ATV - what’s next?

why would there need to be?

I haven’t caught up with all of the overnight news, but what leads you to suspect that new models are coming? What can’t the current models do?

Satisfy Dan’s thirst for a new Apple TV

2 Likes

Damn straight.

But also I still see the potential for more gaming on the Apple TV (see earlier wordy comment on one possible idea in that area)

I don’t see any third party TVs coming with an Ax SOC or an OS as “efficient” as tvOS. While there is a standard for plugin computing modules, I don’t see Apple providing an AppleTV in this format either.

What on earth?

This makes the idea of a new Apple TV even less likely :expressionless:

This would be great if it was an update that brought security + Airplay 2.

I think if you’re after a new Apple TV every few years for gaming, you’re probably better off with an actual console.

And the current Apple TVs already support AirPlay 2? Both the Apple TV 4K (previously known as the 5th generation Apple TV) and the Apple TV HD (aka 4th generation).

Gaming isn’t the only reason, but it’s definitely an area in which it’s lacking even though they would certainly like it to be something you game on considering they display the Apple TV and Steelseries Nimbus controller side by side in their stores. It has the potential for some good gaming, especially since they removed the restrictions on controllers.

Plus, with their Arcade subscription service incoming, a hardware upgrade would be welcome. I for one would rather buy an Apple TV than an expensive 3rd party TV

correct