Australian iPhone XS/XS Max/XR Pricing

Yes, Apple gear holds its value absurdly well, so with a price increase for the new gear, the old gear could potentially even hold 100% of its purchase price, given the higher prices to get the better new-n-shiny.

As for me - I’m still guessing what I’m going to do. Wife’s and my iPhone 5S are getting painful (ie battery and age). Was thinking 6S, but that just seems ancient now, even if it’s basically at the “right” price point. Maybe there will be a flood of 7’s hit the market and actually bring it down in price, but as per above - doubtful.

My retired parents are both mad keen iphone photographers. Now that Dad has an iphone X it’s going to be even worse. They’ve mentioned several times about “what will happen to all our photos when we die”. And it does make you think. What’s the point of taking thousands and thousands of photos, if nobody is ever going to look at them? Yes, take a few, but thousands? With digital photography so prevalent, I’ve no doubt some people literally take millions of photos and keep them all in the cloud or on some hard drive somewhere. But… why?

1 Like

I was offered $370 for my 256Gb iPhone 7 (matt black) by mobile monster (a new iPhone 7 128Gb is $919 (the 256Gb 7 is no longer sold) for a phone with ‘light scratches and slight wear but with original screen and fully functional’ (it’s been used without a cover or screen protector) but because I’ve decided on the Xr I’ll be waiting until October to get rid of mine.

That suggests you should see second hand 7s around the $400 to $500 area soon.

I treasure my family photos and there are a LOT of them. At 22 I am the family historian and keeper of photos.

Different things for different people. Photos mean a lot to me.

1 Like

Some people are just weird. I have a friend who doesn’t own a camera, or a computer. She takes photographs with her iPad, and her phone (a samsung) and doesnt ever look at them even for the memories later. She wont even consider getting a small laptop and hard drive to offload them, she just deletes when the next trip comes along. Weird.

I have this idea that iPhones are the cheapest bit of technology you own, when you talk about “cost per use”. Anyone interested in reading it, in light of the most expensive iPhones ever?

I’m surprised you have any kidneys left.

At the same time, how much more do iPhones do now than the phones that came before it? Obviously if you’re just using your iPhone for calls + SMS then it’s a different story, but who’s buying an iPhone for just that?

Have you read the recent topic on iPhone resale value? While I agree that Apple gear holds its value well, and the new is more expensive than the old, so many people have iPhones now, and so many people are upgrading, the second-hand market is saturated with devices, which drives pricing down — in some cases to 50% or below for a year-old device.

1 Like

If you are one of those people for whom an iPhone is your main device then $2000 is not necessarily excessive but I’m not.

My usage daily is split between my laptop and my iPad and my phone.

I use my laptop the most (cost about $1300), my iPad secondly (cost $599) and I whilst I use my phone for a wide range of tasks I only use it for those tasks when I’m not a my desk or don’t have my iPad with me.

I think my daily usage would be something like laptop 4 hours, iPad 2 hours, TV 1 hour and phone 1 hour.

As for resale value my 7 256Gb is worth $370 at Mobile Monster and it’s only a bit more than 12 months old which is about 40%.

So… I’m looking a an Xr because the depreciation cost is getting very large with a $2000 iPhone.

And just for interest Mobile Monster quoting $950 for my iPhone X 256GB. Think I skip replacing till next year’s version.

Apple Store is still down for another update, I’m considering in getting the XS Max 64GB I can do with I’m lucking to use that much storage on my phone.

I have an 8. I guess I will have to upgrade one day, and sure I’d like an XS but would you believe the main reason I’m thinking of staying put is the lack of Touch ID! I don’t know if it will make a comeback one day giving users both Face ID and Touch ID or if it will be relegated to history.

I was looking at my 8 the other day and for a second I felt like I was looking at a 3GS! A full screen phone, well, it would be if not for the notch, is a major upgrade from 10 years of iPhones that have all looked the same.

I imagine the time might come too when the lightning port is ditched, not for USB-C but for no port at all, and all charging will be done wirelessly. I might just wait to see what the 2019 iPhone is like.

1 Like

Looking at the XR, the 128GB model is $50 more than the 64GB model. Why oh why couldn’t they have done the same thing with the XS models? In fact, just give them 128GB to begin with.

Psychological pricing.

It’s only an extra $blah for xyz…

Well, I’ve already spent $abc, I may as well pay another $small-percentage-of-overall-cost…

2 Likes

Because if they made the baseline 128, everyone would buy that.

I went for the 64 because everything on my phone is in the cloud. I am only using 31gb of my 256gb 8 Plus!

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Yet, I still think 128gb should be base.

Once I removed the iTunes TV shows I had on my phone for a trip last year (didn’t end up watching any), noticed I was only using 27GB of 256gb, so I’m ok with 64gb.

So, I weakened, and I’m back.

There iphone X 256GB Silver was 1439 on Amazon, and a Single Melb CBD Officeworks pricematched it, reducing the price to 1367.05. Which is probably the price it should have been to begin with, instead of 1829.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: eSIM support from Australian telcos

I moved from the 8 to XS. I have to say I don’t miss Touch ID at all and love Face ID. So much more do convenient.

But yes Apple pricing is now a ‘bridge too far’ and is starting to effect sales - as is being reported out of China.

Not sure what Apple will do about that, as they seem very reticent to reduce prices.

I now have the Xr (256Gb because shop had no 128Gb). The battery lasts way way longer than my 7 and a fair bit longer than SWMBO’s 8+.

The screen is a non issue, it’s just as good as the 8+, the bezels are thick but I’m getting used to them, but the phone feels a bit thicker in my hand.

RE pricing I think we’ll see more deals on the Xr to boost sales, probably not outright price drops but more deals made with carriers and more trade in deals.

I’ve said it before and will say it again. Apple would be foolish to assume that their long-term viability is assured. The world does not need Apple products. The world will survive without Apple products. They should not forever look to unscrupulously take advantage of their customers.

3 Likes

Tempted to get the XS 256GB, but at $1.8k, i might need to think twice or maybe ten!! Using iPhone 8 now, but the better screen with the X/XS is really tempting.