Friday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/11/friday-morning-news251116/
Microsoft Solitaire Collection iconApple’s one-day shopping event specials are pretty tame, as far as specials go, but were we really expecting anything incredible? Like previous years and previous promotions, Apple is offering up to a $200 Apple gift card with the purchase of products, with selected products giving different valued gift cards. Interestingly, while Apple are advertising the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, it doesn’t appear as if they’re eligible for the $200 gift card, along with the the iPhone 7, 7 Plus, or Apple Watch Series 2.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard of a rumour from DigiTimes, but the Chinese supply chain source claims Apple will launch a 10.5-inch iPad early next year. Rumours of new iPads are the reason why I haven’t picked up a refurb iPad mini 4 just yet, because if I’ve held off from upgrading my old non-Retina, 1st-gen iPad mini for this long, I can hold off a few more months.

Another report claims Apple is working with LG on a next-gen 3D camera for the 2017 iPhone. It’s possible that such a camera would be used for some of Apple’s 3D imaging patents, but the more likely explanation is a better implementation of the portrait mode feature found in the current iPhone, perhaps even bringing it to the regular-sized iPhone.

Apple has a special tool to assist with data recovery on non-booting late-2016 MacBook Pros, because of course they do. With the SSD soldered on in the Touch Bar-equipped models, it would have been incredibly unusual for Apple to not have some method of retrieving data from a dead logic board.

Apple has partnered with Indian ride-hailing service Ola to offer Apple Music as part of the in-car experience. As part of a bigger platform called Ola Play, Apple Music will be available to ride-hailers in order to let them select the music they have on their journey, along with other forms of entertainment.

Interestingly, Apple are no longer disclosing their ad costs. One Wells Fargo analyst speculates it’s to hide increasing ad spends, with last year’s Apple ad budget being a record $1.8 billion.

Twelve South’s HiRise Duet is the ultimate charging solution if you have both an iPhone and an Apple Watch. Charging both devices from a single cable, it doesn’t appear to be available from the Apple online store, but you can pick it up direct from Twelve South for US $120.

MacStories tells us about Infuse 5, the all-playing app that streams video from a NAS or other device onto iOS devices. The latest version of Infuse carries a subscription pricetag, but also comes with iPad-specific features such as split view and picture in picture.

If you’re looking for something to play this weekend, look no further than Microsoft’s Solitaire Collection. It’s a free app, so those looking to bring back the days of Windows 1998 and Windows XP will feel right at home.

The Designed by Apple in California book is pretty good. But you know what’s better? Having the actual products, which is exactly why Stephen Hackett put together a video of the book and the products.

1 Like

I’ve got the original HiRise for my iPhone, but this looks like a really nice and neat upgrade.