iMac 2011 21.5" EMC 2428 HDD Replacement

I have been given an iMac 2011, the HDD drive died and Apple have removed it. The cost for them to put and new HDD in was around $450.00 so the owner opted for a new machine.

From reading unless you use a similar make HDD as taken out of the machine (Seagate Barracuda 7200) you will have issues with the sensor for the fans.

Using this is an option but its $70.00 plus the HDD.

I was going to go with a new Seagate HDD and try my luck, I have it working booting from an external drive but the fans are spinning up quite often.

Anybody had any experience with this iMac, getting the LCD screen out is no problem as I have done it a few times previously.

You could try an external SSD drive, say through the TB port. Super fast and you don’t have to open it up.

Otherwise, go for it. What have you got to lose? If it doesn’t work you can always pull it out and you have a new, fast drive for something else.

If you’re somewhat technical this is a pretty easy repair. You could follow the iFixit guide here.

Be VERY careful not to touch the PSU (which is exposed). I think Apple advise their techs to leave the machine unplugged for at least 15 mins before disassembling to discharge it. You can download the Apple technician repair guide here too. If you’re not comfortable with page 131, then get an Apple Service Centre to do the HDD install. Most will not charge you anything like what Apple will and will install a 3rd party drive for you.

Thanks for the repair guide link. I had the LCD out on the weekend as Apple did not plug in the display port power cable back in so the display was not working. Might try a similar HDD just for storage and the TB port for booting.

I’d go the other way. Put the SSD inside (with the OWC kit) and keep the storage external… :slight_smile:

I use the internal HDD as a carbon copy clone of the external boot SSD. The HDD is soo slow. I could put the SSD inside as well, but on the other hand I would like to upgrade to a new machine in a year, so why bother?

I prefer going with internal SSD and USB external storage as Thunderbolt cases are so exorbitantly expensive. :slight_smile:

The sensor is $65.60 AUD from OWC with the cheapest postage based on the current exchange rate.

MacFixit coupon for new customers FIRST5 5% off if you’re already a member and you abandon your shopping cart you’re normally get an offer for a maximum of 8% off that was the case mid last year anyway.

I found a compatible HDD for $20.00 that came out of an iMac so I am putting that it and will most likely sell it for them. If I was going to keep it I would go with the sensor cable and a SSD.