Apple's September 2016 Event Wrap Up, Courage Edition

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/09/apples-september-2016-event-wrap-up-courage-edition/
Here’s the summary you were looking for: the headphone jack is dead, there’s these new wireless headphones called AirPods, and Apple did their own quick-fire, 107-second wrap up of the event so I don’t have to.

Check out the iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2, and AirPods product pages on the Apple website, and post up a comment in the September 2016 event topic in the forums.

:confetti_ball:

My decision was depending on this. I wasn’t going to buy an iPhone if it still contained such ancient technology. Apple’s done the right thing.

4 Likes

Great video. :slight_smile:

I think that Apple were very very clever with that video. An Apple created video short enough to be used by media that allows them to better control the story. No one ever accused them of being stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

. . . so it seems the 64GB SE dropped to $749 - time to upgrade the 4s

2 Likes

God you still mustn’t be able to buy it cause it has a thing called a telephone inside it, and that predates the 3.5mm headphone port…

But yeah Apple has done its best to remove convenience, create more waste and generally be annoying. Hopefully it backfires on them, would teach them for releasing such a meh update.

3 Likes

Do I hand my 6S back to Telstra and get a 7 or keep it, sell this time next year and get the 8?

Nothing in the 7 is OMG I must have it now.

Nah, I love telephones! But headphone jacks? No way! I can only care about one thing at a time and 3.5mm jacks are what I’m going to focus on. I’ve already melted hot wax into my current iPhone’s headphone port just so it can’t ever be used, that’s how angry they make me.

4 Likes

I for one admire your dedication to leaving the past behind, but there’s an easier way - ApplePlugs!

1 Like

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or trolling.

Either way… I like you son.

I reckon by the time we get to around the iPhone 10 there won’t be a phone in it at all. :slight_smile:

I’m hoping its a slab of glass that does nothing for the sake of some, as speakers are old technology, screens are old technology. Heck, Apple should just release nothing as the iPhone is dependent on technology that has been around for a while, and that would offend people too much.

1 Like

Hardened Ceramic. You heard it here first.

Seriously though, is there any phone only hardware in the iPhone? Would there be any physical space saved if they got rid of the bog standard voice call part of them and made them FaceTime only (iPhone 10, with other VoIP providers added as a free software upgrade in time for the release of the 10S).

Aren’t they the same chip? Voice + mobile data on the same chip?

Oh god, ceramic materials have been around for tens of thousands of years, the bloody thing is outdated and disgusting and it hasn’t even been released :wink:

1 Like

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge @bennyling, so quite probably any physical space saved would be pretty negligible. Interesting train of thought though, never mind what’s going to be in the next iPhone, what does the 2025 iPhone release look like, if they’re still around then.

Keeping hold of my 6S, will not be upgrading this year.

If the home button goes, might get 8 Plus next year.

Will definitely be getting the upcoming rMBP though.

1 Like

Behold:

1 Like
2 Likes