"Good-bye Again"?

More referring to a general tone rather than to specific individuals. As you were. :slight_smile:

You guys do all realise that you can do that now with the current MacBook Pros, right?

Not sure why this is news…

I didn’t even know this - the talk has always been on the non-retina 2012 being the most upgradeable, and the retina being not.

1 Like

That is because that is the case. While the Air and Retina pro allow you to upgrade the SSD (though this is very expensive and limited due to a proprietary connector), the non retina pro can have its ram upgraded, the optical drive upgraded/swapped for a second hard drive, battery swapped out etc.

I’ve never said never… I said Apple is never going to turn OS X into an open platform. That my friend is because Apple relies so heavily upon hardware sales. The operating system is practically worthless to them so they give it away for free.

What I have said vehemently is that I don’t like the current direction of Apple. It’s been yourself that has been pouring scorn on people for expressing an opinion that you don’t like, and that’s the end of that discussion right there.

If you want to turn this into a discussion about hipster evangelism we can go there also. I don’t believe that it’s nescessary. Some of us have been using Apple products most of our computing lives and see the sad state of a lack of upgradability and a lack of future forethought which used to be one of the edges that Apple had.

To be honest it’s you who sounds like one of those annoying preachy Mac evangelists that Guy Kawasaki was responsible for in the mid-1990s; I thought we moved beyond that. That type of evangelism didn’t work then and its not going to work now. It just created a bunch of annoying zealots that nobody wanted to associate with.

1 Like

Yep - I generally wouldn’t call the Retinas or the Airs ‘upgradeable’ - certainly not for normal users. The non-retinas are way safer, and the parts are industry standard. :slight_smile:

It’s all proprietary, but that’s not new. And generally it takes a year or so for the SSDs to become available aftermarket, if they ever do. Hence my surprise that it was a news item. :slight_smile:

Oh sorry, you’re right, this is the internet. My mistake.

The general halleluhahs about the potential upgrading of the SSD on the non touchbar MBP is because there was the fear it would be non upgradable at all, like the rMB SSD. It may even suggest the SSD in the touchbar MBPs will be similarly upgradable.

Small mercies.

But that’s my point. The rMBP SSD is already upgradeable…

I’Ve read that in the touch bar model isn’t upgradable.

I’d be interested if the battery is glued in or not. I’ve put 826 cycles on my MacBook since July 2015 when it was bought so I value easy (ish) or inexpensive replacement of the battery :stuck_out_tongue:

Even if it’s glued, Apple will replace the battery for like $200.

EDIT: Seems I’m out of date by 6 months. Apparently the just superseded model can support NVMe. If that’s the case, I’d hope that the new Samsung 952 drives etc will just slot in.

The problem is finding the large capacity Apple drives from somewhere.
All the aftermarket options are expensive and much slower than Apples offerings.

A 1TB Samsung PCIe SSD suitable for an Apple laptop is generally around the $800 to $1000 if and when you find them.
The latest Samsung drives are all NVMe which prior MacBooks didn’t support. Not sure if the new one does or not.

Must have gone down, still very expensive though an I object to having to have an entire top case replaced for what is a consumable. Will also suck when these batteries start expanding like the white MacBooks at work tend to do.

Because they will obviously have the same battery problem… Do you actually go out of your way to find things to complain about or does it come naturally?

You are now complaining about something that might be a problem…

But I can play this game…because it will suck when the have to replace the screen because it has the flaked screen issue from 4 years ago.

1 Like

And you feel compelled to go out of your way to whinge about my concerns - does that come naturally also?

The battery being glued has been something i’ve never liked, so I haven’t gone looking for something to complain about.
My understanding is that lithium ion batteries are prone to eventually expanding. I’Ve seen it in the pre unibody white MacBooks, iPhones, unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros so its not that far fetched to assume that it will happen on the new Pro.

1 Like

does anyone have issues with iphones not being user upgradable?

2 Likes

Now you’re just conflating things you don’t understand. If you can’t tell the difference between a mobile phone and a laptop this discussion is pointless.

In an ideal world, I’d prefer they were - the constant updating of mobile phones is not good for the environment, but it’s not overly practical to have user upgradable/repairable devices. Hopefully someone will make it a reality at some stage.

flattery my friend will not get you laid. i fear the absence of cognitive capacity my not rest with me, but perhaps the joy of ad hominen is more akin to self pleasure.

4 Likes

2 interesting articles.

The first one by Steve Blank was already referred to by Benny in his most recent good read thread. It’s a good read.

The other one is also interesting.

Your thoughts?

1 Like