Classification of Late 2009 iMac as obsolete

The Mid 2011 was the last with an optical drive. Also one of the last semi-upgradable models. Hence why I spent a decent amount to max out the CPU and GC from the factory and have spent money since on RAM, SSD, HDD and a Thunderbolt doc.
There really isn’t a lot this computer can’t do that I need it to. I’ll eventually make the jump from 16gb of RAM to 32gb when I can. I do a fair bit of work with VM’s, so the more RAM the better.
At the moment, for anything super intensive (like virtualising ESXi and VM’s on top of it), I am using the PC I built earlier this year. It’s fast enough to probably last me a good 5 years. Also supports up to 64gb of RAM which is handy. Will add more SSD storage when the storage drive performance finally causes me to lose my mind.

@Colin1942
A 2009 iMac, especially if one with an upgraded CPU/GPU, should be fine for another year or two. Really, it just depends on what you do with it. If it covers your needs and doesn’t have gaping security holes because of its age, then no need to upgrade.

1 Like

To answer the original question posted by @Colin1942, what it means when your machine goes obsolete is that Apple and Apple Authorised Service Providers are unable to order any parts for your machine. Of course, they’re still able to perform software diagnosis and replace Apple parts with third-party equivalents where possible (hard drive, RAM), but that’s about it.

Does that sound about right, @iMic?

You would be correct there @bennyling. A computer in vintage or obsolete status is unable to be repaired by Apple Authorised Service Providers or Apple Stores because the service parts needed are simply no longer available for it, presumably because Apple is no longer refurbishing service parts and components for these models. Components like Hard Drives and RAM are mostly standard off-the-shelf components so in theory those could still be replaced with third-party equivalents should they fail or require replacement. Whether Apple guidelines allow for such repairs is another story and I can guarantee the Genius Bar won’t be installing any third party components any time soon, so as far as they’re concerned, these machines are no longer repairable.

The Vintage or Obsolete status of a machine is not necessarily tied to whether it receives software updates or not. The Mid 2007 iMacs and 2007 MacBook Pro models were marked as obsolete back in June, but are still supported by OS X El Capitan.

The Late 2009 series iMacs are still capable machines. I still see them in photo studios and production houses ticking away without missing a beat and more than adequate performance. Personally I still want one of the older 21.5" models because I feel it would suit my workspace and needs extremely well. These were decent machines with solid performance and reliability, and it’ll almost be a shame to see them go from the service bench. That said considering the 2007 iMacs are still supported by the latest software, I don’t see any reason why software updates for the 2009 models will cease any time soon.

I was happily reading this thread and thought 'Gee I wonder which iMac I’ve got", thinking that I had a 2011/12 model. I checked the About This Mac option and saw “Late 2009”. Yikes! I even checked the receipt and it was from Dec 2009. And I still think of this is the ‘new-ish’ computer.

Time flies when you are having fun I guess. Unless something goes bang I’d expect to be using it for a few years yet. Although in all fairness I’m not really a power user.

A 2009 iMac with an SSD and maxed ram for a couple of hundered will put perform a brand new iMac entry level out of the box.

Don’t upgrade until it dies or you need something you don’t have now - but the entry level is not really much of an “upgrade”! If you’re handy, that model is easy to upgrade the HDD to SSD on as long as you heed a guide online and don’t open it for 30mins (from memory) after removing the power plug (to let the PSU discharge).

Hey jaysee,
Have you done this? I am keen to do mine. Can you suggest a guide (there are quite a few) I was going to go with Ramcity for Ram and SSD or is there a better option?
TIA
Joe

I replaced my 2008 iMac last year. It had a great run. I updated its drive to an Ssd about two years ago which made a huge difference. Pulling it apart wasn’t fun. Still an awesome machine which my parents now have and use almost everyday.

Going from a 256 MB graphics card to a 4GB card is noticeable haha.

When I first learn to used the Apple technician guide. (I was an AMCT and used to manage an apple certified service centre). It’s a bit fiddly but it’s not difficult if you’ve taken computers apart before. You’ll need a suction cup and set of torx screwdrivers.

Thanks.
Have pulled apart Intel Macs and heaps of G4’s years ago. Will have a go I reckon.
Sounds like it makes them quite useable again. Especially with teh price of a new 27" :no_mouth:

1 Like

Hi Joebire,

Let me know how your upgrade to ssd goes.
I have put additional 8 Gb of RAM into my old 2009 iMac and it still does everything I want.
Very interested in outcome of your machine modifications…

No worries. Im guessing it will be a holiday project. Still deciding on size of ssd. Its uses are home photo editing and an occasional wedding and runs Eye tv all day as well.

Hi Joebire,

I recently installed a 256 Gb Samsung EVO 750 replacing the 500 GB HDD in my late 2009 iMac 21.5", running latest OS and with 12 Mb of RAM.

Had some early issues which have now been sorted (mainly fan speed and migration issues).

I am very happy now that install has settled down from the minor issues mentioned above.

Super fast speed now, well worth the expense to have install and migration done by a local service agent.

Anyone know a good Mac repair/installer in Melbourne? I’m thinking of upgrading the slow internal HDD with an SSD to speed up boot and general performance on my old iMac. It’s taking forever to load up at the moment after I upgraded to newer OS. Also any ideas of costs? I would try to do it myself but not sure if I trust myself with taking off the glass front and putting all back on properly.

Hi Limply, I upgraded my late 2009 iMac by replacing the spinning 500 Gb HDD with a Samsung EVO 750 of 250 Gb. The cost was just on $400 including cost of SSD and migration, but was done in Hobart by an Apple service place. Can thoroughly recommend the Samsung SSD as it really speeds up the iMac. Don’t know about Melbourne, but I reckon you should get the job done for about $300 there.

That sounds very reasonable. You didn’t experience any problems with fans or Trim support on the new SSD? Just reading early articles but maybe these problems have been fixed now and your installer knew how to mitigate them. I probably would want to go for larger 1TB SSD or maybe opt for custom fusion drive set-up. My internal optical drive died a long time ago and could give up that space for a smaller SSD just for the boot drive? Though I guess that will increase complexity?

Hi Limpboy, yes I had some issues with fan speed but I downloaded an app at suggestion of service company but that only reduced the problem. I found another app (SSD Fan Control) that sorted the speed entirely. Yes had minor issues as the boot drive was not pointed to correct place. Now that finder has had some time it seems to find everything ok. I used the 250 Gb SSD as I am only a small user of HDD now I am retired. I have found that size ok, but can see that a bigger SSD would assist larger users.

That’s good news. I still haven’t touched mine. A local store said they would do the ssd upgrade for $80. I would do the migration myself. Maybe in July when I will have some time.

A note for anyone that also comes across this thread, it’s possible to correct the iMac 2009-2011 fan speed issue with replacement drives in hardware as well. I’ve been installing a few of the OWC In-Line Temperature Sensor kits as of late and it does correctly report the temperature back to the SMC without needing a software fix.

OWC Digital Thermal Sensor for 2009-2010 iMac HD Upgrade (2009-2010)
OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for Apple iMac 2011 (2011)

It costs more of course, sometimes between $80 to $90 with shipping included from local suppliers, but it does resolve the issue permanently, including between OS reinstalls and upgrades that could potentially break a software fix.

An advance warning to AppleTalk iMac (2010) owners - the iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010) and iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) will also be classified as vintage products effective Tuesday, 14th June.

The MacBook (13-inch Late 2009) and MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010) will also be classified vintage at this time, along with the AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation) and Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Generation).

If you have one of these models and wish to schedule a repair with an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider, I would advise doing it before this date. Some components like batteries may still be available after this date, and of course components like hard drives and memory will continue to be available in the wider market as these are typically standard off-the-shelf parts.

A post was split to a new topic: The consolidated “should I repair or upgrade my old Mac” topic