Eurovision 2016

Anyone else watch Eurovision? I’m a self professed fanatic!

Disappointed so far after watching Semi final 1… Hopefully Semi final 2 is better. Then again songs usually grow on me by the time of the Final.

I really quite like Australia’s entry Sound of Silence by Dami Im, hopefully it does well (Everytime I hear the title It reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel… though thats not a bad thing :stuck_out_tongue: )

I never used to be into it but in recent years I have grown to enjoy it quite a bit, mostly because of parties thrown by friends where much fun was had. Last year we were actually in Manchester UK visiting a friend and got to watch it LIVE on the BBC which was awesome, though strangely it wasn’t as good because we had to listen to Graham Norton’s coverage rather than Julia and Sam who are just fabulous. The highlight of last years show wasn’t Guy Sebastian (although everyone was very impressed that we knew the words to the song having listened to it ad nauseum on the flight over there), but the appearance of Lee Lin Chin when they crossed to Australia for our votes. I think you probably heard us screaming in Australia.

This year there has been no party invite but we will watch it on TV for the repeats. I had no idea it was even on the other morning except I got up early to go to the gym and Twitter was alive with Eurovision Hashtags. Reminded me of the Doctor Who 50th where everyone was up early together.

I love love love Eurovision - it’s the most wonderful time of the year. I don’t think Dani has much of a shot this year but you never know. I agree with @Oldmacs though, SF1 was a bit of a let down. Hopefully the big five will actually be good for once…

I used to love Eurovision when it was a once yearly event commentated on by Terry Wogan, but now it’s become too big and too in-your-face, and don’t even get me started about the farce of allowing Australia to keep entering.

1 Like

Agreed! I love Sam and Julia - part pf the experience :smiley:

Yeah they do the semi finals live as well, I’m not committed enough to watch them at 5am, but I’ll definitely be up at 5am to watch on Sunday for the final - last year was the first year ever that the result wasn’t ruined for me, because I watched it live :smiley:

Hhahha yes, it is a wonderful time of the year :smiley:

I think Dami has got a chance - She’s tipped to be in the top 5 at least, some are saying winner or runner up. Would be exciting :slight_smile:

The Talk is that Spain’s entry is one of their best in a while and there is a fair bit of excitement over France (last years was quite boring)…

Lol Australia in the competition is awesome. I read somewhere that Eurovision has a higher viewership here than in Germany, Its a bit of fun, and finally we get to vote and also get a live broadcast unlike the past where every year I’d already know the winner accidentally from the TV/Radio/Social Media/blabing friend, so its great.

I think my favourites from Semi Final 1 were:

• Hungary was ok (ish)
  • Malta wasn’t bad ( Growing on me)
  • Russia’s song is boring but graphics are fantastic (The song is also growing on me)
  • Armenia I liked a little - had a really weird beginning, the special effects were interesting in the middle though.
  • The Netherlands was enjoyable but a bit repetitive (Well sung though)
  • Austria was really catchy, wish I knew what the song was about :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Estonia… mmm I liked the concept and his voice but it was a bit forgettable
  • Czech Republic was again… ok
  • Azerbaijan I liked and I think will grow on me

Last time I looked, Australia was not a part of Europe. It makes NO sense to me that we are in the competition at all. Fine, if you like to see the artists, but being IN the comp… Nope. Its just ridiculous.

Go Dami! Don’t care if she wins or loses, she was obviously having a blast being there. And she looked fabulous!

It honestly doesn’t matter that we’re not in Europe. Eurovision participation is based on EBU membership and as SBS are in the EBU, it means we qualify, that is why Isreal and Azerbaijan are there. As I’ve said given the cultural significance Eurovision holds to Australia + the high levels of viewership compared to many European countries, I don’t see how it could possibly be a bad thing. Makes a lot of Australians happy, makes many Europeans (besides Graham Norton) happy - its a bit of fun and also as I said, it allows us to get a live broadcast and for us to vote, which makes it more special for those of us who enjoy watching.

I’m hoping she’ll do well, but I agree she looked like she had a great time and she sounded amazing.

I don’t even know what EBU membership is. And if thats what eligibility for Eurovision is based on, how come it took so long for Aussies to get there? Or, alternatively, is that membership a recent thing, so our guys can go sing. 3 years ago, we were guests. Before that, nothing.

Agreed, Dami Im has a lovely voice. Cant remember which local competition she won, though.

European Broadcasting Union - I’m not sure when we joined, but yes competing in Eurovision is based on being a part, and SBS is a member. The choice to include us starting in 2015 (2014 we were invited to supply an interval act) was due to how successful the SBS is with Eurovision in Australia (due to strong cultural ties), and last year was the 60 year anniversary, so they wanted to do something different. This year we were invited back due to the popularity of Australia being in the competition last year, with viewers in Europe and senior Eurovision executives being very impressed with SBS and Guy Sebastian last year. Since Sam and Julia started doing SBS’s Eurovision coverage in 2009(?) popularity here has climbed.

X Factor I think.

@mitty I think one of your tweets just went up on the broadcast??? (Just guessing from the twitter handle…)

Haha yes. My proudest moment. Stuff you qanda, Eurovision is where it’s at :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was you :stuck_out_tongue:

Georgia #1 forever.