Do you still sync apps via itunes?

I agree, but for slightly different reasons. I don’t particularly care that Apple removed app syncing from iTunes, it wasn’t a huge deal for me, but the removal of the App Store now means that I cannot browse apps from my Mac.

I can’t click on an affiliate link on my Mac and buy an app when I’m reading a review on the web, which is cutting an already limited revenue stream for many Apple blogs, this one included. Forcing people to browse iOS apps from an iOS device — I honestly can’t think of a reason why Apple would want to.

I use the iOS version of the App Store so infrequently I’m not even sure if you can see the same information that used to be in the iTunes Store from your iPhone/iPad, but one thing that will go away is browsing iPhone/iPad-specific apps. The iPad App Store gets both, but on iPhone, it’ll only show you iPhone apps, AFAIK.

This was not the move I was expecting when people were clamouring for iTunes to be less bloated. Here’s hoping the iOS App Store comes back to the Mac someday.

3 Likes

Also, if I’m writing a review, a task I often do on my Mac, how the hell am I supposed to get the link for an app? Use the universal clipboard feature? Email the link to myself?!

2 Likes

Yes, not a lot of thought seems to have gone in to this change as there is a large amount of ill feeling around it from a large number of people - even more so than the removal of floppy drive or optical media (it’s getting right up there with the headphone socket removal :smile:)

Perhaps we are all expected to move to iPad Pro models, use keyboards, and treat our ipads as laptops and replacements for our Mac computers. I had intended to do that but its starting to feel like thats where Apple is driving us.

Old thread. New discovery, for me in any case.
Accidentally discovered iTunes 12.6.3 release.
Seems Apple released a new version of iTunes after 12.6.2 that allows app syncing to iTunes.
Further iTunes updates are ignored, meaning you stay on 12.6.3 and are not prompted to update. Which I don’t mind on one of my machines.
I prefer to have a backup of my iOS devices on my computer, apps included.

Yep, this Apple support page is the one to keep an eye on:

(The latest version of iTunes that supports syncing apps and the App Store is 12.6.5, by the way.)

1 Like

Good to know. I guess thats been updated yo be Mojave compatible, in which case, On my way! to grab it. I don’t use itunes to sync apps very much, but when I want an older version of an app which I may still have saved elsewhere on my computer or an ext drive, the itunes that allows sync is the only way to get it. eg, I detest what Sygic has done with its Nav apps, and I want the last older version which I liked. Yes, its old and doesnt have the most recent maps, but I dont need those really, i dont go faar afield anymore and the local maps are just fine.

[edit:] oh crap. Not compatible with Mojave. Well I have been considering a downgrade from Mojave anyway, the poor old Mac Mini (2012 model) is really starting to struggle.

Thanks for that.
I was just so pleased to discover I could actually backup my iOS devices to my computer I didn’t think to look further.
Just shows how pig-headed I am. I have ignored prompts to update iTunes from 12.7 on. Can’t believe I just found out this info now.

Still running Sierra on my 2011 mini which is the machine I wanted to backup iOS devices too. Runs OK in my mind, does what I need it to do. I do have a spinning hard drive though.

kyte Is your 2010 Macbook unibody still around ?

Yep, still using it and still happy with it. Its on High Sierra and its fine with that. I think my Mini would be happy with it, also. I’m just doing a SuperDuper! clone of the existing right now, in case I decide later that downgrading was a mistake, but I think I will just go to HS and do it clean. Plus the older itunes.

I run High Sierra on a late 2009 Macbook, and its a machine I really like using.
Does have an SSD in it, quite snappy for a 10 year old laptop.

I didn’t update my mini to High Sierra because I think that was the first OS with the new apfs format and I understood it was optimised for SSDs.
I tried it on a partition on the mini but decided to stay with Sierra.

edit
Think High Sierra could be installed using the old Mac OS Extended format, you could choose.
Here’s some info…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

1 Like

Thanks, in the end I decided to stay put on Mojave, and clean up the disk with CleanmyMac. I think I am going to get an external SSD and run the OS from that. Someone on here said he was doing that, some months back. Can’t remember who, though.

You should read the news — I covered this back on October 10, 2017:

Apple’s support article on deploying apps in a business environment has a link to download iTunes 12.6.3, a version that includes support for the App Store and one that doesn’t prompt you to update to the latest consumer version, 12.7, which doesn’t have the App Store. Might be worth keeping a copy around if you’re working with iTunes in an enterprise environment.

Also, @kyte, not that I expect anyone to remember what’s said in the news on a day-to-day basis, but October 5, 2018:

Now Apple has updated the page on how to deploy apps in a business environment to explicitly say iTunes 12.6.5 is not compatible with macOS Mojave.

OH Gawd!! I’ve used 12.6.3 I just didnt know it had been updated and please… do NOT expect me to remember absolutely everything. its not going to happen.

You do seem to enjoy having a go at me, bennyling, this isnt the first time. Have I offended you? If thats the case, feel free to delete my account.

Point taken.

I do miss those days where this Mac community in Australia was active In posting problems, and getting all sorts of suggestions as to what can be done. Sometimes it’s not the answer but it gets you closer to a solution.

Sometimes your morning news is the only post, or near to for the whole day. MacHash gives a similar rundown.

But sorting out problems, giving credit to discoveries Mac related, discussing Apple in general is to me where the life of a community lies.

Not sure why you thought that was “having a go”, but I came across it as I was looking for the other post and thought it may be prudent to share, while I was pointing out where I had covered what had already been discussed.

Unrelated to this thread, but don’t you just love iMic’s stories.
I do

even though I have the latest iPhone, it’s been a few years since I’ve used iTunes

Well, I did install 12.6.5, transferred a few apps over, only to find they are not compatible with the current iOS. Downloaded the latest itunes and installed that. I guess I dont need to bother with it for apps anymore. I glanced at my 3GS and 4S in the cupboard and thought… nahhhhhhh. Better send them to a recycler.

In my new job I regularly transfer data from an old iOS device to a new one. An incredibly annoying and painful process. In contrast, I’ve done several different Androids as well, and it could not be easier and no need to plug into a PC just use a cable between the phones. Having to backup to icloud or itunes and then restore to the new device is incredibly archaic, being able to use a direct device to device cable connection (or even do it via Wifi) would be far preferable. I’m crossing my fingers we get this in iOS13 but realise it’s not in Apples interest to make this easier, they want you to spend money on extra Icloud Storage you don’t really need.

2 Likes