Apple Pay (Wallet)

Thanks for trying, hopefully the quarterly earnings from Apple is when we hear something, very wishful hopeful thinking :grin:

This is very encouraging

The fact that MasterCard Australiaā€™s official Twitter account is posting this just today is a good sign

Iā€™ve been travelling for the last couple of months, hence my lack of posting here, and had a brilliant experience with Apple Pay and Amex.

You get a notification on your phone whenever your card is used, whether itā€™s through Apple Pay or by the card itself.

I got a notification for some transactions I didnā€™t recognise (about $3,000 of flights on a Spanish airline). I called Amex immediately, and they cancelled the card and went through the fraud questions. No problems at all.

However the best thing was that a new card number was issued within 30 minutes of me phoning Amex, and loaded onto Apple Pay automatically. Therefore even though the card I had couldnā€™t be used any more and I wouldnā€™t get the new one until my return to Aus (they would have couriered it overseas but I was moving around a bit so chose to wait), I could use Apple Pay straight away.

Curiously though Iā€™d say Apple Pay is more widely accepted in Australia than the US. Perhaps itā€™s just where I shopped, but lots of places in the US didnā€™t have the Tap/Paywave reader thing, and some that did have it still didnā€™t take Apple Pay.

Anyway, I was slightly skeptical about using my phone to pay for things, as seen on an earlier post on this thread, but Iā€™m now 110% of a convert! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It just seems so awesome, Iā€™m just impatiently waiting until SOMEONE brings it (besides Amex)

Why donā€™t you just sign up for an AMEX credit card if you want to use it today? AMEX is accepted at more retailers than you might think (shop small campaign sticker on windows, big retailers, etc).

Iā€™m not sold on credit cards in general, so I wouldnā€™t sign up for an AMEX credit card just for Apple Pay.

Signing up for a bank account with another bank just for Apple Pay is one thing, but getting a credit card when youā€™d never have one normally is something else entirely

1 Like

So I just read this article about how theyā€™re going to start using NFC for using public transport in NSW

That would be awesome actually, hopefully they bring that to Victoria. It would mean no fumbling around for my Myk cardi, Iā€™d just wave my ļ£æWatch in front of the terminal. Further reducing the amount of cards I have to carry.

You donā€™t have to use a credit card for credit (if youā€™re disciplined). I pay mine off every month and never borrow on it. The only time I use my debit/EFTPOS card is in an ATM.

If thereā€™s fraud on your account you can sort it out before you pay your bill, whereas for a debit card the fraudulent transaction comes out of your bank account and you donā€™t have access to that money until you sort it out with the bank.

1 Like

I guess theyā€™re great for some people but, I donā€™t know, I just donā€™t wanna dive into it.

Quick update, some guy on Twitter apparently came across this while trying to access ā€˜applepay.anz.comā€™

4 Likes

Itā€™s happening!

2 Likes

Just a matter of when, and I hope commonwealth bank is included. Iā€™ll open one with ANZ of course if I have to but would be easier if Commonwealth Bank were on board

Mate the number of times Iā€™ve read that you would open a bank account with any bank to use Apple Pay Iā€™d be disappointed if you didnā€™t.

4 Likes

My Apple Pay works great but I find it quite restrictive using Amex. Hopefully NAB comes onboard soon.

Fingers crossed we hear something in just over 3 days :grin:

Duly noted, In future Iā€™ll try and keep my enthusiasm to a minimum

(Iā€™ve made reference to changing banks about 4 times in about a year and a half)

1 Like

Oh please let it happen

1 Like

Iā€™m not technically experienced enough with this sort of thing to confirm if this is proof that the Apple Pay section of ANZā€™s website exists but it could be.

1 Like

I like that the Melbourne Storm captain has time to do these things :slight_smile:

This just further adds to the rumours.

The link leads to a page thatā€™s all about NFC on android. The fact that they used the word ā€˜iOSā€™ on the advertisement is a bit of a slip up on their part.

Having dinner with brother in law who is a senior Exec in ANZ. He confirms that ANZ and a few other banks will announce Apple Pay in a few weeks.

6 Likes