HomeKit Compatible Security Cameras

Off the back of this thread HomeKit and home automation, and some dodgy shit happening on my street lately, I’m looking to grab a decent Homekit/homebridge compatible camera system. So far, my only research has pointed me in the direction of Netgear’s Arlo setup.

Are there any others (I refuse to consider ring products due to their poor privacy record) that I should be considering that offer either integration with homebridge or native homekit support.

Also, can anyone offer any opinions on the Arlo system, pros and cons from a user point of view?

I’ve been looking into this myself a little and I do like the Ring ones but yeah the lack of security I’ve been hearing about is off-putting.

Do any of the Arlo ones have HomeKit support? According to their website, they have almost everything but

1 Like

I want one of these:

expensive though, and not homekit compatible.

1 Like

I was just reading that the new 4K version of Arlo has built in HomeKit support, the older ones AFAIK, had to be exposed via homebridge and that was sketchy at best.

Just saw these on JB’s website - a cool $500 per unit - no thanks, if I was going to spend that sort of cash I’d look into wired POE solutions.

Arlo seems way too expensive for my liking, I just want to start off with something basic that doesn’t require a hub plugged into the modem

I have 2 of the Logitech Logi Circle 2 cameras. Only the wired (USB) versions are HomeKIt compatible. Price varies, sometimes Amazon US has on sale.
Like many of these cameras there is an annual subscription to get all the advanced features, but can be used without the subscription

Amazon.com: Logitech: Smart Home.

I’ve got 6 Omna 180 degree cameras - they sell these at the Apple store and are easily connected to Homekit. Works well, I can recommend.

1 Like

I feature to consider is does the camera just offer live feed or movement detection with recording. Is the recording stored locally, or is the recordings stored in the cloud. Storing on the cloud may involve a fee and requires an internet connection. I also have one Omna 180 inside. It stores on a micro sd card so no fees. However if someone takes the camera, they also take the recording of them taking the camera. With cameras like Ring or Logi Circle you have cloud recording of someone taking the camera.

HAve you seen the Argus Reolink 2 camera? Sounds like it might be right up your alley. Uses your exisiting wifi network, however, the downside is that there is absolutely no HomeKit/home automation support for any platform…

I hadn’t but I’ll keep that one in mind. They have a cloud recording subscription which isn’t too costly either so that’s a plus. $299 for the camera though which is quite a lot for dipping your toe in, as a bonus though there’s an optional solar panel you can get for it

Not sure if I should have necro’d this thread or created a new one :man_shrugging: but it’s now late 2020 and with a recent spate of parcel thefts in my area I’ve started looking for a security camera I can have pointing at my front deck and down the front stairs.

I use HOOBS so HomeKit compatibility isn’t essential.

What are you guys using and can recommend now that we’re 18 months down the track from the original post in this thread?

Thanks for bringing back this thread. After seeing the previous posts, checked the latest Logitech Circle offering. Still works with homekit and you can have up to 5 of them with a 2TB icloud account. Seeing I have the family Apple One subscription, I already have that iCloud allowance. Was looking for something without an additional subscription and this fits the bill. Have ordered one direct from Logitech, will see how it checks out.

That looks interesting! I like how it’s a long USB cable with a brick. Makes it easier to work with. The iCloud storage is a good one too. Good contender!

If you’re okay dropping a bit of coin, but want something that absolutely works…

You’ll need a bit of gear for the setup, but it’s all expandable. Really, you’re looking at a CloudKey 2+ (or the NVR), a PoE Switch, Cat5e (or 6) cable from where you’re keeping your network stuff to where you want each camera.

As for getting it working with Homekit, it is possible. Each camera, through the CloudKey can present a RTSP video feed. There’s a Homebridge plugin that allows adding Unifi Protect cameras (create a local only user on Unifi Protect and use that). It’ll discover and add all of your cameras, then make the user read-only.

Super easy to work with and the UniFi Protect app is actually really good - almost everyone I’ve shown it to has gone down the path of getting this setup for themselves.

Also, unlike “cloud based recorders”, the footage from your cameras is recorded locally to your CloudKey. Nothing leaves your house. If your internet goes out - you’re still recording. You can even keep recording if the power goes out - as long as your CK, PoE Switch and router/modem are on a UPS.