Apple Pay (Wallet)

EFTPOS is joining the Apple Pay network or so I read so you won’t need a credit card to use it soon, just an EFTPOS key card that’s not a visa or master card debit card.

I’m an idiot. That’s PayPal not Apple Pay.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Android Pay coming in 2016

So here’s an interesting update, here’s a quote from an article I was reading which was published on 15-12-2015.

“Apple’s Australian representative for Apple Pay, Marj Demmer, is making a new offer to banks now which it is understood includes taking a lower cut of Visa and MasterCard’s interchange fees.”

Marj Demmer’s LinkedIn profile says that her role within Apple is solely Apple Pay in Australia and has been in this role since September 2015.

It seems that Apple is stepping up their efforts in getting Apple Pay here, which can’t come soon enough.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Good. The battle of the rich companies. Hopefully consumers win in the end.

If you have the discipline to pay off the credit card on time every month, taking maximum advantage of the interest free period, you can actually save interest on the money that stays in your savings account until the CC payment date. The money is taken out immediately with a debit card.

Granted, this is only significant if you spend a lot if money each month, but we put everything on our credit card except the mortgage. All our insurance, electricity, rates, water, school fees for three, iTunes, PayPal, groceries, fuel, servicing and rego for two cars etc. it all adds up.

Also, the credit card has fraud protection a debit card has not.

1 Like

Due you think this has anything to do with the situation

Apple And Australia

I have no idea what point that article is attempting to make.

That article is just an embarrassing mix of misinformation. Of course, the age journo based it on an AFR article by Neil Chenilworth, which was a mistake right there.

I guess it just wanted to comment about the whole situation, but it was that snippet of information I quoted that stood out for me.

I was commenting on the age article that was all over the shop linked to by Maclab, Dan. Not your link.

I was replying to bennyling

Who’s on first?

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

Which bank is on first?

If I were to guess, since any guess is as good as another, I’d say maybe ANZ. On Marj’s LinkedIn page her interests are Apple and ANZ.

ANZ previously said they have no plans for it and are working on a competing payment system.

Yeah, good luck with that.

My opinion is somewhat biased but, I don’t really think that anything that ANZ would come up with themselves would work better than Apple Pay.

I just got a response from Westpac in regards to Apple Pay.

‘Hi Dan, thanks for getting in touch. We don’t have an expected time as to when we’ll be implementing Apple Pay, but we’ll make sure to let our customers once we do. Cheers, Sean.’

It’s not exactly a confirmation but, possibly it means that Westpac reps have been told that it’s coming but no confirmed time. Especially since I also messaged Commonwealth Bank and they gave me a ‘no answer answer’ and ANZ told me that they are working on their own thing ‘for now’

Westpac’s response is almost identical to CommBank’s Twitter response whenever it gets asked.

Commonwealth Banks response was much more neutral and con-confirming as it could possibly be, Westpacs seemed much more hopeful.

"We’ll be sure to announce any future enhancements to our apps when they’re ready for our customers’