G4 Cube Love

I don’t think you’re ever going to turn a Cube into a HTPC. A G5 will struggle with HD video. Unless you want to part it out and put a PC inside of the case and mak a Hackintosh or something, I’d accept the cube for what it is. Given that OS X didn’t really have hardware video acceleration until 10.5 anyway… I don’t think you’ll ever have enough CPU/GPU power to do HD video decoding.

In saying that I’d start with a non-functioning Cube if I were going to make a Hackintosh.

Yeah - I’ve accepted that now. :slight_smile: And an XBox One S will always be infinitely more accepted by the kids cos - it plays games. Like, real games, dad.

I am really hoping now that the Harmon Kardon speakers will sound better than the Cube’s pro speakers that I picked up. Physically they appear in better shape. Then at least the Cube can become our home sound system…

Oh - I couldn’t kill a working Cube to make a Hack! Nor a TAM.

Well, for what its worth I had the original version of those Harmon Kardon speakers back when I had a G4 iMac… That was 15 years ago now but I remember they actually sound pretty decent form computer speakers.

I have to buy some solder, but I’ve spliced the USB cable with another one, and am now listening to Dumb Things by Paul Kelly. :slight_smile: (Very quietly so as to not wake the kids…)

As hoped - despite being the same vintage, they are providing a much more enjoyable experience than the Pro speakers - no crackling, at least at this volume. There is a hum, however I suspect that’s the splicing - will remedy ASAP - just glad to have confirmed that the speakers were worth the punt!

Frustratingly - whilst Rowmote on my iPhone does control the Cube, it does not handle iTunes. I will as such need another app / control interface for my new DukeBox. Or should that be - DukeCube.

(I was going for “artistic” but could use a vignette - plus some polishing of the speakers… and… stuff. Cube on its side til I get the USB cable sorted properly. Need room to put my 17" Studio Display up on that shelf, too. Actually - can Front Row show slideshows whilst playing music? Could work…)

Who needs to look for a new job… or write a novel… or update the household budget… or do washing or dishes… I’ve got a jellyfish speaker playing my tunes…

If they release a new Mac mini tonight, you could probably just fit the thing wholesale inside the Cube case! :joy:

Would look super cool on the desk! :thinking:

2 Likes

I want a cube case just for a Mac Mini or Hackintosh build inside (as I posted earlier in this thread, I think), I think the Cube looks amazing. But I’d settle for something cube shaped but in black or aluminum. Like what if there was a Cube during the Cheesegrater era, or a Cube put out with the Trashcan?

Something like this (this is a Cube G4):

Related image

Or this (actually a Mac mini):

I love the Mini Cheesegrater look! But then again I’ve always been partial to them - I may be picking up a couple of MacPro 2,1 (I think they’re that version anyway) soon - and I wonder what I’ll really do with them.

The cheese grater Cube grater looks - great. :slight_smile:

I have two Cheesegrater cases. Been siting the garage for two years… Was going to convert one into a PC case (with custom ATX plate on the back). Not sure If I will ever get to it, unfortunately.

In part the cost of the ATX plate, and having the time.

VzZ8nvD

3 Likes

It would be cool to strip a mini down to the board, and buttons and wire it into a Cube casing. I’ve built a cube sized high power computer before. I had a Shutle PC with a 6800 GT in it. It was pretty cool to be able to just unplug it and take it with you. But with high powered laptops I don’t even see the point in a desktop anymore.

Don’t tell the wife… Just bought a base-level ATI graphics card for the Cube from an eBayer from Hungary, because it includes the riser (that I have), and cable (that I am missing)… US$26… :nerd_face:

(Was trying to build my own, but was going to have to pay $18 inc postage for the final component, so… as long as I can sell the ATI card for about $20 I’ll be in front! :slight_smile: )

ATI card, riser, and “power cable” arrived this week. Have finally found time to open the Cube and test it out… Woo hoo! Finally, I can pair my Cube with the matching clear 17" Studio Display!

And the clear shrink-wrap tubing that I ordered arrived from China so I can properly repair the Harmon Kardon speakers, too.

It may have taken a few years, and the end goal may have changed from HTPC to boom-box with digital picture frame), but I’ll get there!

1 Like

Has anyone managed to set up an SSD in a Cube?

There’s a thread over on MacRumors… doesn’t fill me with confidence. Lot of issues getting the computer to recognise the SSD, and to instal an OS. Not to mention mounting it, with the applicable converters assuming you use a modern Sata SSD…

I figure at some point, this will become an issue (ie when the HDD dies…), not to mention hopefully making the machine run quieter - although as noted above, I have the Sonnet card, so I think its fan tends to be running most the time anyways.

I’ve been largely ignoring the Cube… need to solder the USB cable for the HK Sound Sticks, which I’ve been putting off for what must be years now (yep - 3 years! just saw the time since last post, which mentioned the shrink wrap), cos of some stupid fear of “what if I fuck it up”. Trying to get over that mentality…

I also really want to get extra brave and sand the case to remove the scratches that were in it when I bought it. Just need to find a really good tutorial to walk me through it.

In some other devices, I have seen people take the approach of replacing the HDD with Compact Flash cards. There appears to be adapters that work somewhat natively. Given you’re limited to an IDE connection, you can basically get the maximum performance the connection is available of handling with a CF card. May be worth investigating.

Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds interesting. I’ve been looking round beyond MacRumors and there’s certainly a few variations out there. May not be as scary as the first thread I read suggested.

1 Like