Be Wary About Upgrading To Mac OS Catalina

Yeah office 2011 is 32bit so dead in the water sadly.

1 Like

Also worth saying that if think youā€™ll have any reason to run 32-bit apps in the future, you should probably download a copy of the macOS Mojave installer and put it in a safe place.

Maybe even if you think you wonā€™t, you should download it anyway.

This link worked for me:
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?ls=1&mt=12

1 Like

Iā€™ve stockpiled installers back to Lion :smiley: Also for historical interest.

2 Likes

I have a lot of old content creation software which no longer works, otherwise, I have experienced no issues at all on my 2015 15" Quad-core i7 MBP. In fact, Catalina (to my surprise) seems to be much snappier than Mojave. But Iā€™m going to wait a bit before updating the unsupported systems, though apparently dosdude1ā€™s patcher, for like for fourth year in a row, is working for most flawlessly.

I have found another problem. I use a Synology NAS, and I usually use Finder to transfer files to and from the NAS. I have done this for years.

Since upgrading to Catalina when trying to access the NAS a message comes up that it cannot be connected to. The only way I can fix the problem is to Force Quit Finder. It then connects normally.

It is annoying as I have to do this exercise once a day. I have sent a note to Apple.

Just be aware that modern OSX installers are time bombed so they wont let you install past a certain date to ensure they are up to dateā€¦ so itā€™s worth keeping a nice text file of the date you downloaded it so you can set the system date and let it work (mind you the error message doesnā€™t say thatā€¦ so itā€™s something you just need to know).

On NAS connectivity, are you using SMB/AFP/FTP (or something else?). I find my QNAP NAS sometimes has issues connecting from a Mac where it just always works from a PC. Have you tried a different protocol to see if it is more reliable?

Is that usually a non issue with the ā€˜finalā€™ version of MacOS installers that Apple creates? (EG post the last 10.x.x release Apple seems to create a version of the MacOS installer which doesnā€™t get updated again).

Anyone who uses the ā€˜search for older computersā€™ in Airdrop, Apple has removed it. Thanks Apple -_-.

Iā€™m not sure what connectivity I am using, I normally just click on the NAS icon in the Finder side bar. One thing that may affect it, I have the NAS set to turn off at Midnight and on again at 7 am so it has a break.

Iā€™m pretty sure, if itā€™s the same certificate-expiry issue that @The_Hawk alludes to in their post, that it affects final macOS installers, including those that you might have put onto a bootable USB for the express purpose of booting and installing that version of macOS.

There seems to be three main workarounds, in cases where you might not be able to re-download an official package from Apple. You can either change the date, run the installer from Terminal with a special flag to ignore untrusted installers, or remove the cert altogether with a third-party tool.

Interestingly enough, macOS Catalina appears to allow you to download full macOS installers for previous versions from the command line.