Just done a final backup and deleted MoneyWiz from my devices.
There's things I like and dislike about both MoneyWiz and Money Pro, but the lack of updated WatchOS app's a bit of a deal breaker for me with MoneyWiz. With MoneyPro I can do my shopping and record the transaction from my Watch without having to take my phone out. I can with MoneyWiz as well, but the Watch app's so slow you're not doing it in under two minutes. And I've also found a bug which the developer refuses to acknowledge where after entering a transaction on the Watch, it will break synchronisation on the iPhone. The fix to resolve this is to uninstall and reinstall the app. Aside from the obvious annoyance, there's also 3 other problems with this:
- Having to recustomize the app (this isn't a huge problem, there's a number of settings which are saved and synced back from the MoneyWiz file).
- If you don't realise sync's broken for a few days, you then have to reenter those transactions on another device.
- Because of the way syncing works, they use their own backend for syncing the main database, but receipts are synced using DropBox, it's really cumbersome to get all your receipts synchronised, especially over a slow internet connection (you have to set both your device settings and MoneyWiz so they never lock while it downloads them all).
Money Pro's not without its faults though:
1. MoneyWiz will let me drag and drop a PDF receipt and it will automatically convert to a jpeg. It also optmizes jpegs automatically for reducing file sizes. With MoneyPro there's an extra step of converting to jpeg
2. Money Pro treats Payees as an optional, secondary consideration. I'm used to treating them as important as a category, this mindset might change in time though. When I do enter a transaction on my Watch, I have to go and enter the payee on one of my other devices later on.
3. And finally, this is a really seemingly small thing that is actually a real problem. With MoneyWiz, you can set how long before it should ask for a security code or TouchID. I set it to 1 minute, if I'm reconciling on my iPhone, this allows me to switch between MoneyWiz and the ANZ banking app without having to authenticate each time, it's really useful since ANZ recently updated their app with the same feature. Money Pro locks the database out instantly.
Banktivity (formerly iBank) looks good as well, but it's $90 for the Mac app alone. I'm not paying that for it.