Do you still sync apps via itunes?

Still running Sierra on my 2011 mini which is the machine I wanted to backup iOS devices too. Runs OK in my mind, does what I need it to do. I do have a spinning hard drive though.

kyte Is your 2010 Macbook unibody still around ?

Yep, still using it and still happy with it. Its on High Sierra and its fine with that. I think my Mini would be happy with it, also. Iā€™m just doing a SuperDuper! clone of the existing right now, in case I decide later that downgrading was a mistake, but I think I will just go to HS and do it clean. Plus the older itunes.

I run High Sierra on a late 2009 Macbook, and its a machine I really like using.
Does have an SSD in it, quite snappy for a 10 year old laptop.

I didnā€™t update my mini to High Sierra because I think that was the first OS with the new apfs format and I understood it was optimised for SSDs.
I tried it on a partition on the mini but decided to stay with Sierra.

edit
Think High Sierra could be installed using the old Mac OS Extended format, you could choose.
Hereā€™s some infoā€¦

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

1 Like

Thanks, in the end I decided to stay put on Mojave, and clean up the disk with CleanmyMac. I think I am going to get an external SSD and run the OS from that. Someone on here said he was doing that, some months back. Canā€™t remember who, though.

You should read the news ā€” I covered this back on October 10, 2017:

Appleā€™s support article on deploying apps in a business environment has a link to download iTunes 12.6.3, a version that includes support for the App Store and one that doesnā€™t prompt you to update to the latest consumer version, 12.7, which doesnā€™t have the App Store. Might be worth keeping a copy around if youā€™re working with iTunes in an enterprise environment.

Also, @kyte, not that I expect anyone to remember whatā€™s said in the news on a day-to-day basis, but October 5, 2018:

Now Apple has updated the page on how to deploy apps in a business environment to explicitly say iTunes 12.6.5 is not compatible with macOS Mojave.

OH Gawd!! Iā€™ve used 12.6.3 I just didnt know it had been updated and pleaseā€¦ do NOT expect me to remember absolutely everything. its not going to happen.

You do seem to enjoy having a go at me, bennyling, this isnt the first time. Have I offended you? If thats the case, feel free to delete my account.

Point taken.

I do miss those days where this Mac community in Australia was active In posting problems, and getting all sorts of suggestions as to what can be done. Sometimes itā€™s not the answer but it gets you closer to a solution.

Sometimes your morning news is the only post, or near to for the whole day. MacHash gives a similar rundown.

But sorting out problems, giving credit to discoveries Mac related, discussing Apple in general is to me where the life of a community lies.

Not sure why you thought that was ā€œhaving a goā€, but I came across it as I was looking for the other post and thought it may be prudent to share, while I was pointing out where I had covered what had already been discussed.

Unrelated to this thread, but donā€™t you just love iMicā€™s stories.
I do

even though I have the latest iPhone, itā€™s been a few years since Iā€™ve used iTunes

Well, I did install 12.6.5, transferred a few apps over, only to find they are not compatible with the current iOS. Downloaded the latest itunes and installed that. I guess I dont need to bother with it for apps anymore. I glanced at my 3GS and 4S in the cupboard and thoughtā€¦ nahhhhhhh. Better send them to a recycler.

In my new job I regularly transfer data from an old iOS device to a new one. An incredibly annoying and painful process. In contrast, Iā€™ve done several different Androids as well, and it could not be easier and no need to plug into a PC just use a cable between the phones. Having to backup to icloud or itunes and then restore to the new device is incredibly archaic, being able to use a direct device to device cable connection (or even do it via Wifi) would be far preferable. Iā€™m crossing my fingers we get this in iOS13 but realise itā€™s not in Apples interest to make this easier, they want you to spend money on extra Icloud Storage you donā€™t really need.

2 Likes

@kyte if youā€™re Wanting to re home a 4S and 3GS let me know!