Friday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/06/friday-morning-news020617/

There’s a new version of Swift Playgrounds on the way from Apple, complete with support for interaction with real-world robots, drones, and music instruments. Apple’s announcement of Swift Playgrounds 1.5 says the app will soon support Bluetooth enabled devices such as the Sphero SPRK+, Lego Mindstorms Education EV3, Parrot drones, and more. Starting on Monday, those wanting to program commands into their robots can do so.

Apple has also announced developer earnings reaching the $70 billion mark. App Store growth doesn’t seem to be slowing down either, with 70% growth in the last 12 months. Normally this is the kind of statistic that Apple would announce at WWDC in front of their developers, so I’m curious why Apple are announcing it now instead of on-stage. Perhaps they just have too many products to announce.

The WWDC decorations have started going up at the McEnery Convention Centre in San Jose ahead of WWDC next week. One entire side of the building is covered in a poster of the top-down people poster, and banners have started appearing on light-poles surrounding the centre.

Over at Macworld, Jason Snell gives us the odds on what we’ll see announced at WWDC. I’d consider announcements about iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS to be a lock, and there’s a good chance there’ll be some kind of iCloud/Apple Music related improvements in the pipeline, too. Although WWDC is an event for developers, Apple probably won’t miss the opportunity to show off some new hardware either, but whether that will be a new model of iPad Pro or revamped Mac laptops is still up in the air.

Snell also has a post on his own Six Colors website about the potential improvements to iOS and macOS that we’re likely to see. Pro-level multitasking features might be on the cards for iOS, with perhaps minor improvements to macOS, although it’s hard to imagine what Apple could do to push desktop and laptop usage forward.

A report from DigiTimes claims Apple will be increasing their usage of Intel modems in the next iPhone. Despite a Qualcomm performance advantage, it’s possible that Apple’s ongoing lawsuit with Qualcomm has somewhat soured their relationship with the company, or this could be a case of Apple diversifying their suppliers.

In similar supply chain news, Sony has said that they will be prioritising Apple over other vendors. DigiTimes claims Sony will focus their manufacture of smartphone camera components to Apple, Huawei, and Oppo, with other vendors forced to look elsewhere for image sensors.

There’s a new entrant to the iPhone OCR scene, and Adobe Scan arrives as the company’s solution to turn documents into PDFs. Scan automatically uploads your documents into Adobe’s Document Cloud, but you’ll still need a paid-for Adobe product if you want to edit the digitised text.

Plex Pass subscribers now have access to Live TV features if you own a compatible TV tuner. Now you can watch and record TV at the same time, along with the other DVR features already offered by Plex.

There’s an all-new version of Skype out that turns it into a little like Snapchat. It’s a complete visual overhaul of Skype as you knew it, with a more modern design and a story-mode called Highlights that’s sort of like Snapchat Stories. Cross another one off the list, because one of these days, stories will be coming to Excel like people on Twitter said it would.

Swift, although supposedly open source, is still tied to only work fully on Apple equipment (although you can run it on Ubuntu Linux you CANNOT develop and release apps on it).

If Apple really want to language to be adopted and make a real change it needs to be available on other platforms, until then it is just yet more smoke and mirrors from Apple.

I am hoping the rumored Siri stand alone device is announced.

I see little point when Siri is more or less useless outside of the USA, what actual real advantage/use would a Siri standalone device be?

Siri is still a work in progress
My latest car has carplay so Im slowly getting used to using Siri in the car.

I’m using Siri at home with HomeKit stuff, some of it was enabled via homebridge. One I got used to what questions and phrases Siri will act on, I use Siri more a lot in the house. But you need to have your phone or watch on you to use Siri.

I could not agree less…

So tell me what you can practically use Siri for other than the weather, sending messages and adding things to your shopping list, assuming it actually correctly understands what you say, I find it extremely unreliable, Google Now is substantially better at correctly identifying what is said.

1 Like

Controlling HomeKit devices, setting timers, creating context reminders (Hey Siri, remind me of this [this being whatever is on the screen at the time, e.g email, message] when I get home)

1 Like

Fair enough, I’ve never seen (and don’t have) any Homekit devices so that functionality has no relevance to me and I simply forgot about the other 2 items you mention.

Paying for yet another (over priced) Apple device to do the rather mundane things that have been mentioned seems excessive to me, unless there is real “must have” function announced of course - but even then it’ll need to be something pretty darned amazing

I find it useful enough, and much more useful than not having — because at the end of the day that is what we are effectively talking about.

As an aside, I also value not giving away my personal information, and do not use Google anything as a result.