"Good-bye Again"?

Sure it ran on top of a 16bit shell and you could until Windows 98 drop back to the DOS shell but that doesn’t mean or have anything to do with the operating system being 16bit. Windows 95, like 98 and Windows ME was dos agnostic, you didn’t have to do anything to do with it as a consumer. It was a 32bit operating system with 32bit addressing.

The difference with Windows NT and since every other version is that they run on top of the NT shell.

The BSOD was recoverable to the point you could save your work and restart. If your system bombed in OS 8 or OS 9 then you would lose everything, cry and get yourself another Latte.

I replaced the hard drive in a 12" PowerBook G4. Some where in the vicinity of 56 screws if i recall correctly. But it was doable. Then it was stolen. :frowning:

I’ve also noticed a lot of doom around the 16GB RAM limit, here and other forums. Are people forgetting that Yosemite and beyond have transparent memory compression? I’ve loaded a 22GB Wireshark (both native Qt version and MacPorts X11 version) capture on an iMac with 16 GB RAM, it worked wonderfully.

I used to run memmaker on DOS on my old 486 however arcane that is, the Mac OS has always had some implementation of memory compression, OS 9 had RAM Doubler, what have you. With disk speed being the way that it is now it shouldn’t be as much of an issue as what it has become in the past.

I can see a future where swap devices become more important once large SSD of 1TB and more become cheaper and more readily available. With bus connected SSD in MacBooks swapping out pages should not really be a significant issue.

The problem is that the majority of pollution caused through the life cycle of an iPhone is through the manufacturing process - recycling is good but extending the useful life of devices to reduce the frequency a replacement has to be made is the best way of doing it :slight_smile:

You can also add the original ‘compact Macs’ (512/Plus/SE etc.) as well as the Mac II to this list as they were able to have both disk and memory upgraded with very little effort.

It is only since the move to thinner and lighter that the ability to upgrade these items has started to be removed, as I have said in the past it is form over function winning over once again and to us ‘old school’ Mac users who are tech savvy this is not a thing that we like or will accept from Apple.

I can understand why Apple are doing this as they are pushing the thinner/lighter/sexier image in their hardware and I will admit that the 90% (probably closer to 85%) will accept this and blindly upgrade their entire machines when they want to upgrade but there are a large number of us (both tech savvy and not so) who cannot afford to do this and would love to have the ability to upgrade memory and disk.

1 Like

The reality is that Apple has never cared about people who can’t afford buying their gear. The price of the Mac II was around $10k back in 1987.

1 Like

There you go.

https://pingie.com/2016/10/31/how-to-enable-the-startup-chime-on-the-2016-macbook-pros/

1 Like

But at least you could expand RAM and storage on it which was the point I was trying to make.

Yayyyyyyy

The one machine I wanted if I go back to then apart from a Pismo G3 was a 9600/300. Of course I couldn’t afford either at the time so I settled on a 7600/200 which later become a 7600/400 G4 when I removed the CPU daughter board and replaced it with a G4, 10GB of high speed SCSI disk space and 256mb of RAM in banks of 64mb and 4mb of VRAM for 1280x1024 on a 17" Apple Trinitron monitor which self calibrated. I built that machine to what it was over time and it was a rocket ship for running Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 8 on such a low footprint operating system that was OS 8.6 which took up just 32mb of RAM which by comparison to now my system eats 6.75gb actively out of 8gb of RAM.

I can take having a laptop which inherently has a soldered on CPU but when you tell me I can’t change out the RAM or the hard disk because you want to make the machine thinner than two slices of bread, I’ve had enough with that. You’re treating me like some kind of cretin when I’ve got a Dip. IT.

In the 90s those machines had a habit of staying in service for 6 and 7 years at a time. Today you want me to upgrade an entire machine because I want to go from 8GB to 16GB that just doesn’t make much sense.

I’ve pretty much been a Mac user since the beginning, our schools first Macs were LCs. I pretty well don’t want to afford a machine with 16gb of RAM now only for that to be outdated in 1.5years time. So go figure…

Jebus. Makes mine, purchased in November 2013, look almost like I only drive it to Church on Sundays.

This morning I was given a tour of Bendigo South East College (a secondary year 7 to 10 school in Bendigo, Victoria) which has about 1450 students currently. Out daughter looks to be attending there next year, hence the tour.

I was speaking to the gentleman giving us the tour and he was explaining that the school has a requirement for 1 laptop for each child (seems reasonable) when I noticed that the graphical presentation was being given on an LG tv hooked up to a mac mini (with a wireless keyboard and mouse). I asked what laptop and he said they had a lease program where the students were issued with MacBook Air laptops (11 inch) and the parents paid a lease.

They’ve already ordered next years batch of laptops (so there must be some stock out there) but it makes me wonder how many schools out there will be forced to move away from Apple based IT by the new pricing.

Although Apple don’t really do much for one off education customers these days, they do actually have reps to do deals for schools and unis. So schools might not be so quick to move away from them. I guess time will tell.

what app is that @Oldmacs?

1 Like

Possibly, but they have mostly MacBook Air 11 inch laptops (for the students) with a number of Mac minis connected to TV screens for wall display.

The cancelling of the 11 inch MacBook Air will certainly impact them at some point (even if only to require them to choose a new laptop).

Do retailers have the new non-touch bar model on display yet (as in JB etc)? Wouldn’t mind looking at it, though certainly not in the market for one. I do like that it has a smaller footprint than the older model, essentially not that much bigger than the 11" Macbook Air. I’ve been trying to find a picture of one stacked on top of the other, but nobody seems to have done that comparison yet.

No idea, but I want to look at one in person before committing as well so I’d like to know the answer to that question as well.

Apple only have the base MacBook Pro out on display, no touch bar models. None of the other retailers had the new models as of yesterday.

I’ve heard none of the review units that were sent out had the Touchbar either.