Console Wars: Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony

Whoever, whatever, why don’t we have a console gaming thread?

• What do you own

• Are you Impressed by anything that is coming out soon?

• Xbox Scorpio, Playstation VR, Nintendo Switch.

Do you have a console, well feel free to discuss it here.

1 Like

"It’s really more of a two-sided war. Sony v Microsoft. Nintendo has mostly been a quirky little system that runs on the fame of its first party titles that continue to have a cult following.
It would be interesting to understand what proportion of Nintendo’s users have a second (or third) console as well vs those who are 100% inside the Nintendo camp.

Personally, I used to be a Sony fan. I still have my Playstation, PS2 (with ethernet adaptor and HDD), PSP-1000 and my PS3. I jumped ship for Forza on the XBox 360 and quickly became an XBox fan eventually upgrading to an XBone. It was handy to have both consoles in the 360/PS3 days, it meant I could buy whatever exclusive title I wanted. Occasionally I consider a PS4 (and even a Wii U or now Switch) for the same reasons, but these days I’m a little older, have more children and less time (and disposable income) so have been happy with the XBone."
The Switch may very well make an appearance one day as there are plenty of Nintendo titles that are compelling enough to draw my attention… although maybe it’s 90% nostalgia from the NES days (and friends SNES and N64). I do actually have a 3DS (and my original GameBoy) which gives me access to some of the titles, although that rarely ever sees the light of day. My Nintendo memories were more about split screen multiplayer action sitting around someones 34cm TV (or if you went to that one friends house the 80cm monster!!).

2x original Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo Wii
Microsoft XBox 360

What do I use? None of the above, essentially.
These days, my console gaming pretty much consists of emulated NES/SNES ROMs in Provenance on Apple TV.
What can I say, I dig nostalgia :slight_smile:

I own the following gaming consoles:

PlayStation 3 Slim black
PlayStation 4 (got it on launch day 2013) and PSVR
Super Nintendo (zero yellowing)
Nintendo 64 ice blue
Mini Nes Classic with extra controller
New Nintendo 3DS XL Majoras Mask edition
Gameboy SP (European exclusive blue)
Gameboy colour clear purple
Gameboy pocket clear
Nintendo DS lite
PS2 Slim black
Wii white (the one that can play GameCube games)
Arduboy (google it)
Xbox

I sold my N64 to someone on MacTalk a number of years ago… having moved on to the Wii maybe a year after it came out.

The Wii isn’t even plugged in right now - but the Xbox 360 is… though it’s used much much more by my kids than me.

I am considering finding a WiiU with games bundle 2nd hand one day soon, now they have been discontinued, because the games are very kid friendly, and I’ve got a nearly 4yo and 1.5yo to consider…

The Wii was a smashing success regardless, people assume that because no one understood the place of the Wii U that the Switch is also doomed. I have mixed views. The processing power of the Switch is only a little less than that of the original PS4 and it runs ARM now so its easy to port games.

I pretty much skipped that entire era my last console was a PS2. I’m getting back to that for Nostalgia purposes and the Breath of the Wild trailer looks amazing. It has those touches of Japanese artistry you expect from anime, which is one of my favorite art styles. For me it doesn’t need 3D realism personally.

I’m a lot older now than what I was then. For me the Switch is just something to enjoy the nostalgia of great first party titles, if some good third party titles come along the way then that’s a bonus. But, it has what I’m interested in already Bomberman R, Mario Kart 8, Odyssey, FIFA and NBA2K18, Street Fighter, to the point where anything on top of that is really a bonus such as Yooka-Layley.

That’s 6 games, I’ve never owned a console with more than 8 games that I have played regularly.

1 Like

As long as success is not measured by Sony/Microsoft standard then yes! And I’d agree that it shouldn’t be measured against them, popular and profitable is still popular and profitable even if it’s not at the top. Sometimes I think the media/people need to remember that.

1 Like

Of course its measured on its own level, Nintendo hasn’t gone directly against Sony or Microsoft since the Game Cube, but I don’t really care anymore. You can end up with flashy games with no substance and end up in exactly the position EA Dice is in with battlefield now and with a lot of other rushed EA games that come out before they’re fully polished.

I also don’t really need my eye-balls blown out these days when most of the gaming that I do consists of either MAME emulation or playing Worms ports. I’m not everyone though. I recognise that the Xbox One and PS4 have a place for a different type of gamer.

Always been a Playstation person, but I really don’t play that much. PS2 is my favourite console, play a bit of PS3 and have never played the PS4. I own the PS1, the family owns the PS2,3,4.

The Wii U should come down in price now a bit and there is a good back catalog of games for it if you can keep your kids eyes away from whats new.