Friday Morning News

It’s still unknown why Apple chose to pull the public release of watchOS 2, but a series of tweets from PCCalc developer James Thomson suggest it may have had something to do with FairPlay, the licensing-part of apps that ensures they’re authorised to run on the hardware in question. With watchOS 2 including native apps, an issue with FairPlay not…

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/friday-morning-news180915/

1 Like

Umm…give us the option and at least some of us would.

Most websites don’t and to be frank most websites aren’t worth paying for - I wouldn’t give a Murdoch paper a dime because of his political leanings, but I did try to become a member of The Guardian but they charge in £ and it was way too much - I asked them to offer $AU plans but got no response.

I would not give a lot of tech websites any money because they simply curate (aka steal) other websites content and rejig it as their own. I’d much rather support original journalism and that includes paying The Verge so I don’t have to use an adblocker.

I really like it. It takes a long time to pull down the articles every time you open it though. When a site truncates its RSS it’s a simple swipe up to go to the full page and article and much less of a chore than Flipboard. AppleTalk doesn’t work it though :frowning:

Speaking of paying for stuff, I’d gladly pay again for Tweetbot and Pocket Weather. My most used app and the best Australian weather app out there bar none.

1 Like

Agreed!

I should clarify, I do whitelist AppleTalk and I would gladly accept relevant ads on the site (i.e. mac hardware etc.) and I have already thrown some app store commission your way, but I detest retargeting ads - it feels like I have been violated when I visit a site then see ads for it all around the web and especially when they’re not relevant to the site I’m on. I’m all for tracking statistics too, that’s necessary, but when I choose the option to Do Not Track and sites ignore it I fix the problem myself.

People will accept ads if they’re not intrusive, if they’re relevant to the site they’re on, and if they don’t feel like an invasion of privacy. The smart websites understand this.

We’ve discussed running ads, but for the moment we’re running this place out of our own pockets. It’s about the bigger picture, you know?

1 Like

Yep, thinking about the bigger picture is how places like this succeed long term. Small steps.

Hmm. Try it with http://feeds.feedburner.com/com/atau and see what happens.

Can’t wait for the next version of Pocket Weather!

If you run a subscription ad-free system here, I’m happy to contribute - e.g. $20/year or something to be site supporter. I do it for most forums I’m active in.

This! I already pay an annual subscription for GiantBomb and Ars Technica. If more sites offered the option, and had content worth reading that wasn’t mostly click bait, then I’d happily pay for them too.

I think the popularity of content blockers is driven by it being one of the few (and very published) new additions to iOS9 that people see as worthwhile. Everyone gets that new iOS version and sees all the ads for “XX new things you can do with iOS9” and content is in there so people try stuff.

Marco also has a pretty wide audience of tech minded people who are more likely to want something like this too, hell I bought it because it has his name against it (and I use Ghostery on the desktop).

I’m the same, sites I like I whitelist to support them in a small way.

While it’s not a new thing, It will be interesting to see what putting content blockers front and centre on the mobile platform will do to adoption rates on the desktop and then if it will drive changes in advertisers behaviour. (and then will they get smarter in what/how they advertise or just sneakier in getting around the blockers).

I pay subs to two of my photography forums. I’d be happy enough to pay for this one as well.

It’s out! Watch.app > General > Software Update