likes

Over the last couple of months I’ve been moving towards having a spreadsheet for each country called Digital Wallets Support and today I finished the spreadsheet for New Zealand and I have now pushed this live for everyone.

Available Here
Digital Wallets Support in NZ.
Permanent Redirect: https://www.usernext.org/s/nz/digitalwallets

Have been working on this new layout and design for several months now it takes everything I’ve learnt over the last few years and steps it up.

And it serves as an indication of what will be available on the Australian version I would love people to take a look and any feedback is welcome. Publicly here or privately in our discord server or via email is fine.

The Australian version will start with Google Pay and then will eventually deprecate the Apple Pay one in there as well. Work has already started on this and I’ve released it as a private access spreadsheet for people in our discord channel.

We’ve also started a spreadsheet for Wallet Passes (Loyalty Cards), Transport Systems and Online/Apps Acceptance. A public release of this is on hold at the moment but time permitting should be out in a month or two.

Work has already started on this and I’ve released it as a private access spreadsheet for people in our discord channel it’s currently a blank spreadsheet at the moment data will be converted over as it’s completed from the private spreadsheet but as I mentioned earlier this is not a priority at the moment.

1 Like

We have the mySA GOV app now, which has digital copies of our licenses and car registration. It’s actually a pretty polished app.

I haven’t seen any authorities say we can use it in lieu of our physical license, so for now I still take my wallet with me when I’m driving.

1 Like

Suncorp added eftpos Support for Apple Pay on Tuesday, 7 May 2019 Notably for dual-network cards joining ANZ to be the second bank offering this functionality.

Like with ANZ you manually have to re-add your card once you do so you’ll be presented with a menu that allows you to choose which payments network the card will use. Can read more about the process here in Apple’s Support Documentation.

This will now allow for Suncorp Visa debit customers to get cash out at point of sale at select merchants in Australia and avoid credit/debit surcharges on contactless payments that normally are incurred when you use the Visa payment network at merchant that choose to surcharge.

Press Releases: eftpos and Suncorp

2 Likes

Thought about it… for a long time… I think I’ll wait til theres a ring with all the functionality of a payment system, as well as a sleep thing. In the meantime I’ll stick with Apple Watch. The ring is a great idea, and unobtrusive, but… not yet for me.

1 Like

Is this new? Or has wishful thinking got the best of me?

“Express travel pass”