G’day everyone and thanks for the replies
Firstly - yes, the RAM is maxed out at 1.5GB. Had to go back to my confirmation email from eBay to confirm that - can’t believe I didn’t mention the proper specs above anywhere! I’m doing an inventory of my Macs tomorrow, so will try check the Cube out again then.
Given lots of feedback and research into the topic, I accept the Cube will not be playing HD video. That little bee is out of my bonnet - Now using an XBox One as my main HTPC. As such I’ll settle for using the Cube for:
a) MPEG2’s (ie DVD rips) (hopefully via Airport, but doubting it will keep up unless I find a faster 3rd party option)
(Ok - I’ll throw in another fantasy - I’m currently using my wife’s 2009 MBP as a full-time Netflix box in our bedroom… Would be great to set the Cube up instead and free the MBP to be a laptop… But given that my Intel Mac Mini 2.0GHz couldn’t handle Netflix, I’m guessing the Cube will have no chance!)
Based on above, if I can’t get the existing video card to talk to my 17" Studio Display, I’ll need a new video card… So that leaves the option for an upgrade. It’s just going to have to wait though, as I just picked up a 23" Cinema Display off eBay, and am now looking at Mac Pro 3,1 / 4,1’s so I can relieve my iMac of all duties…