G4 Cube Love

Surely it would fit.
Every Cube you see for sale with a Geforce2MX is one that was pulled from a tower.
Genuine Cube shipped 2MX is extremely rare.

I have an ATI7500 installed in mine and I’m sure that that wasn’t an AGP2 card.

Ah, ok!

Just read on a forum, someone specifically stating they pulled a GeForce MX2 from a Quicksilver and popped it in their Cube… So @leon, I’d say you are indeed right.

Hey @iMic… Would be interested in one of those cards… :slight_smile:

I really should get my cube out of storage and see if I can get it working…

I just read about someone using GeForce 5200 128MB and 256MB cards in a Cube…

I have a 64MB version of those in my G5 tower. From what I was reading I think they used a PC version of the card, which they flashed for Mac…

Is there any risk to the Cube if I just plug it in and see if it works?

http://lowendmac.com/video/agp/geforce-5200.html

Apparently - it works. Going to try… just as soon as I find my T10 screwdriver.

T10 screwdriver arrived today from gamingsupplier2016 (eBay seller). It was useless - the “grip” spins around the handle, and the handle spins around the metal shaft. “Luckily” after ordering this single screwdriver, I actually ordered a set of Torxes because I need a T20 for my Chrysler’s reverse light… So just waiting now for that to arrive.

Meanwhile however I pulled the Nvidia GeForce MX 5200 (64MB) card from my G5 Dual 1.8GHz tower. Looking at it, vs pictures of cards pulled from the Cube, I can’t see how it will fit into the adapter. If it does fit, I’ll need to adapt the card’s face plate to make sure it is held firmly in place.

Looking further at the above link, I see it is referring to 5200 cards with 128MB or 256MB… I also saw a link for the 64MB version, stating it was ONLY compatible with the Dual G5’s… So - maybe I’m not on a winner here after all…

I’m going to open the Cube up and re-seat everything, hit it with the Air-In-A-Can, and try it again with the Studio Display… cross fingers it will work… If not, @iMic, I may go for that card after all. :} At this point my only plans are to use the machine for music and as a moving picture frame, so it wont need an amazing video card for that.

Still sitting on my desk at work, so no problems there. Will keep it set aside just in case.

Join the fun. :slight_smile:

Torx Set arrived!

Opened the Cube - pretty easy with the right tools!

G5 Nvidia GeForce 5200 64MB card - Definitely does not fit into the video card slot.

Ran out of Air so going to grab some shortly and then pull a few more things out and blow some air around and hope that magically fixes the ADC port on the stock card. If not, nice to know there’s one waiting for me, @iMic.

Cleaned up, re-seated RAM and video card, still no image on my Studio Display. :frowning: Cube starts up - noticeably there was no chime - seems happy enough but no image. PM coming @iMic

G’day,
Thanks to @iMic for the new card for my Cube!
Unfortunately, what the experience has taught me is that it’s probably not the card’s fault - there is a black cable that is missing from my Cube, and no doubt causing the lack of power for the ADC port.

[Image shows inside of a Cube, graphics card lifted up out of the way, with the “J3” black cable running from top to bottom on left hand side - that’s what’s missing!]

There’s a guy on eBay currently selling the Cube’s graphics card riser, with both of its cables, but only shipping within USA. Guess this little project may have to wait a while longer…

If they are hard to find, it may be worth using a US forwarder, such as price USA, MYUS etc.

I’ve been emailing Mac parts people around US / UK / AU - seems like it may be a hard piece to track down - doesn’t seem to be a common “part” as such, not included with the riser normally, nor part of the main sets of wiring that people stock (eg hard drive cabling).

At this point I’ll just keep an eye out… The one on eBay would probably cost me AU$50 to get it here… and yet I could pick up an entire “parts Core” for around $150…

At least I know what’s going on… And can still look at setting the Cube up, just head-less…

I wonder what connectors are on each end. May not be overly difficult to knock-up a replica cable with components from Element14. Although knowing Apple boards, it’s probably some kind of obscure or extremely purpose-specific connector.

I had wondered about making it somehow…

Riser - “J3” is the label where the black 2-wire cable connects. Disconnected end goes to other side of the modem card.

Close up of video card riser, and the head of the cable.

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/4/a/apple-power-mac-g4-cube-video-card-riser-820-1102-a-a539c6e6557e80d8fc016f3fadd240d2.jpg
Riser without cable connected.

Riser end of cable sticking up in middle of the photo.

Well… I did say when I got the Cube - it’s “my first”… May just have to get another one as parts… :slight_smile: Dream big, hobo… Just may need a few more years to find sufficient disposable income with 3 kids and 2x 10+ year old cars.

Just confirm - the cable I need has Molex 43025 on both ends, thanks to Andropov over on the 68k forum.

Looks like I can pick up the parts at Jaycar for less than $10.

PS A basic Cube with power supply just sold on eBay for $345. Anyone here? :slight_smile:

Have ordered the parts from element14. Hopefully will do the trick. Tried Jaycar, but they were useless.

The update I’ve been putting off cos I’m an idiot. :}

I ordered 2 molex plugs… and 2 female connectors… but, each plug needs 2 connectors… 4 total… so this project stalled cos I didn’t want to pay another $16 on top of the previous $18 to get $0.38 worth of parts delivered…

https://media.digikey.com/Photos/Molex/0430300001_sml.jpg

Googling just now… I’ve placed an order for 100 pieces from a different company, with free freight, for $12. (So if anyone wants a Molex 43030-0001 female connector… just sing out). Yes, it’s wasteful, but… so’s forcing customers to use courier prices for something that could just go in a $2 tough bag.

Meanwhile… Picking up my Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks tomorrow that I scored on eBay for $31 - though there’s a chance they are dead. The seller said he couldn’t get them to work; he also didn’t know they were USB until I asked the question, so I’m hoping it was a case of him not knowing what he had / how to use them. Thus tonight I’ve fired the Cube up, and currently copying over my iTunes library. Cleared the shelf so there’s room to set it up properly. Really getting excited, because this is now (once the Studio Display is hopefully hooked up in the near future) going to be the exact set-up that I remember from all those years ago in-store that blew me away.

I had to use Ethernet for the data transfer - the Airport card wouldn’t talk to my iiNet Modem… hoping Rowmote will talk to it that way to give me some kind of easy wireless control. I am able to use screen sharing via my MacPro, so that’s always a last resort option to queue up the next song… :slight_smile:

Cheers for now

happy cosmic

That looks like the second power cable for high powered AGP cards. You can get lower powered AGP cards that won’t put as much stress on the PSU also. On the other hand that information might help you understand what it does. Most high end AGP cards of that era had a second power cable as not enough power could be drawn from a single power rail. The Nvidia cards such as the 5200 from that era were notoriously known for excessive power drain vs. holy underwhelming performance batman also. The Nvidia 5500 and 5800 FX are even worse for not delivering performance vs. the amount of power they ue.

Yeah - just won’t power the screen… there’s someone in the UK parting a Cube out… inc this cable… but their price is huge and postage no better.

The seller dropped the Harmon Kardon speakers to my door this morning.

Looks good, except USB connector is rusty…

Would you connect to test or cut n replace???

Actually looking closer - I won’t plug that into my Cube…! Time to buy some solder. I have a “clear” USB cable laying around somewhere - can at least vaguely make it look ok.

Just resolider it if you have the skills to do it. I wouldn’t plug that into my computer. It looks like a fire hazard waiting to happen. Regarding the power cable. Either find/make the daughter board for the second power cable, or find another video card… the Radeon 9800 from that period is the better video card to have anyway, unless there is some other reason not to use one.

I’ve cut the plastic sleeve off the USB connector - looked worse than it was I think, but I’ll clean it up and resolder. Haven’t done any soldering in years but still have my iron. (Thanks to AppleCentre Darwin’s closing down sale.)

WIth the video card power cable - I have all almost all the bits I need to make my own cable now. When I was still hoping to use the Cube as HTPC, I would certainly have considered a new graphics card, but given it’s just going to be used as a “live photo frame” - I’ll use the card I’ve got.