Customer Loyalty and Service

I’m still at all-0 for fixes at Apple. I have a pretty normal conversation with Apple that goes like this:

“Here’s this not adequately functioning/faulty/broken/failing thing. Fix it.”
“That thing isn’t covered by warranty/AppleCare.”
“But here’s the reason I believed it to be covered, also I’ve been a loyal customer for most of my life, here’s my entire history of purchased Apple products.”
“We’ll fix/replace the thing.”
“Thank you.”

EDIT: I changed the topic because “entitlement” has a very negative connotation at times.

I’ve never had them be that reasonable with me. Took 6 visits to get a faulty battery replaced with my first non retina 2012 pro even though it should have been under warranty.

I’ve owned:

2 G4 Towers (QuickSilver and Gigabit)
2 Mac Minis (1st Gen G4, first Intel Gen)
4 MacBooks (2008 MBW and MBB, 2010 MBP, current 2012 MBP with AppleCare until March 30, 2018)
5 iPhones (3G, 4 white, 4 black, 5C pink, 6s Rose Gold)
2 iPods (Video and Nano Video)
Cinema Display
Keyboards (US and JP)
Mice of various types, currently a Magic Mouse.

For an individual that’s a lot of money and loyalty. And Apple knows that. I assume they keep records. The moment they say no and it remains a no is the moment I consider a competitor. And I’ve never shied away from saying that directly when I need something fixed or replaced. It’s not an idle threat. This consists of thousands or tens of thousands of dollars over the years. My loyalty isn’t something to take for granted. It can be lost.

I’ve never had a “we won’t cover that” repeated.

I’ve used Macs my entire life, and personally owned two Macs plus multiple iPods, iPhone and iPads, but that was never enough. I brought up customer loyalty and they said outright multiple times they didn’t really care how many Apple products I had bought and said that battery health below 70 with 200 charge cycles and ‘service battery’ was normal - which of course is rubbish.

Wow. If that happened to me, I’d be internally incensed, but I’d calmly ask to speak to a manager or go to a different Apple Store, make a phone call, or send a letter. Perhaps all of the above. Anyone who tells you your loyalty doesn’t matter is a piss poor representative of the company. Tim Cook would not be pleased.

My situation as it relates to the replacement battery went like this:

“My battery drop down menu said ‘service battery’ for two weeks, and coconut battery had it at 69% of capacity.”
“Well, now it’s green and says 80.2%, and we don’t typically replace batteries at this point in its life cycle under AppleCare…”
“Uhm, I just told you it spent two weeks with ‘service battery’ and was showing 69%, and here’s all the list of things I tried myself before coming. What happens if it reports this again tonight, or tomorrow, or a week from now, are you really going to make me come all the way back, when there’s already sufficient evidence the battery is borked?”
“…Let me speak to my manager, you bring up a good point.” A few minutes later, “My manager agrees, we’ll replace it under AppleCare.”
“Thank you.”

Bringing up the topic of how many products you’ve owned as an argument for having something serviced, when the service provider has already said no?

Seems like entitlement to me.

Completely different story if you have valid, objective reasons why something should be serviced.

1 Like

I’m going to disagree with you. I had an objective and valid argument. I always do. But I also purchase Apple products and AppleCare precisely because I don’t want the hassle of having to do everything myself all the time. If Apple can’t live up to its service agreement and reputation, I can take my business elsewhere. They know it and I know it.

I’ll accept that I’m entitled to it in the original sense of the word: I paid for this service, therefore I should receive it. I will not accept that I have a “sense of entitlement” in the pejorative sense, that is expecting something which I do not deserve.

How OldMacs was treated is atrocious and not part of the experience you pay for when you purchase and insure an Apple product. Full stop.

Read my post again. I, too, would expect to have a certain level of service on par with whatever I paid for the product.

Owning umpteen previous products from the same company has absolutely nothing to do with it, though.

1 Like

It has everything to do with it. A significant portion of my loyalty to Apple is that loyalty goes both ways. I rely on Apple to live up to that loyalty, which includes top notch service for which I have paid. Should such service not be rendered, therefore negating Apple’s loyalty to me, I won’t feel that my own loyalty to Apple need to be continued.

Owning umpteen previous products from the same company demonstrates that as long as I receive what I believe is my due because I paid for it, then I will continue to be part of their cash flow. Apple isn’t the only company to which I apply this standard. I have the same standard for L.L. Bean or BMW or Costco.

1 Like

I think it does. If you’ve been loyal enough to a company, then you at least deserve to be properly looked after.

The only entitlement is the Apple Store thinking its ok to screw customers over.

The only time I needed to pull the loyalty card on Apple was a few years ago with a dodgy iPhone 5 home button. They didn’t want to replace the phone for me as it was out of warranty, but a bit of gentle persuasion and escalation to a manager got me a replacement phone, their answer was “we can see that you’ve been a loyal customer, so we are happy to do this for you”. Very happy!

I should have prefaced what I said with saying that my local Apple Store is apparently notorious for this sort of thing.

Had a similar experience last week! iPhone 6, screen was fading and going yellow. Phone in perfect condition. Have owned Apple products since iBook G4 12in and iPhone 3G.

Was told sorry, can’t help, not in consumer law etc etc have to pay to repair (since when does a screen of a $1000 phone last 2.2 years???)

Called Apple Support, they said it should be covered, go back to store for repair.

Went back to Store, didn’t want to play ball, had to get managers managers approval, only repaired for free due to not contradicting Apple phone Support, but continually emphasised how they shouldn’t be doing this.

Not like the Apple Store experiences in the past where there was never a question asked.

1 Like

I think I may have subtly mentioned a bit of my Apple history when I asked for a replacement battery for my wife’s MacBookPro from AppleStore Chermside years ago… But it wasn’t raised as an ultimatum.

Where does such practice end?

Am I less entitled because many of my Macs have been purchased second hand, even though my purchase history dates back to 1992?

All of my customer service experiences with Apple have been fantastic. They are generally very quick to resolve my problem and seem eager to make sure that everything is ok.

As for the customer loyalty thing, I don’t bring it up, but it has seemed to been a factor in two of my repairs in the past. All of my Apple products are listed under my Apple ID.

The first situation was when I cracked the screen of my iMac. It was a small crack and completely my faulty and told them. I took my iMac in for another problem and whilst there asked how much it would cost to replace. They quoted me around $195 for the screen repair. I said that it was too much and declined to have it fixed. When I picked up my iMac after fixing the other issue, they said as I was such a loyal Apple Customer they replaced my screen for free.

The second instance was a problem with my MacBook Pro. I was experiencing a graphics glitch when I performed a certain activity. I took it to the Apple Store and I could not recreate the glitch (even though it always happened when I was at home). Their diagnostics could not find a problem. I repeated that there is definitely a problem. The Genius said “I can see you have a lot of Apple products, and your word that there is a problem is good enough for me” and so he replaced the motherboard on laptop. He then have his business card and said if there are any further problems to call him.

Long story short, my Apple service stories have all been fantastic, and being a loyal customer seems to make Apple go beyond what is normal.

There’s a reason I don’t like “entitled” or “entitlement” because of its current connotation (especially in the States, where any kind of social insurance scheme, healthcare, pension, unemployment, housing subsidy, nutrition assistance, is labeled as “mooching,” when those things are paid for by taxes and belong in some part to those who paid into the system, especially medicare/medicaid and social security).

And I don’t think your total amount of Apple devices matters as much as loyalty over time, so no, CosmicHobo, I don’t think you are less due Apple loyalty in return for your loyalty. Having other options, you still returned to Apple and did purchase some products new, correct? That’s loyalty. It doesn’t have to be directly quantified. I’m not arguing that there’s a proportional relationship. As in I bought more products, I get better service, because I get more loyalty. There are businesses which do that, and I think that’s fine, but I think we have to consider what the “Apple Product” actually is. And ultimately, it ain’t computers.

I think when you buy an Apple product, you’re buying more than a thing. Steve Jobs really understood this, and it’s one of the reasons I haven’t been as trusting of Apple in the Tim Cook era. Steve knew we were buying and indeed was intentionally marketing experiences. Part of the reason I purchase Apple rather than building my own PC, be it Windows, or Ubuntu, or Android, or Chrome, or a hackintosh (which I successfully built in about 2009), and specifically pay for AppleCare, is because I’m buying something that “just works” and “just gets fixed.” That’s part of my social contract with Apple, and my customer loyalty is part of my duty under that contract. Now this is different from legal contract. I understand that. However, from a strict economics standpoint, it is far more profitable for Apple to abide by this social contract because it means I’m a lifetime source of cashflow above and beyond whatever overhead I may cost due to my expectations of experience, including service of the products.

Whether something is covered by my legal contract or not, and most of the time, I only even ask when something seems on the line to me (such as this battery issue, which seemed defective by Apple’s own standards to me, same with OldMacs’s), but because I have paid both in money and in customer loyalty, I will ask. And as stated, I’ve never been given no twice. And Apple has certainly never said, “we’re tired of your social contract obligation, please don’t buy our products anymore.” I can report back if I ever get a hard no that doesn’t change, but it hasn’t happened yet. And that, I feel, is because Apple does abide by the social contract.

And frankly, OldMacs having to go back to a store 6 times is appalling, and a violation of this social contract, let alone that I agree that battery seems, by Apple’s own legal agreement standards to be defective.

This sounds like what has happened to me “oh we’re only covering this as a gesture of goodwill” bloody hell, replacing a failing battery within 2 years of purchase which is covered under consumer law AND should have been covered by the AppleCare I also bought is not a gesture of good will, its a bare minimum requirement, and I had to fight for them to even do that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s some BS. I was exactly in this situation. 69%, Service Battery, at 501 cycles, on AppleCare within two years of purchase. By Apple’s own standards, it shouldn’t drop under 80% until 1000 cycles. I got a five minute discussion and an agreement to replace it. You should have been given the same.

Your ‘loyalty’ means nothing to them. What they do respond to is reminding them of Aust consumer laws.

Apple freely admit to an unwritten 2-year warranty on all their products, and much longer on more expensive products like desktop computers.

Their products must be ‘fit for purpose’ for much more than 12-months by law.

Apple care is therefore a waste of money.