"Good-bye Again"?

“Hello Again”? I think not. This pursuit of thinness has reached monumental ridiculous status. The display strip is a gimmick, the Touch-ID is nice, but not impressive, USB-C was inevitable, but far from a selling point to me.

Where was the major innovation touted by “Hello Again”? This is all just evolution - not revolution.

I left Apple in the 90’s when they lost their way and it was the new generation and OSX that got me back.

Maybe it’s time to say “Good-Bye Again” . . . . .

1 Like

2 Likes

I have no problem with you disagreeing with whatever Apple has/hasn’t done, I have a problem with you doing it in a way that doesn’t add to the discussion.

Saying “I’m done, last Apple product for me, Apple might as well murder kittens now” is great. You’re well within your rights to.

But… I don’t care. What you do is your own business. If you want to say that, get a Twitter account or blog like normal person.

AppleTalk is about discussion. We can agree to disagree on many things (and the part I truly enjoy the most is the discussion that follows), but just saying things like “welp, I guess that’s my last Apple product” adds nothing to the discussion. There’s no way we can talk about that, because you’re not giving me anything to work with. There’s nothing else to say.

By and for Apple enthusiasts. That’s what it says, and if you’re no longer a part of that camp, then maybe you shouldn’t be a part of this camp, either.

8 Likes

Benny - totally disagree with you on that. I’ve been using Apple hardware since 1980. This is to me looks to be Apple’s decent into the wilderness again, at least in the Mac line.

“Hello Again” was a very evocative tag for announcement that was in all truth, a set of impressive speed bumps, but nothing that merited such a powerful teaser to the community.

I’ll keep using my 2013 MBA as there is no reason to upgrade to these new machines. I’ll keep using my MacPro (cheese grater style) as the “new” MacPro is a closed cylinder. I’ll keep using my new iPhone as it is still the best mobile platform.

I’m just saying - Apple, you fumbled the ball this morning, pick it back up and try again.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. Apple’s tagline set you up for disappointment — there’s no way Apple wouldn’t have known about the significance of the tagline to Apple faithful, and over-selling it in the invite mean that there was only disappointment for those who were looking forward to something incredible.

I’m in the same boat that you are. My late 2013 MacBook Pro still does everything I want it to perfectly fine. The warranty is about to run out, but I’m OK with that, at least until I can decide what to buy next. If that’s not a Mac, then so be it, but when I switch, it will be with careful, reasoned decision making in the context of whatever machines Apple has to offer at the time, not as some kind of knee-jerk reaction as a culmination of whatever Apple has done previously to piss me off.

All I’m saying is, there was nothing to suggest Apple was going to announce something more than minor refinements to their portable lineup. The tagline set us all up for something amazing, but nothing Apple has announced previously suggested they were going to do anything of the sort.

2 Likes

How about the attitude anyone gets when they say something that doesn’t agree with the ‘everything is awful’ crowd that’s gathered lately?

3 Likes

Tend to agree with this. Recently, we have a crowd of “I hate Apple’s direction” faithful that post week after week about how Apple is wrong and how Apple’s approach is terrible. We get the point. We got the point the 200th time you posted it, we also got it the 500th time you posted it, along with the 700th time you posted it, and now the only thing we’re getting is annoyed with listening to the same crap

3 Likes

Just as some get sick of the 700th post of ‘everything apple does is perfect no matter what it is crap’.

2 Likes

We need both to bring balance to the force.

I’m just going to leave the piece on design here.

Interesting read, think it’s quite relevant to this discussion
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/apple-samsung-and-good-design-inside-and-out

And a quick précis for the TL;DR crowd:

When I asked John Maeda, the former president of the Rhode Island School of Design, why, then, people have turned on the design of the iPhone 7, he pointed out that perhaps these critics “seem to believe that there’s some as yet unimaginable transcendence that can happen in a small, palm-shaped, rectangular device.” Maeda said that he spent time with designers at Sony and felt their frustration designing a television set “because all you can really do is design the rectangle that the TV sits within.… Everything else around that screen really doesn’t matter.” The same problem holds for the iPhone. All that matters is the screen — its size, brightness, and resolution. “Now that we have all those dimensions sated, it’s basically the challenge of designing a TV set all over again,” he added.

Except that nobody is actually saying that.

1 Like

I consider myself balanced - I’m not shy to call out Apple and criticise them for their recent lack of interest in Macs, but I’m also aware enough to know that when compared to Windows I still prefer Macs. They are not for everyone, and that’s fine.

Totally agree. I appreciate Macs and iPhones. They’re not perfect, but they are do what I need and I’m happy with that. People do try and get me to argue with them about phones when they see I have an iPhone, but my approach has always been that I use the iPhone because it suits what I do and that’s it. If you want to use another brand, go for it, no problems with me at all, one less person I have to wait behind to get my new phone.

They might call me a sheep and say I’m using 2 year old tech, but it’s irrelevant really. A lot of the experience is the OS and I much prefer Mac OS and iOS to any competitor. I only use Windows at work, but I don’t sit there complaining about it day in and day out.

This is a healthy and sensible attitude, however with the prevailing sentiment (read: loudest voices) around here lately you may as well have licked Tim Cook’s boots :joy:

I never said they were perfect and I never said I agree with what they do. I simply said I know where they are going because they have made it clear, so you have the option to accept it or buy something else. I accept that 10% of the market need it, but I also understand why they aren’t doing it. I understand there are compromises. You can agree with why someone is doing something without agreeing with what they do. I look at it in the same line as freedom of religion. If I was Christian/Muslim/Hindu/Athiest, I could agree with people’s right to follow another religion without agreeing with their particular religious choice, because believing in the right to religious freedom is different to agreeing with their religious choice.

1 Like

That is most impressive. 1980 you say?

1 Like

Indeed. I didnt think they were around then. For me, it was 1990 and second hand because I could in no way afford a new MacPlus

Apple were founded in 1976 - they had many models up until 1984 when the Macintosh was debuted.

The macintosh came out in 1984, prior to that they had the ‘Apple’ computers, the first of which came out in 1976 irc.

[quote=“AVC, post:19, topic:2880”]
many models up until 1984[/quote]
many models you say, interesting