Apple's March 2016 Event Wrap Up, Everything Small Is New Again Edition

If you were thinking that the rumours spoiled Apple’s announcements earlier this morning, you’re probably right. Apple’s event earlier today was short and sweet, getting to the point without spending undue time on product demos or lengthy monologues from invited guests — so while those wanting a little more were left somewhat disappointed, there will still plenty to get excited about.

If you prefer the spoiler-free version, you can watch the Keynote on Apple’s website or pour over the new, smaller, products over at Apple’s website. There’s a pretty cool new Apple Watch mini-site, too, otherwise, read one for a summary of everything that was announced.

Did I call it, or did I call it? Apple CEO Tim Cook kicked off the event by telling us about over 1 billion Apple devices in use around the globe, which is why Apple is now such a proponent of the security of customer data, especially when it comes to the government and customer privacy. Apple is fighting the good fight because they believe they have a significant responsibility.

As part of that, Apple is striving to make the world a better place than they found it. Apple’s environmental initiatives were explained by Apple VP of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson, who said that Apple has 93% of their worldwide operations running on renewable energy, with the US, Australia, and China among those running on 100% renewable energy, whether’s that’s generated from solar farms shared with Yaks in China, or purchased from existing renewable energy sources.

Apple COO Jeff Williams told us about Apple’s foray into medical research with HealthKit, ResearchKit, and now, CareKit. While ResearchKit is providing breakthroughs in data on existing conditions that just weren’t possible before, CareKit will extend that to after-treatment care, dynamically updated depending on your particular symptoms.

Apple Watch

nylon-band-scubablue-201603Those of us expecting new Apple Watch bands weren’t disappointed, with new colours for both Sport and leather bands, along with a new Space Black Milanese Loop. There’s also an entirely new woven nylon band that comes in a variety of exciting colours and features a four-layer construction, and in Australia, the new Woven Nylon Apple Watch band is just $79.

The Apple Watch also got a minor price drop, with the 38mm Apple Watch Sport going from $499 to $429, and the 42mm Sport from $579 to $499 in Australia.

Apple TV

A major Apple TV software update will be released today, bringing improvements to dictation, Siri on the App Store, iCloud Photo Library, Live Photos, and Folders. It’s all the same stuff that was, up until recently, being tested as part of tvOS 9.2.

iPhone SE

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Apple VP of iPhone Marketing Greg Joswiak on stage, but his introduction of the iPhone SE shows that he’s got as much presentation chops as the rest of Apple’s execs. As for the iPhone SE, well, it looks identical to the iPhone 5/5s series, besides being available in Rose Gold. Under the hood, the iPhone SE has been equipped with the same A9 SoC as found in the iPhone 6s, as well as the same 12-megapixel, 4K-capable rear camera. And no camera bump!

In Australia, the iPhone SE will be available for $679 for the 16GB and $829 for the 64GB versions, respectively. Pre-orders open on Thursday, with devices shipping a week later on March 31st.

Joswiak also took the opportunity to talk about a few new features as part of the iOS 9.3 update, which should be out later today. Night Shift, Touch ID-protected Notes, and new features for News, CarPlay, and Apple devices in education round out the major new stuff.

iPad Pro

The reins were then handed to Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, who had the pleasure of introducing us to the newest and smallest member of the iPad Pro family. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro is small only in size, with the display being one of the best they’ve ever put into an iPad; lower reflectivity, higher brightness, better colours and saturation. There’s also some crazy technology called True Tone that uses ambient light sensors to not only sense how bright your surroundings are, but also the colour temperature, which allows the display on the smaller iPad Pro to adjust its output to better match your environment, just like a piece of paper would.

Of course, the iPad Pro also supports Pro-level accessories, with the Apple Pencil and smaller version of the Smart Keyboard being made specifically for the smaller device. Interestingly enough, the upgraded 12-megapixel, 4K-capable camera on the iPad Pro has the same bulge as found on the iPhone 6/6s.

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro comes in 32GB, 128GB, and for the first time, 256GB capacities, retailing at $899, $1,149, and $1,399 for the Wi-Fi versions, otherwise $1,099, $1,349, and $1,599 for Wi-Fi and cellular. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro also gets the 256GB capacity for what is a quite serious price of $1,749 for Wi-Fi, or $1,949 for Wi-Fi and cellular, although the smaller iPad Pro is the only model to be available in Rose Gold.

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro will be available for pre-order on March 24th, shipping a week later on March 31st.

And that was all she wrote. Tim Cook wrapped things up with a final note about how this was going to be the last Apple Event in Town Hall, with Apple planning to move to their new campus and new auditorium next year. If you missed out, you can watch the Keynote on Apple’s website or pour over the new, smaller, products over at Apple’s website. There’s a pretty cool new Apple Watch mini-site, too.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/03/apples-march-2016-event-wrap-up-everything-small-is-new-again-edition/

1 Like

Glad I didn’t stay up. Thanks for the summary!

1 Like

No updates to iMacs? Guess I can order one now, unless someone thinks updates are on the way?

is NightShift available for iPhone 5 ?

No sadly, its only for 64bit (5S/Air1/Mini2/Touch6) and up.

Great :’( Apple’s found a way to make those who just want a top of the line iPad in 9.7 inch pay wayyyyyyyy more.

Probably best place to make an informed decision on the iMac: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

I like the 9.7 iPad Pro but I can’t really justify it.

Feeling the same way myself and keep promising I wont support them any more as it is getting harder and harder. I always bought the 64GB Cellular (currently already have the Air 1 and 2) which were around $900 and $999 respectively from memory… now more than $1300!.. (no 64GB so have to get the 128GB). Sigh.

1 Like

I simply wanted an iPad Air 3 with the processor and ram from the iPad Pro at the normal iPad price. The Air 2 is too old to justify buying, and it will cost me $1350 for a 128GB model as Apple skimped and made 32GB standard with not 64 GB model. The equivalent Air 2 would have cost $970. I paid $670 for my iPad 2 (64GB + 3G), so I’ll guess I’ll be hanging onto the iPad 2 for a while yet.

The rose gold iPhone 5SE is quite pretty! The other half is still rocking his iPhone 5S and he might actually get the SE as he prefers the size :slight_smile:

I’ve already read that SE stands for “So Expensive”. As for the ipad prices… ridiculous.

I’m glad there is a new 4 inch phone. The 6 and 6S are too big for me so i’m glad there is an option that keeps my beloved iPhone 5 design alive but has new internals.

The SE is actually quite good value when yo uthjink about it… expensive in Australia but then again, $679 for top of the line iPhone specs (ignoring lack of 3D touch) is actually good.

iPad prices on the other hand are stupid.

I noted there was no mention of the iPad Pro 9.7 inch battery life. Given its as thin as the iPad Air 2, I’m not feeling overly positive about battery… I can almost guarantee my iPad 2 will be able to beat it for battery life, given I get 18 hours of usage.

Go for the 64GB since it’s capable of taking 4k videos! :smile:

Yeah, no iPhone capable of 4K video should be sold with 16GB of storage - 32GB should be the baseline and Apple knows it.

1 Like

We were talking about the sizes at work this morning, it seems the bean counters have come to the conclusion that it’s worth making this delineation. Surely it must be costing only a couple of $$ for the extra storage? How many extra people do they have step up to the larger storage model because of this? How many wouldn’t if the base was 32/64GB in the iPhone/iPad spaces?

I suppose that extra $250 is great for shareholders and they still get to advertise the “starting at” price at that lower level.

The best explanation I have heard is that business/education don’t have huge storage requirements so cheaper is better for them. I know most of our work iPads/iPhones get minimal use at best from most people. I do wonder what proportion of devices end up in business vs personal?

On the phones, I don’t get the fragmented model line up. How do they decide which features get into which model?

Keeping last years model around as a cheaper alternative made some sense when you can get this years and last years models. It allowed them to exhaust the supply chain for the old model without rendering them all “old” and worthless overnight.

Now we have a small, medium and large phone, each with different features, different ranges of storage etc etc. Plenty of people loved the 5/5S form factor but also want the cutting edge features. Surely it would have made more sense to have all three on a common feature set + last years models. (I understand it’s pretty close, but why for example are they sticking with the Gen1 touch ID sensor?).

Apple seem to be falling back into the trap that brought them undone originally - having too many product options. Definitely not saying they’re going to become bankrupt again but it confuses the average consumer.

I am liking the 4" form factor though. Have held out from the 6 and 6s but my beloved 5 is starting to fall apart slightly so this is welcomed at $400 less than the equivalent 64gb iPhone 6s.

1 Like

I don’t think having an extra screen size confuses people, but the way they’ve implemented is confusing… You pay less for the iPhone SE than the 6 and 6+ but the SE actually has the internals of a 6S… but with a stupid name?

There should just be a 4, 4.7 and 5.5 variant of the top of the line iPhone… that would simplify things.

1 Like

I wonder if perhaps this is a transition model? I reckon it’s possible they have realised they should keep a small phone and were caught on the hop and are likely already too far into the design of the iPhone 7 to change it to have 3 sizes.

So maybe the SE is supposed to stay until the iPhone 8 arrives in 3 sizes (if the SE is still selling well which is 2 years away.)

In other words, the iPhone offerings could be:

2015: SE, 6, 6S
Currently the 6 is a big of an anomaly as it’s lower powered than the entry SE, but there is still the screen size argument in the 6’s favour, but clearly it’s a dead model soon!

2016: SE, 6S, 7
Later this year, the entry SE and mid tier 6S are differentiated by screen size and touch ID so that works. The new 7 likely available in only 2 sizes.

2017: SE, 7, 7S
The entry SE is effectively the standard ‘2 y.o. entry level phone’ instead of still offering 6S as the entry level free phone, as they need a 4 inch option.

2018: SE, 7S, 8
iPhone 8 could arrive in 3 sizes (as it would be the next external case redesign after 7).

Just thinking out loud… :slight_smile:

Yeah. I much preferred a single flagship phone, with last years model as the cheap option. Made it so simple, not for us, but for making recommendations to relatives or friends.

CGP Grey came up with a possibility in one of the episodes of Cortex, I can’t remember his exact wording, but it was along the lines that it’s possible that Apple struggles to get their hands on as many 16GB storage chips as they do and are literally buying as many as they can. If they were to make a 32GB phone, this would require twice the amount of 16GB chips as the 16GB phone, thus requiring them to halve the amount of bottom end iPhones they can produce. If they were to use 32GB chips instead of 2x16GB, this could interfere with the 64GB (which less face it, is the proper base model) production.

What I don’t get with the business/education market tactic is, if that’s the reason for the 16GB, then I think it’s more likely that Apple would keep the iPhone 6 at 16GB and then start the 6S at 32GB.

I agree - I’d like each flagship model to be available in the 3 sizes!!

The new nylon bands look good too! I can see one of them replace my black sports band as my daily, non work wear band.