Apple Pay (Wallet)

shrug

All the big banks banks are evil but Bendigo are ‘less evil’, so yeah it’s a lesser of evils choice.

The other ones listed are mostly tiny and lack nationwide and international facilities which I need.

Even Me Bank (which is one of the better known and larger small banks is only one tenth the size of Bendigo Bank, which in turn is only one third the size of the smallest of the big 4).

Still not supported [Express Transit mode] in Sydney (Opal/TfNSW) it seems.

Randomly appeared in my iMessage app, not caused by iOS update or anything since my phone was updated ages ago. Don’t think it means anything but while it’s on my mind, anyone heard anything new about Apple Cash possibly reaching our shores?

And just a heads up to the people on here Westpac went live with Apple Pay today.

2 Likes

ME Bank went live with Apple Pay today.

3 Likes

Heritage Bank also went live today.

2 Likes

Any glaring omissions in Australia? Are all medium to large financial institutions on Apple Pay?

I’ve been a supporter of digital wallets ever since they were introduced. I’ve emailed many organisations over the years suggesting they add their memberships cards and passes to Wallet.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about MEbank Tony.
I have been pushing them for years to do Apple Pay.

After Westpac Group and then Westpac finally added support we discussed it in my chat room and we came to the conclusion that the biggest hold outs left probably were the two that released today and Bank of Queensland.

Discussion at the time was that heritage would be probably the biggest hold out along with Bank of Queensland for possible technology integration issues.

Heritage’s released today is good news specially if they decide to extend it to a lot of cobranded products or products they issue on behalf of someone else as they are the literally the largest provider for companies operating prepaid cards in Australia or other co-branded products.

Unfortunately so far it doesn’t look like it’s been extended to these products as of yet but that’s not unusual it normally requires agreements to be in place before it’s implemented.

Would be a handful of other smaller institutions but the list is getting quite thin these days.

Remember most of the smaller ones got their implementation of Apple Pay via their partnership for card issuing with Cuscal. The small ones left either don’t use them or have an opted to turn it on.

Not to get political one quite large thing out there left is probably the governments “Cashless Welfare Card” issued by indue. Has even been discussions regarding that not that I can find them at the second.

We’ve just recently had Apple push this page out Apple Pay - Where to Use - Apple (AU) last month I believe.

Notably we gained Harvey Norman supporting Apple Pay their implementation is a little wonky requires your user agent to be mobile Safari in desktop Safari to be able to use Apple Pay on your computer or to hand it off directly to your iPhone to complete payment.

McDonald’s also came on board around the same time for their in app ordering.

We lost JB hi-fi as an Apple Pay supported merchant earlier/late last year can’t remember exactly when.

Online acceptance and in app acceptance of Apple Pay are the biggest shortcomings in Australia now.

Along with transport system cards and the total lack of passes from providers here in Australia.

No transport systems have had their passes/cards approved and no transport systems that have general access using your normal payment cards have had express transit mode enabled on them in Australia.

However in regards to loyalty cards/passes Qantas just rolled out their frequent flyer program members with a bear minimum pass as well as IKEA. However there are still a lot of large merchants that could be rolling their loyalty cards out as passes notably flybuys.

And now to circle back around to payment cards the biggest thing we’re seeing at the moment is dual-network debit cards support in Apple Pay rolling out with more and more institutions.

A handful of the most recent implementations Westpac Group and Westpac have included this at launch and a couple of other recent launches.

The functionality has also recently been added alongside Mastercard cards where it was only previously available with banks using Visa. Westpac being the first Mastercard provider doing it followed by ME Bank today.

In the last month also we’ve seen a lot of institutions revisit their implementations of Apple Pay mostly via Cuscal and turn on dual-network debit cards.

So I think this is the new thing to keep an eye out for in regards to Apple Pay integration. However we haven’t seen anyone go back apart from one or two outside of the ANZ and add additional functionality in other areas when it comes to their Apple Pay implementations.

The only other thing we have seen completed as an after upgrade is the ability for cards to be updated on expiry or loss stolen.

Me and Tony haven’t really been that active in here as of late. Mostly because we are concentrating on our own chat room these days.

One other thing we noted today is terms and conditions are now popping up for Velocity Global Wallet but it’ll be interesting to see what happens they’re the ones that published a video part of their website redesign back in December 2018 promoting digital wallet support but it never came.

1 Like

Qantas CC still don’t support Applepay, my primary credit card.

If they don’t by the time the annual fee looms I’ll be cancelling it. Don’t carry a wallet anymore so don’t use it. Dumb Qantas Money.

1 Like

Thanks @Kyle-K I wasn’t aware that Westpac group had added dual network cards, couple of shops I visit charge for credit card transactions but now I can leave my wallet at home!

Just had a dodgy transaction on my westpac credit card, so had to cancel and get a new card issued (hate that). Anyway, it takes a week or so to arrive, but I was able to set up a new digital card version through the app so I can use Apple Pay immediately. Awesome.

1 Like

I had exactly the same experience, had to cancel my ANZ visa, and Apple Pay was up and running with the new card within 15-20 minutes of canceling the old card.

In unrelated news, I am loving websites that support Apple Pay for online purchasing. Just makes things so much faster. Just need to find more that do it.

Remember these products are cobranded so it’s normally a lengthy agreement process between the issuing bank and the brand on the card.

The good news is at least we now know that something Citigroup is willing to offer to there cobranded customers as other cobranded cards have had Apple Pay added to them.

Just a matter of these two parties coming together and agreeing.

@Shiny1 yeah one of the features that Westpac Group Brands and and Westpac themselves decided to roll out in their implementation definitely a great feature to have if you need it.

While good that you’re able to do this you shouldn’t of had to do it in the first place Westpac should definitely implement the functionality that allows them to have the customer do nothing and send card updates directly into Apple Pay.

This was disappointing to discover a few weeks back when talking about their implementation elsewhere.

Yeah card updates in Apple Pay is a very good feature have had to use it a few times normally doesn’t take as long as normally no more than 10.

Yeah unfortunately this is where the Apple Pay shortcomings are at the moment.

Looks like both Apple and now ANZ are running a campaign promoting these apps

https://www.anz.com.au/promo/personal/ways-bank/couch-pay/

That’s quite interesting Kyle. In regard to auto updates for the card, I just assumed it was because of the security card, which changes every day until we activate the new physical card.
But I can also see, particularly when going through the app to enable it, why that should not be necessary.

So this is something that Westpac’s introduced not available at Westpac Group Brands yet.

They’ve called it Digital Card Which essentially just gives you a digital representation of your physical card in their banking app.

They’ve added an additional feature a rolling CVC more commonly called a Dynamic CVC which is quite easy to do when you’re providing a digital representation of your card however some physical cards now have this functionality also.

As far as I’m aware this functionality should remain after you’ve activated your card in the digital representation of your card in their mobile banking app.

No it’s simply looks like they’ve chosen not to implement automatic updating of Digital Wallets like Apple Pay when changes in regards to lost stolen or expire card events happen over at Westpac and Westpac Group Brands hopefully they will eventually add this functionality like others have after the fact.

They’ve also chosen to require you to manually enter the data shown using their “Digital Card” into your digital wallets. Instead of using the mechanism built in the three largest digital wallet platforms that would allow them to add a button to do this in their mobile banking apps and requiring nothing else other than verification to be done by the user during this process.

This functionality also can be set up so it doesn’t require the new card or a brand-new customer to have the physical card and activate the physical card before it’s arrived in the mail.

While direct support for these functions would’ve been better at least at Westpac with the"Digital Card" feature you’re not entirely up shit creek when stuff goes wrong.

Something is always better than nothing and there’s a lot of other banks that do support nothing so you’d be stuck waiting for your physical card.

Update on my Qantas CC rant, provided feedback to them that it’s not ok to not use Apple Pay. To their credit they phoned and said words to the effect that they are ‘working on it’… read ‘negotiating with Apple’ I suspect, so maybe it’s on the way.

1 Like