Friday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/09/friday-morning-news160916/

Happy new iPhone day! Our friends across the pond have already started receiving their deliveries, and in under an hour our own Apple stores will open for the iPhones to fly off the shelves. I mean, sure, people will be buying the new Apple Watch Series 2 today as well, but it’s all about the iPhone.

If you’re heading to a store in the hopes of picking up a Jet Black or Plus-sized iPhone (or on the off chance you’re reading this from the line), you’re probably going to be out of luck. Apple has told multiple outlets that Jet Black and Plus-sized iPhone (the latter in every colour) stock has sold out completely, and while stock levels may be different on a per-store basis here in Australia, I wouldn’t count on it. Will there be zero Jet Black iPhones day one? We’ll have to wait and see.

Don’t listen to the naysayers like Walt Mossberg when enjoying your new iPhone today. Yes, the iPhone 7 looks pretty similar to iPhones from two years ago, which is why you buy the Black or Jet Black versions to let everyone know you have the new thing. And if you’re truly committed to the cause, then you publicly flaunt the Lightning to headphone jack, just so there can be no mistake about which iPhone you have.

Tidbits about the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 from Six Colors says the Jet Black is slightly grippier than the regular black version, Apple’s packaging game is still on point, and as it turns out, there’s no substitute for a physical home button. The new button-less home button just doesn’t have the same magic as Apple’s Force Touch trackpads, but hey, maybe you’ll get used to it.

Even though the sensor is smaller, and there’s no optical image stabilisation on the telephoto lens on the iPhone 7 Plus, there’s still an argument to be made for shooting on it exclusively. The 56mm (full-frame equivalent) focal length is much closer to the magic 50mm focal length, kind of like how video is a little more zoomed in than photos are.

Where the iPhone 7 Plus gives you two cameras, the regular iPhone 7 also has the same brains behind the operation. Macworld explains that the dual pairs of processors in Apple’s A10 chip work to balance high-performance tasks with high efficiency, leading to better battery life and performance that rivals desktop machines in single-core tests.

If you know someone who’s jumping on the iPhone bandwagon for the first time (hey, I won’t judge), send them the iOS 10 user guide. It’s available either online or as an iBooks download, so they can refer to it when they’re using their device or have a flick through during a free minute.

Ben Brooks writes that iOS 10 is a major shift for iOS, seeing as it now includes features that allow it to be personalised more than ever before. IOS can now anticipate what you’re trying to and help you out along the way, all without compromising your privacy. Machine learning has come a long way, but there’s still plenty that can be improved.

In case iOS isn’t your jam, Apple has released a second GM of macOS Sierra. The new GM carries the build number of 16A323, compared to the 16A320 build of the first GM.

Now that Apple has killed the headphone jack in the iPhone, it’s possible the company is looking to do the same in its Macs. A survey sent to some MacBook Pro owners asks them how often they use the headphone jack on their laptop, paving the way for its eventual removal — you know, once Apple updates the Mac lineup. Either way, enjoy your iPhones over the weekend, and we’ll see you on Monday.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind that at all. Of the two ports on my MacBook, I have never used one of them which seems a bit of a waste of space!

For a MBP from my point of view the more ports the better - it ain’t an MBA or MB so let’s not de-pro it please!