"Bed-time lock" for iPad?

2am-4am this morning… registering his new Pokemon cards… My wife went ballistic when she caught him…

She spoke with another yr5-6 teacher the other day - apparently it’s quite a common issue.

My iiNet modem does have the ability to block specific devices at specific times - have just blocked it 24/7 for now…

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

All this, of course, simply supports my notion that various education department bright young things need to have their heads read. No child NEEDS an ipad for school, and there is nothing wrong with traditional teaching. Take the ipad away and stop the nonsense.

1 Like

I am all for the use of tech in schools. From what I gather, tech jobs are our best shot as a nation (given we wont have any manufacturing happening here going forward; tourism may well die off if we can’t sort out the environment…), so I’m happy for my kids to learn to be as tech savvy as possible.

It’s just when the little sh!t gets up at 2am to use it that I’ve got the issues… :slight_smile:

So am I. But they dont need it in primary school and they don’t need it before they can read, write and add up. Did you see the news last night? Turnbull banging on about how our kids are way down in the three Rs? I know why that happened. 1) the bright young things decided that kids should not be separated into different classes according to ability (we dont want them to think they are less, which is as stupid as that thing they used to have, called a “terminating pass” which is a fail…) 2) the bright young things decided that kids didnt need to know the basics, because they can get it all off the internet, use a keyboard, and a calculator. And what are they planning to do now? classify kids according to ability and get back to basics.

I knew we were in trouble when 25 years ago my partner’s kids came home from school with their spelling lists… and the teachers had misspelled words on the lists.

They dont need the tech until they have mastered the basics. end of.

2 Likes

This reads like it may fit the task.

1 Like

Looks perfect. For lots of people!

My daughter tried using her 3DS without permission. I warned her she’d lose it if she did it again. She did it again and I took it away, erased it and sold it. Don’t mess around with this and kids – set a firm line and tell them that they lose the iPad if they break the rules. If you don’t do this, they grow up thinking they can always get away with things.

My kids have timers on their iPad usage – 30 mins max! They sure as hell aren’t going to have them sitting in their room able to be used anytime, and they don’t know the pin on any of the devices in the house regardless.

Sorry for the rant, but after spending years teaching kids, I know what works and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

He needs the iPad for school, so unfortunately selling it isn’t an option.

When he first did it, all of his games were wiped, and he had a week without it - including for school. (His teacher wasn’t thrilled but was accepting of our decision.)

We did however then let him gradually “earn” back some games over time for good behaviour… then he did it again. etc.

Even with the games wiped (again), he was getting on YouTube to watch Stampy f’ing Cat… At least the wifi block has fixed that option.

You may be able to achieve what you want using ourPact

Parental Control & Kid Tracker by Eturi Corp.

My boss uses it with his kids iPhones and says it is great for controlling what they can do and when they can do it.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, @MacGeek - I’ll have a look.

Will be interested to get my hands on the new iOS with its promise of controls for parents to lock out “certain” apps at particular times…!

1 Like

I thought of your “Bedtime Lock” topic when I watched the wwdc. Looks like exactly what you were looking for.

And it’s baked into the OS which means you don’t have to rely on some hack to try getting something blocked or some false promise from a dodgy app developer!