"Good-bye Again"?

Perhaps “many” was a stretch, however my point was that Apple were around in the 70s too.

The Apple 11 was the first time that Apple made computer that had mass appeal and it started the education sector’s love affair with apple. The mac really only got going when it was paired up with a laser printer to create the desktop publishing industry. My first mac was 1985. You installed the OS with a 3.5 inch floppy each boot. Many an hour played with Daleks.

What saddens me with this announcement is the incoherence and stratospheric pricing.

Audio ports after they made such a big deal of getting rid of them? How do you plug in your lightning EarPods into a MBP?

Look, I would be happy with these macbook pros if they were the same price as their predecessors. They are just too expensive. Especially for the ‘entry level’, it is just offensive in its contempt for Apple’s customers at that price point.

Why can’t we get a thirteen inch MBA (probably their best selling computer ever) with an updated CPU and a retina screen? WHY?

This is true, but there was a good period of time before there was Mac, that the Apple computer was a bloody good machine.

I remember having a Apple II with something like 28k of memory, soon upgraded to 56 then finally (when available ) to 128.

Green screen monitor and an Epson RX?? 80 dot matrix printer.

Loved the evolution over the years, although at the moment, less than motivated to spend the $$.

1 Like

This is pretty much guaranteed my last Mac. Sorry… Maybe I’ll be buying a HP Spectre, or one of the Dell Ultrabooks, or A Surface Pro.These MacBooks do nothing for me and the more they aim towards thinness like its the magic pill the more I’ll be driven away. As far as this post goes.

Goodbye again, this time it might be for good.

But are we conflating hardware and software? I think the Mac operating system is preferable to Windows, but I no longer want to pay the premium prices for the hardware that is in many ways inferior to the ‘Windows’ brigade.

1 Like

No matter how great hardware is, nothing beats software - kind of like you can have the best physique and body, but ultimately, the balance is on the brain rather than the brawn.

I’ve spent 2 years with the Surface Pro 1, and then the SP3, with Windows 7, 8 and 10, and ultimately, I went back to MBP and OSX - it’s the ease of use, and the lack of the Blue Screen of Death.

If I could successfully run OS X on a grey box laptop I would have done it already. It’s too much of a pain in the backside and with each new release of OS X they find another way to break something that hackintosh computers run on.

If they open platformed OS X I have no doubts I’d be running it on the PC I wanted, problem is with Apple the way is always been that is never going to happen. We can keep dreaming of the day though.

Ahh. Totally forgot about pre-Mac computers.

Apple IIe was my first computer. Then I got sucked into an IBM XT until the white MacBook. A long break.

Edit: actually I had a spectrum running cassettes first.

My family have been with Macs my whole life. My Dad had a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 500, then the LC 475 was my family’s mac, an current computer when I was born. Mum learnt to use a Mac in 1985 or 86 through work and used them at work until my parents bought the 475 ( she never used the Amiga).

Right now, my only goodbye is to AppleTalk for a couple of weeks until the whining dies down. I may have to come back in a month and then avoid it a month after every product release.

4 Likes

And the two months before when leaks and speculation fuel the arguments that will be rehashed when the products finally appear. It’s a shame that those in furious agreement with each other here about how they’ll never buy an apple product ever again can’t do it more quietly…

Well, well.

Constructive criticism of Apple doesn’t mean people are ‘never going to buy another Apple product’ (any more that blindness to the failings of the current Apple lineup mean that people will never buy anything other than Apple).

I’ve complained about Apple’s recent design choices but I’m currently looking at updating my 2013 MacBook Pro with one of the new MacBooks and just because I think that removing magsafe wasn’t a good idea doesn’t (and said that) doesn’t mean I don’t prefer OSX.

See… that’s good news.

And it’s yet another plus for me to replace my 4GB ram MacBook Pro with a new MacBook Pro (still doesn’t mean removing the Magsafe was a good idea though).

An upgradable SSD is a highly desirable item in a ‘pro’ laptop.

No, of course it doesn’t, and I’m happy to discuss your arguments, some of which I agree with, some of which I don’t, but there are a few here who have stated that they will never buy an apple product ever again. To which there’s no answer. OK, great - but there’s nothing more to discuss!

1 Like

How awesome is that. If only it was 15 inch.

Well… we don’t know that it isn’t.

They only stripped down the 13" non touchbar model after all.

If it is, I’d change my order to non-touch bar with small SSD and buy my own just for the fun of installing it.

I’ve said I won’t buy another MacBook Pro, not never another Apple product, if you’re referring to me.