Apple's September 2015 Event Wrap Up, Never-Have-I-Ever Edition

Apple’s September 2015 event had basically everything we were expecting, and then some things we didn’t. But it wasn’t what Apple announced on stage that was the interesting part, it was the way they went about it. Without further ado… Apple Watch Update Apple opened proceedings with a quick update about the Apple Watch, then got straight to business announcing…

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/apples-september-2015-event-wrap-up-never-have-i-ever-edition/

1 Like

The iPhones are getting a bit feminine these days, aren’t they? I’d love to see black back again, or even the infamous 5C plastic on iPhone 6 models…that’d be sweet!

Was it just me or did the force touch seem quite slow?

Loving the Apple TV…yep it’ll be a day one purchase here using the Apple Talk affiliate link :wink: And don’t forget, folks, Nintendo are making mobile games now so we can look forward to some of that IP on Apple TV at some point too! It was weird how she spent a minute talking about screen savers though as if anyone cares.

Like I said in the other thread, iPad Pro looks very cool, but it’s not a full OS tablet like the Surface so while it competes well it’s still not the winner in that class.

In the videos I only saw one guy resting his palm on the screen, while the others all looked like they were doing their utmost not to touch it - some unnaturally so. I really hope palm rejection is built in too and isn’t just app-based.

Those AU 6S prices :cry:

But actually cheaper for most models than the US on an exchange rate basis, even before you add US sales tax.

2 Likes

$1,000 for a phone is like some kind of mental limit for me. The 64GB iPhone 6 was $999 at launch, so the thought of paying $1,229 for the updated model just seems weird.

I have Telstra’s new phone plan option so I’ll be able to upgrade (with re-contract) soon but seeing the new prices makes me think that the phone payment will increase substantially.

A couple of things I thought about when watching the keynote - why is it called Force Touch on the Watch, and 3d Touch on the iPhone for what is essentially the same thing? Even Craig Federighi used the wrong term at one point!

Also I couldn’t help think about how cool a subscription model for TV shows and movies would be with the new AppleTV, because you still have to rent or purchase anything you want to watch, don’t you?

The iPhone upgrade plan is super interesting, and I hope it comes out here soon!

I think I saw somewhere it’s being renamed to 3D Touch on the watch as well.

Those new prices are a little eye watering, but with a shitty dollar I suppose thats to be expected.

My wife had no desire for the iPhone 6 over her iPhone 5S, this year she loves the idea of a 12MP camera :smiley: so I’m in for at least one unit. But then I have the iPhone 6+ 128GB already and there doesn’t appear to be any really compelling reason for me to upgrade. Yes lots of nice to haves, but nothing I see worth dropping over $1500 on.
Now the big wild card will be carrier plans. Both phones were bought outright so are out of contract and the current plans offer more data than I currently have, so that in itself is an incentive to upgrade (*yes I know I could just switch plans… but shhhh). If the subsidies are anything approaching decent and I can get new handsets for a low change over (after selling the old ones) I could be tempted.

Docks. I love a nice dock and have had all the Genuine Apple Docks, but that design just worries me balancing the iphone on the connector like that. Supposedly it’s OK, but I’m still not convinced.

On the Apple TV, I haven’t seen anything about the old units (or haven’t noticed if it’s out there). Will any of the older generation units get any love? Or is it only the new ones that do the new shiny things? It will be interesting to see if you can get Plex or Kodi onto one of these new beasts?!

Watch OS2 will be nice to play with when it comes out but lets face it, it’s all about the apps. Just like the phone, it’s a shame Apple wont allow use of the NFC chip for things like Opal/Miki/Contactless payments etc.

iPad… meh. Not a real computer, yes it’s a powerful tablet and yes there may be some good apps made for it… and while I love my rMBP and wouldn’t use anything else at home. I do like my Surface Pro 3 quite a lot too.

Very cool thanks for the summary. Definitely getting the new iPad Pro, Apple TV and iPhones as well. I’m a sucker for new things. :slight_smile:

Totally agree. I have this same “mental” limit for paying for a phone!

I managed to break that barrier because I was upgrading to a 128GB phone!.. at $1249 it wasn’t too bad, at $1,529 that’s borderline insane. And how the hell do we still have a 16GB unit? Really?

Aha!

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up!

Well, no. In the demo the new Apple TV interface showed you whether your chosen movie/TV show was available via Netflix or the other streaming services; my hope is that Australian ones will jump on board with their apps and those options will appear there too.

Based on how long it took for Apple Music to happen, a subscription service for movies and TV shows probably won’t happen. And if it does, it’s called Netflix. :wink:

1 Like

What I meant to write was a subscription service to iTunes for TV shows and movies. As I only have one streaming provider that I pay for (Netflix), that side of the new AppleTV (searching for shows across all providers) isn’t a whole lot of use.

The prices are high, but with the dollar the way it is, I was expecting some hurt.

I’m still in for a new iPhone 6s and an Apple TV. I would have got an iPad Air 3 if it had been released. I’m not interested in the iPad Pro, so no new iPad for me this year. :disappointed:

iPhone 4 was my last new phone. I’m more of a $300 max person with phones. Finding that the iPhone 5 I was given for free still runs pretty well. I think once iOS 11-12 comes around and drops the 5, then I may consider jumping to the 6.
I just can’t spend so much on a phone. The prizes are just getting nuts these days.

Ummmming and arrrghing about it but will probably update my Apple TV’s and that’s about it.

Seriously can’t wait for the iPhone upgrade program to launch here though, by then hopefully we’ll have someone with brains in parliament and our economy won’t be up shit creek.

I kinda miss the old Apple, I feel like they’re starting to give too much choice. There’s now 3 different iPad families in the lineup, that’s insane.

The iPhone upgrade program is quite awesome I agree.

1 Like