Apple Watch

In a few years, when the Apple Watch can detect heart irregularities, you’d be crazy not to wear one. Even more so because you haven’t worn a watch in years and can’t justify the cost.

I fail to see the logic in that, why would the fact that I haven’t worn a watch in years and can’t justify the cost of an Apple Watch mean that I would be more inclinded to need to monitor heart irregularities?

Don’t you mean in WatchOS4? That was part of the presentation and I can’t wait for it, because I do have irregularities and one day they are going to kill me dead. I’d like to be able to keep tabs on them, for my cardiologist. The only thing I am unsure of is whether I will also need a series 3 watch. But, if I do, I’ll get one. I have no need of GPS or LTE for the watch so if I dont need to have it for the heart arrhythmia detection, I’ll stick with my 1.

[edit] All good, working on Series 1, no need for me to get a new watch.

1 Like

This is a worrying read…

Hopefully Apple sort these issues out!

Oh dear, after reading that I’m starting to doubt my cellular Apple Watch purchase. Add to that I’m a Vodafone customer so I have to wait for VF support later in the year.

Hopefully it’s not as bad as it seemed to the Verge (although they did still need to swap out the device first, which is a worry!)

That said, Gruber experienced no problems…

Hmm… :frowning_face:

The Series 0 already take regular heart rate measurements so I don’t quite understand what this feature wouldn’t work unless it’s designed around an even more aggressive monitoring scheme that battery wouldn’t permit.

I wonder if Apple considers the age of the batteries in the original watches too… as in they are performing at a lower level now that they are older, working on the assumption that very few people ever upgrade/replace the battery.

I think thats very likely. I am not getting as much time out of a full charge as I was before this update, and I have actually switched off the checking for elevated heart rate (which is what I wanted it for) and will keep an eye on battery use for the next day or so. I could be wrong, in which case i’ll switch it on again.

Free for 3 months then $5.00 per month
https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/one-number?_ga=2.218870224.817977403.1506044943-1870889453.1495717115

1 Like

I’m thinking of dumping my Charge 3 for an Apple Watch, one question I can’t glean from Apple.com is, does it track heart rate while swimming?

I know it monitors heart rate for walking, running and cycling — so likely does so for swimming as well

Hmmm, maybe. The website doesn’t say that so I’m not sure. Any Watch owning swimmers out there who would know?

Yep, it tracks heart rate, together with lengths, styles, total distance, active KJ, total KJ, splits and heart rate recovery

Obviously nothing like first-hand information from your fellow AppleTalker, but Apple’s support articles are a great way to go in-depth with individual features.

Ah ha! There it is…”water might prevent a heart-rate measurement”…
So sometimes, maybe, seems the answer.

cheers Bennyling and Snarl.

Ok, after lot of research and uhm’ing and ar’ing, I bought the Series 5 a few weeks ago.

Have to say, I love it!

Wore both it and the Fitbit Charge 3 for a week for comparison, and the A/Watch seems to be more accurate re activity. Tracks any activity or exercise effortlessly and accurately (including swimming and surfing). Love that the GPS tracks ocean swims. Now if it could just see the sharks…

Love the millions of other potential features made available to it by an expanding App Store. Setting up via my iPhone added dozens of Apple Watch equivalent Apps and added them to the it).

Love the screen and the customisablilty. There must be hundreds of thousand of home screen combinations to choose from.

The only thing that it has come up short compared to the Charge is sleep tracking. I run four sleep Apps to test on the A/Watch, none of them come close to the accuracy of Fitbit’s sleep tracker. Hopefully Apple will bring its own sleep tracking to future Watch OS.

I thought the 18-hour battery life may be a problem, but it hasn’t proven to be. I find I take my device off when I get home from work anyhow - so that’s when it goes the charger. I then wear it to bed, meaning I’m wearing it for about 19-hours p/d, and when it goes on the charger there has been 50% charge still remaining. That means it would go 30+ hours I suspect between charges (I have always-on screen ‘off’).

In all, very happy with my Apple Watch :blush:

2 Likes

I suspect I will buy an Apple Watch one day. Would like a front camera and Face ID.

Was about to ask a question but I’ve found the answer myself. Yes there is a CommBank app for Apple Watch and yes it has the cardless cash feature. That’s awesome.

Which apps are you using? I also use four and between the four usually get one or more thats close to reality.

Most tracking apps can be brought into Apple’s health app which leaves me wondering if you would be best served to use the Apple Watch during the day and a separate device for sleep tracking (while the Apple Watch is getting it’s much needed daily charge).

I toyed with the idea of using a second Apple Watch over night (when I upgraded and had a spare) for sleep tracking but honest didn’t see any real benefits, something I should revisit again with my old Gen 3 watch…

And yes, the Gen 5 is pretty amazing, even coming from a Gen 3 was magical with it’s new improved face and always on display.