Blood Glucose Meters

I currently use the Freedom Lite, it works for me. I found my Accuchek Go and Performa did not give accurate readings. I’d be feeling hypo and the performa would tell me my BGL was 5.2, I’d double check with the Lite and it would read 2.9. I came to trust it.

We’ll see how Dario goes. Might hate it. But the more stuff we have that talks to our devices, the better, IMO>

Received it today, installed the IOS app and now I have to create an account just to use it, so they can collect all my data and share.

Going in the bin I think.

Hmm… oh well, I have no issues with that at the moment. There’s a website (thats what the login is for) your info goes there, and your estimates of HbA1C I believe are calculated there. They need certain of your info for the app and the website to do the job you paid for.

kyte in this month’s newsletter, FreeStyle are offering a new free tester.

Oh dear. Thanks, Harry but I already have two of theirs. I wonder why I didnt get the newsletter. Probably registered and the email address is now defunct. I’ve found Freestyle to be very accurate, and pleasingly, I’ve been comparing with Dario (which, whilst very compact, isnt as convenient as I thought it would be) and the readings are almost identical (eg a 5.3 vs a 5.6. Close enough)

Might take a look at the website and see whats what.

[edit] and I did, ordered an Optium Neo. You can never have too many meters :smiley:

I have the neo, but didn’t realize it uses 0.6ul blood compared to O.3 a lot use. It was my first meter in July and I’ve wasted about half my strips with it failing to get enough blood even when there is plenty. I like it otherwise but the Roche strips seem better for that.

Seems I jumped on it too quickly… I liked the idea of ketones testing. However, my Glooko doesnt talk to it. yet. Its only compatible with Androids at the moment (for Glooko). I also emailed Abbot Diabetes Care to give them another kicking about no OSX software. Damned if I am going to do the VM dance again.

I saw there was Mac software for the others, I assumed th neo uses the same one. Have been meaning to download some numbers.

Yeah I think theres something, but when I went to d/l for Neo, it was only a windows file. I wasnt very impressed with the Mac software for the others, but I prefer to use Glooko, so I can take it with me to the doc (or Dario, when I start using it. Lots of Freestyle Freedom strips to use up yet) but Neo… not yet, for either. Unless, of course, the Neo will work with the other software. There will be a cable to buy, of course.

The Neo comes with a cable so no worries there.

Oh thats good :slight_smile: one small issue sorted then. I had to buy the cable for my Freestyle Freedom :slight_smile:

Well, quite some time down the track I have decided that I just don’t like the Dario. Its readings are so far different from my freestyle (and the freestyle appears to be pretty accurate, based on my HbA1c results from time to time), I’ve decided not to use it anymore.

However, I have found a nice Accuchek (at least I hope it will be nice, strips are 2x the cost of the Freestyle) for free on the local site. Link follows. I like the idea of it connecting to the phone via BT, and theres Accuchek app, and its also compatible with my current Glooko app.

http://www.accu-chek.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category_303_303_-1_301_301_Y_Products

Thats the page you need, with the info on the Aviva Connect, and to get it for free you have to submit via the Meter match link further down the page. It takes about a month to get to you :slight_smile:

Applied for a Neo in November last year. I had given up on receiving it. It arrived this week. I’ve put it away. Am swimming in meters, now have 5. Sighhh. Loving the Accuchek but not the accuchek software. Fortunately it talks to Glooko as well.

Having anxiety, it can manifest itself in the same way as hypo/hyperglycemia, extreme agitation, paranoia, confusion, delirium, faintness and tachycardia. I get my BGL tested quite regularly, but as yet its usually around the 4 to 8 range depending on whether I’ve been tested in the morning or after eating which is in within the bounds of being perfectly normal.

I should probably note that at this point I have age on my side, but who knows what will happen in the next 10 years. It does make me wonder though sometimes, when all my stats are normal why I feel like complete and utter crap.

You have to love the way the human body works. Sometimes I wish I was a diabetic so I had a simple answer for why my body does what it does rather than something that has no easy fix with medication.

You think having diabetes is easy? Dear god. Medications are not a “fix” at all.

Sometimes I believe anything is easier than carrying an invisible injury.

Having cared for someone with a debilitating chronic illness that nobody seemed to be able to diagnose or treat, I can appreciate the difficulty of being in that position. It really does suck and not in a small way. Having Type 2 diabetes myself, I would, in a friendly and respectful way, suggest that you are careful what you wish for.

Agreed. T2 diabetes here as well. And, osteoarthritis, asthma, hypertension, OSA and a bunch more. None of them are visible. Except if I have a day where I need my walking stick.

Some progress being made, though it seems, according to this guy at least, that we’re still a ways from external blood glucose measurement.

Abbott Labs have got halfway there with the Libre, but geez, talk about expensive! $180 or so for the initial setup and scanner, and $92 per, for the sensor. I’m sure those of us on pensions and being insulin dependent would get some kind of discount but at those prices I cant see it being very much. And no connection to Apple watch or phone as far as I can tell.

My best option at the moment is the Accu-chek Aviva Connect which sends by BT to the phone and that then ends up in Apple Health. Strips work out cheaper too.