Future of uploaded CDs without iTunes

What will happen to my uploaded CD library when iTunes is discontinued? Can I still play them on my Apple TV via the Computers tab? Is there another app or platform that I can transfer the files to for viewing on my audio and visual entertainment units? Apple Music doesn’t seem to allow for viewing of non-Apple purchased media. How long will we have to find a solution?

What are you basing your speculation on?

Apple has announced that iTunes will be superseded and that Apple Music will replace iTunes on MACs. Apple Music on my iPad and iPhone does not list non-Apple purchased media in my library. I have uploaded my entire CD collection to iTunes, will I be able to access it.

From the Apple website:

The new Music app is the ultimate music streaming experience on Mac.1 Explore a library of 50 million songs, discover new artists and tracks, find the perfect playlist, or listen to all the music you’ve collected over the years. And find it all in your music library on all your devices.

Emphasis mine.

I see no reason to suspect that you won’t be able to play your ripped CDs. I have stuff in my collection I ripped in the late 90s, before iTunes even happened in 2001. I, too, would be upset if I suddenly didn’t have access to thousands of songs not purchased from Apple.

I’m not impressed with Catalina, but that is a different thread entirely.

I wonder if in this, they are actually referring to music you have bought via itunes. I am already looking for non-Apple alternatives. Sadly, Songbird is now discontinued.

I doubt it. Audiophiles, which Apple has always specifically targeted, will often have huge collections ripped from analog sources like LPs or tape, and many, many more people, especially older people (and I’m rapidly heading into middle-age, so I hate to say it, but I will soon be one of them) have ripped CDs and haven’t had the physical CDs themselves in years. I have a small stack leftover, but I started to dispense with them years ago. The backlash would be huge.

On Linux I use Rhythmbox, maybe it can be compiled on macOS? The Complete Guide to Rhythmbox

Do you have iCloud Music Library turned on? It’s a major feature of Apple Music. Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music – Apple Support

There’s no reason to believe that Apple are going to remove the ability to play your own music library. From all reports, Apple Music on the Mac is basically a redesigned iTunes with non-music functions stripped out into their own separate apps.

1 Like

I hope you’re right, it would make a lot more sense to me than to deprive we oldies of our years of CD acquisition. Additionally, I don’t sub to Apple Music, why would I, I have Amazon Music which comes with my Prime subscription (which I only got for the video, but have found a lot more use for it than just that)

I’m afraid I really had to laugh when I read this. I am already WAAAAAY past middle age. I remember that heady time before I reached middle age… life was much easier.

What about 23 year olds :smiley: I have a CD collection as well!!!

I personally think that the new music will continue to work similarly to iTunes… Sounds like its just a reskinned iTunes.

Apple Music in macOS Catalina will import users’ existing music libraries from iTunes in their entirety, Apple says. That includes not just music purchased on iTunes, but rips from CDs, MP3s, and the like added from other sources.

Further, the existing feature that synced users’ non-iTunes files to the cloud will continue to work, and of course, users will still be able to buy songs from Apple. Apple is not turning Apple Music into a streaming-only experience. For the most part, the end of iTunes seems to be an end in name only: key features will be retained in the Music app.

2 Likes

Thats all very well for Catalina users, but I am not going to be one.

giphy

1 Like

The only thing I’m wondering about without itunes is how will we get ringtones onto our devices. I’m hoping just through the new Finder Functionality.

Everyone seems to be freaking out that iTunes is “dead”.

It’s simply being stripped of all the extra stuff it accumulated and is being renamed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance that personal non-Apple libraries will be accessible. I haven’t turned iCloud music on because the data required would take me up past the 50gb level subscription when added to my iCloud Photo Library. I assume this means I will only be able to access my music from local Mac files via my Apple TV and my ipad&iphone will only have my Apple purchased media.

2 Likes

I would blame the media for putting out headlines that said Apple had announced that iTunes was disappearing 2 days before WWDC.

I actually have a feeling that iCloud Music Library doesn’t use iCloud storage if you have an Apple Music account… but I could be wrong. It certainly didn’t used to.

Correct