GPS Navigation

What are people currently finding is best for nav? I have used Sygic since it first came out, but today it was completely lost. When I changed direction and went against its instructions, it kept wanting me to turn here and there, and do U-turns even when I was actually at my destination. So, I’ve finally deleted it.

Looking for recommendations. I dont need traffic reports, in Newcastle its total crap anyway, but I do want school zones and speed/red light camera notifications.

Anyone?

I’m still using old school Google Maps and it took me via suburbs to head home last night from the airport (missed a turn or two, was too busy chatting with my friends which i haven’t seen for over a year)!! I also hate driving at night due to my astigmatism. I’m in Melbourne by the way.

Might try Waze next and see how it goes.

I’ve just redownloaded Waze and also Navmii (used to be nav free). Both seem to be much improved on their older versions. I guess school zone notification isnt so much of a problem now theres flashing lights and speed signs everywhere. Both Waze and Navmii seem to have speeding notifications and camera stuff. I’ll trial both, again. Forgot that you have to buy the speed cams in navmii, and that I already had, but now they are installed. Back in the dim darks, they were free.

I was so disappointed with Sygic. It was my favourite for years.

I’m probably an outlier here, but as I have CarPlay I use Apple Maps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I biatched and moaned over Apple Maps but persisted and still use them…so far so good. Can be a bit slow at giving directions (voice over) but thats probably just me being too slow to react.

Does Apple Maps now show speed cams and red light cams? I also like having the speed limit displayed on screen. Fussy, me.

Apple maps recently got public transport for a Brisbane. It has a few quirks.
The fastest route is not the first one displayed. In fact it seems to give a preference to routes that involve a train, even if it takes considerably longer. Weird.

I use tomtom (paid) to avoid using data, otherwise Apple maps.

I have Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps installed and use them all a bit interchangeably.

Google is my default, although it doesn’t do any warnings at all. Apple is usually by accident when something has grabbed a link, it works just fine in my experience, much the same as Google really.

I will say Google is really handy because I can be on my desktop looking at where I’m going then just hit the “send to my phone” button and I’m ready to go. Very handy. It also now allows you to cache maps to save on data, although I have more than I know what to do with for the most part.

Waze is only a recent addition to my phone but I like all the notifications it provides. This is becoming my go-to app, although using Google is a hard habit to break… especially with that send to my phone button.

Both my and my Wife’s cars have built in nav (but not CarPlay as they are way too old) but when going OUT we use the phones far more often, partly because I’ve sent the destination to the phone already and partly because when I haven’t it’s usually easier to just type in “Smithville Sports Place” and it finds it far more quickly than screwing about with the built in nav units.

On the way home though it’s very easy to hit the one button that says “take me home” on the head unit, but then they are both so old they have zero (or close enough to) warning features for speed cameras/school zones etc.

tl;dr get Waze.

I use Apple Maps for the once in a blue moon I actually need to know how to get somewhere. Upside of living in a small city :grin:

Tomtom…

I looked at Tomtom today but… meh. And Sygic uses tomtom maps (sensis I think, but tomtom is mentioned in the about info) and by the way it totally lost me today, I’m not really that keen anymore.

Apple maps and google maps are fine if all you want to do is get somewhere, but there are no speed cams, no overspeed warnings, no red light cams. So they dont fit the critieria i specified in my first post. I alreayd have them on board and yeah, fine for getting from A to B, but on unfamiliar roads I want more information than they give.

Already did, earlier, as I said. Also Navmii. I’ll use both and see which ends up suiting. I noticed Navigon is again being sold for $70, they must have given up the annual subs model. Not tempted though.

I use Google Maps and Metroview. The latter is faster and it works when and where there is not mobile data reception. Maps for Australia and NZ are stored on the phone and updated regularly for free. It includes speed camera warnings.

Has anyone else tried Metroview?

I use Navmii, it’s not perfect but it’s better than Google maps and Apple maps.

It’s also slightly better than the inbuilt GPS in my car IMO.

1 Like

Used it for a while, bought it long before its price dropped. I didnt mind it, but for what it does, prefer “Here we go” upon which its maps are based.

Key differentiators:
Provision of offline maps. Offline maps allow reliable use even when no mobile data is available. If you live outside urban areas, this is particularly important.

Provision of extra information such as traffic data, red light cameras, speed cameras etc

How often are the maps updated?

How is it charged? Outright purchase, subscription or ?. What are the charges?

The offline maps come from “Here”… so of course “Here we go” is offline. We also get traffic info, but of necessity that data is downloaded on the go because its fluid, and changes from hour to hour. There is also a decent “Nearby” service which will show essentials like eateries, petrol stations etc, as well as public transport.

It doesnt alert you to overspeeding, and I don’t think it does speed cameras either. But it beats the hell out of Apple Maps and Google (IMO). Likie those, however, it does also give you a desktop version in a browser which is pretty nice, for those who just want to plan ahead without having to download an app.

Sygic was my gold standard… I’m really disappointed that its become stupid.

“Here” is free. Waze is free. Navmii is free unless you want extras like speed cams in which you pay the princely sum of $7.99. Once. Removal of ads I’m no longer sure about, you used to have to pay for those but I dont remember if the recent download even had any. Here and Navmii are both offline if you want. Waze is not, IIRC.

Downloading Metroview again right now, because I havent used it for at least a year. Perhaps it has improved to the point where I might choose it over the others.

[edit] notice that live traffic in Metroview is an IAP. Thats OK, I never need it, I know traffic is crap around Newcastle. LOL. Seems to be free in “Here”

Thanks for recommending Waze. Never heard of it. Been using it for the past week - I like it a lot!

1 Like

I like WAZE in cities, Metroview when out in the bush, as it’s fully offline.

Thats where I use Navmii. In the end I guess it comes down to personal preference. I always preferred Sygic, but had played with tomtom and Navigon in the early days, and later bought Metroview (because it was Australian and at the time using an Aussie mapping company) … I got Navmii because it was free. The speed cameras came later at an $8 cost. I think thats supposed to be an annual cost, I know it is with others, but I have only paid once and still have them. Waze has come a LONG way since the early days. But, there just doesnt seem to be anything new to compete with the old standards, so here we are, all as we were :slight_smile: