Friday Morning News

15796-12274-160204-Touch-lA US court has ruled Apple must pay for infringing patents with iMessage and FaceTime. The case marks the second time known patent trolls VirnetX has won against Apple, who previously lost a court case when FaceTime was found to infringe on VirnetX patents. While that case was later thrown out, this time around VirnetX has asked for $625 million for communications protocol infringements found in Apple’s FaceTime, VPN on Demand, and iMessage services.

A new Apple patent filing sets up the possibility of force-sensitive Touch ID sensors, but before you get out and measure the midichlorian count of your iPhone or say that it will bring balance to the force, know that this is just for a Touch ID sensor that can sense the amount of pressure you put on it, much like how 3D Touch already works.

Apple Maps has added a number of new Flyover locations, which also includes Australia’s own Adelaide.

John Gruber has words about Apple’s app problem, saying that while he’s not immune to software issues, Apple has traditionally had higher standards for its hardware than it has had for software.

Over at iMore, Rene Ritchie says that half the problem is about eliminating the need for legacy support, and while a scorched-earth policy could work for any new software projects the company decides to take on, I’m not sure Apple’s customer base would be happy with some of the decisions.

MacStories has a review of Day One 2
, which launched yesterday and brought along with it notable changes both visually and in the features department. Both the Mac and iOS versions are new apps, but if you know the kind of value a daily journalling app like Day One brings, then you’ll know it’s worth it.

9to5Mac has the somewhat controversial opinion that a visible filesystem is required for the iPad Pro wants to be a true PC replacement. I say controversial because while people have been wanting a Finder-style app for ages now, perhaps the lack of it is what makes iOS so good, in terms of productivity.

In the words of Ben Brooks, maybe a lack of a visible filesystem is what makes iOS a compelling productivity choice. A filesystem presents you files, which you can choose to do things with. On the other hand, iOS presents you with actions to perform on files — a different way of thinking, for sure, but one that perhaps makes a little more sense.

Macworld’s Glenn Fleishman tells us how to consolidate multiple iPhoto libraries when moving to Photos for Mac. Now if only we could do the same thing with Apple ID accounts, we’d be set.

Campo Santo and Panic’s game Firewatch is out next week, and it’s currently available for pre-order on Steam at a 10% discount. Being a Steam Play title means it works on both Mac and PC, or you’ll also be able to play it on PS4 when it releases.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/02/friday-morning-news050216/

I’m in Adelaide, and I can’t get our Flyover to work on any platform (iOS and OS X). Other cities work. Is this intentional?

Seems to work fine here.

Indeed I see the 3D effect, but not the Flyover? Or is the 3D effect referred to as “Flyover”? I don’t get that automatic tour option. Sorry, this is a bit confusing.

Yep, the 3D is Flyover :slightly_smiling:

If by “automatic tour option” you’re referring to the white car on the blue background, that’s just navigation directions thanks to the Adelaide dropped pin.