Downloading Sierra, is it possible?

Thank you very much, Matreya. I just ordered it. I didn’t expect it to be available anywhere other than the App store or an Apple store or from someone who already has it.

I’ve gone through the usual process to DL (several times) and made it to the hidden Sierra page and clicked the DL button. This is the first time I’ve had a problem with a DL from the app store. As noted above, what lands on my desktop are the images shown above, rather than a file with an installer.

The OS appears to be operating as it should. I DL all security updates when they are offered. There’s obviously something wrong with me or the Mac but I don’t know which it is.

Thanks again for your positive input.

From memory the Mac App Store would “install” a new app in your applications folder called “Upgrade to OSX Sierra” (or something like that) and you would just run that app to step through the steps.

Good to hear you have a solution sorted. You will have to let us know how you go.

It isn’t. You “ordered” it? :grimacing: Where did you “order” it from? I would never use an OS installer if it didn’t come directly from Apple!!

The signing of the install package is checked with Apple prior to install so it should be safe. i would say that this is just someone on EBay making a few bucks by creating USB install media from the official Apple supplied installer.

True. That said, I still wouldn’t do it as I’d guess there are ways around it - as with DOSDUDE’s installer hacks etc… :man_shrugging: (but willing to admit I don’t know a lot about that in particular).

It seems that iCloud is paternalisticlly filtering my messages again. I did not receive notification of the posts that followed my last one, or of the PM which I have just read and responded to. Sorry for not
responding earlier.

Jaysee, I used the link provided by Matreya. I didn’t want to use anything other than an Apple-supplied product. Fortunately I didn’t have to use it.

As soon as I completed the order for Sierra on a USB I had another look at the several Warning windows that cluttered the Desktop telling me that the disc image couldn’t be opened and decided to doubleclick the visible corner of an icon mostly hidden behind them, anyway. (That’s why I thought there must be some other app I should have been using.)

It opened to the installer window from which Sierra D/L without any further hitches. Then I was able to D/L the software I wanted.

Thanks again to all who responded.