Customising Apple Watch?

Hi all… I’m quite interested in coming over to the watch side… I’m quite confused as to how it works as to getting the combination of watch and band that I want - I’d like the S1 Sports in silver aluminium + the Ocean Blue Sport Band… but it seems I can’t buy in that combination. How exactly am I meant to order the combination I’d like - I assume it has to be in store?

Apple will only sell specific combinations of watch case and strap, so you’re stuck with whatever it is, however there are hundreds of sellers on eBay selling third party watch straps for a few dollars each, so it’s easy to get the combo you like.

I have heard good reports of the following seller: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/1PC-Replacement-Sports-Silicon-Bracelet-Strap-For-Apple-Watch-Bands-38mm-42mm-/222091347969?nav=SEARCH

The models advertised are the ones that are available in sealed boxes.

If you want a combination that doesn’t exist, you’re buying the strap separately.

Your best bang for buck is to get 3rd party bands, particularly for the sports bands. They dont exactly have the same feel as the legit Apple fluoroelastomer bands but it will only set you back $10 instead of $70

1 Like

Thanks for the eBay link :slight_smile:

I’m a little surprised that you can’t buy the watch without a band as I thought that was what the appointments and all were about :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah well, I’d like the silver aluminium sports watch so it looks like a white band + a 3rd party band as I ain’t forking out full price :stuck_out_tongue:

The Apple branded bands are really very expensive for what you get. Definitely get a few third party ones for the same price to get some variety.

I only really want one band, but I don’t want it to be white and thats the only colour that comes with the silver aluminium case… maybe i could sell that and buy an offical one…

I find that getting the bands etc. can be a bit annoying. Apple sell certain ‘combos’ but then every stand alone band (sports or nylon) are plain silver - so don’t match my black watch (the clasp / knob bit). Just be aware of that! :slight_smile:

I disagree with this (with the sports bands at least). I have sensitive skin, most rubber and leather watch bands irritate my skin and give me a bit of a rash. The fluoroelastomer are pretty good for this reason. They actually feel pretty good and give me no irritation whatsoever.

However, I haven’t tried any third party bands because if I did, there’s the potential for them to be a waste of money (because of potential skin irritation).

I must say, I’ve been incredibly impressed with the Apple sports band. I just wish they sold the damn thing in plain old boring brown. Bloody Jonny Ive thinks he understands fashion. Newsflash Jonny - some of us are autumns! And the first rule of accessories is they match your shoes. Chestnut RM Williams boots = brown belt + brown watch strap. This isn’t that hard to understand Mr Ive.

I just wish Apple would sell the watch without a band!

So do I. I have the bands I want. If I was to upgrade my Watch this year, I don’t really need any new bands.

Thats a very good point! I’d assume if you’re an Apple Watch 1 person you probably have good bands already!

I have a couple of other questions for your clued up watch people (I’ve largely ignored the watch for the last 2 or so years!)

A) Does anyone know what the rules are in relation to P platers and Apple Watches? I’m on my Reds, never ever use my phone while driving so I don’t want to get in trouble for wearing my potential watch while driving!

B) Do any of you wear a normal watch and an Apple watch? Would this look weird? I’m interested in people’s opinions :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve had my watch for many years and have a sentimental attachment to it and was considering if I could continue wearing it on my other wrist if I get an Apple watch.

C) Does the bluetooth watch connection drain phone batteries super fast?

D) How durable is the watch? My normal watch has some scratches on the glass, one from being shoved into a wall in high school (not on purpose), so I’m wondering how durable the Apple watch is with this sort of stuff!

A) Watches are the same as smartphones, you’re not supposed to use them while driving.

B) I’ve seen one guy wearing a watch on one hand and a fit bit on the other… looked strange.

C) Nope, haven’t really noticed any difference.

D) Mine got a few scratches early on when I sort of forgot I was wearing it and went to put on snow chains. One of my prime reasons for wanting to upgrade to the Stainless Steel with it’s better glass for greater scratch resistance.

When it comes to bands I’ve got a couple of Apple rubber jobs which are very nicely made, but I also have a steel link band I got off eBay for $20 or so. So far it seems pretty good. Plan B is to get the little adaptor bits and buy a nice band from the local watch place which would likely be better than the eBay jobs :stuck_out_tongue:

I know i can’t use it while driving, wouldn’t dream of it, but more wondering about wearing it - I’m not allowed to use any capablitly of my phone (no hands free, can’t even be in my pocket) so I was wondering if I’m allowed to wear the watch or not while driving.

Oh can you get an adaptor to use a normal watch band?

You can’t even have a cradle with maps for turn by turn directions?

Man you kids have it rough, I’m glad I’m old.

There’s kits and lugs around that do it. Personally I wouldn’t use a band that wasn’t from a reputable company that didn’t use the proper Apple lugs available (they’re available as part of the MFI program… I think). I’d be too worried about non genuine lugs breaking and destroying my Watch.

We have a couple of aftermarket ones from different sources (bought on eBay with bands). I doubt either are genuine MFI certified parts. Both appear to be just fine, after all it’s a pretty simple part. I was worried about the clippy bit that magnets in there to hold it together but it hasn’t been an issue at all and hasn’t looked like not working or damaging the watches.

I still wouldn’t do it. But that’s just me.