DIY iPhones

(Continued from How many iPhones have you had?)

Three. I bought an iPhone 3G when they first arrived in Australia. A few years later I replaced it with an iPhone 4S, which has served me well until now. Now I’m currently building an iPhone 5C from almost entirely spare components that will serve as my new primary handset.

Colour me impressed. I’ve heard of hackintoshes, but a hackiphone. Amazing. Make it run OSX.

I’d recommend against rolling your own iPhone. So many small screws, adhesives, and the market is flooded with sketchy replacement parts. Would never do this again but I need to see this one through to completion. I’ll have to throw some pictures up on here when the last few parts arrive and I start piecing it all together.

Building a 27-inch iMac at the moment as well that was sold for scrap. Going with some internal upgrades for that one too, but that’s a topic for another thread… if there’s interest I may have to do a Q&A with photos in the near future.

2 Likes

I assume to do this you need the motherboard to be fully functioning?

Either that or he has found some other sort of motherboard that fits in the iMac shell. But that would bring in a whole array of other issues such as extending ports, etc.
Having pulled apart my 2011 iMac, I know how snug everything is. Especially since iMic is planning on doing upgrades to it as well. Hope he will share his progress, would be very interesting.

Mod, can you split this topic into a new thread?

Done and done.

Anyone else DIY smart phones?

Nope, retaining the stock Logic Board. This machine only had a defective hard drive, but since it was an Apple proprietary drive I needed to install an OWC drive adapter to convert the temperature sense signal to work with a standard drive. The replacement drive is a Seagate Desktop ST1000DM003-1SB10C 1TB.

While the machine was apart I stripped it down to the bare enclosure and cleaned everything, including the fans and cables. I removed the heatsinks and renewed the thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU with Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. Some of the CPU heatsink standoff springs weren’t looking too happy, so I replaced those while it was apart.

Increased the installed memory to 12GB in a 2x 4GB and 2x 2GB configuration. If I can find some extra 4GB 1333MHz memory modules from somewhere I’ll increase it to 16GB.

The machine cost nothing so the combined total so far is somewhere around $150 and a couple of days of my life I’ll never see again. Still reasonable however considering it’s a 27-inch Mid 2011.

Still have yet to resume assembling the iPhone. The replacement screen, casing and battery have set me back somewhere around $350 which is a lot more than I had initially hoped to spend. The total would have been significantly less if I hadn’t received the run-around with defective parts and RMA return shipping from certain parts suppliers.