iMac Pro price lotto

Ooh, you were close! Click for spoiler.

Ya know… even if I was working, and had the resource to buy this beast… I would not. Those prices are just a return to the bad old days of Apple being an elite product for the very rich or the very well employed. My car isnt even worth that much. CRAZY!

Even the iMac5k kitted out with a better processor and the 1TB SSD and the rest, only gets to $5689…

Better pricing that I expected, especially given that it is a workstation class machine.

1 Like

Much better than I expected. This price is pretty much a straight conversion at current exchange rates
AUD$7299
Remove GST = AUD$6635
USD price =$4999
Conversion 75 Cents USD.

Current exchange rate 77 cents USD
The price must have been set a week or so ago when the exchange rate was closer to 75 cents.

Most of the time Apple seems to give itself a generous buffer, up to 10 cents exchange rate (eg 67 cents) as a way to manage exchange rate risk and high local operating costs - and apply Apple Australia tax of course! Apple must have realised the current rising demand for iron and coal will most likely jack up our exchange rate over the next year or so. So this is probably the best relative price it is likely to be.

The iMac Pro is way out of my price range, much more than I need, but by all accounts competitively priced for what’s in its guts. I would expect workplaces that need this kind of power would be very interested, get the configuration they want and just replace every three years. Smaller enterprises not so much as those might want upgradability to extend its life beyond three years. They will have to wait for WWDC 2018 and the real Mac Pro.

Just for fun I fully tricked out one with 18 cores, max GPU and storage. $20,419. That configuration works out at USD71 cents.

Also, AppleCare $199! A no brainer.

I get that this pricing isn’t too bad, and I guess this isn’t the machine for me, but feeling better and better about my recent decision to buy a CalDigit USB3 Type C & ESATA combo PCI card, GTX680 graphics and a 6-core Xeon upgrade for my Mac Pro 4,1! :open_mouth:

1 Like

…Or is it?

Yup, a little over $20k fully loaded, by my reckoning.

I had to see that for myself…

Yep. $20k… Crazy shit.

Who needs a car or food, when you can have an iMac Pro?

If I were going to buy a $7K entry level product, I’d expect 5+ years out of it, as would most ppl. That would mean you should be able to get ACL coverage to that length if you try hard enough.

Nice that they found space for a headphone socket.

1 Like

Shame that it appears to once again have no user upgradeable internals, not even memory from the early information that has been posted it’s another case of a “buy once” machine just like the MacBook Pro and to me that immediately makes it a no go. if I was to spend that amount of money on a machine I’d at least want to be able to upgrade the memory later on.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Most people never upgrade their Macs

I remember speccing out a cheese grater Mac Pro and being able to get it over $10k. That was a while ago though and the $AU was in much better shape then. I think the base model was $3k-ish at the time.

I guess they must have data that tells them there’s a market for this. I couldn’t imagine spending this much on a machine I couldn’t at least upgrade the RAM on though and I’m just not a fan of all-in-one machines generally. I’m a bit old fashioned I suppose and clearly not in their target market for this. Wouldn’t turn one down if it was offered though of course.

What does this price point say about the new Mac Pro…?

2 Likes

Topping out at $18,814.00, it appears the education discount still means something.

I’m not buying an iMac Pro, nor am I part of the target market.

That doesn’t mean I can’t contribute to this topic in other meaningful ways, like “I’ve talked to a few video editing friends and they seem really excited about the fastest Mac ever”, or “I’m curious about why Apple decided an all-in-one design was the best choice for the most powerful Mac ever made”, or even “this makes me really interested to see what Apple are going to do with the real Mac Pro”.

There are plenty of ways to contribute positively to topics without resorting to crapping on Apple at every turn.

Back in the early 2000s it was easily possible to get a cheese grater Mac Pro to over $30 by maxing every upgrade option, adding dual 30-inch Apple Cinema Displays, etc. I’m almost surprised Apple aren’t offering the option of displays with the iMac Pro, but I guess perhaps they don’t want to be seen advertising the LG 5K. Maybe they will when they have their own first-party displays.

I think it’s fairly indicative! :open_mouth: Before iMac Pro was announced, I was thinking I may buy the new Mac Pro next year. But with this kind of pricing, I think it’ll be $7k+ for just the tower when it comes, which is WAY outside my price range.

So I bit the bullet yesterday and managed to buy a 12-core upgrade CPU daughter card with two 6-core 3.33Ghz Xeon X5680s for my Mac Pro 4,1 for $380 (+ trading my single CPU board to the seller).

iMac Pro base model ($5200) Geekbench on web reported as:

My Mac Pro 4,1 (~$1800 cost as I’ve built it over last year with all upgrades) Geekbench:

my mac pro 12-core

I think I’ll be happy with my investment for a few years more.

1 Like

There is also the concept that not every apple person is going to agree with their every move, so some might just need to accept that not everyone is going to sing high praises for this thing.

Anyways, it would have been interesting if they hadn’t exactly kept the normal iMac design and had instead gone a bit thicker for example.

I don’t know if they have any clue what they’re doing with the Pro market, I think their admission with the Mac Pro shows that. I do find it weird that this is less upgradable rhan the normal iMac, i’d Think that the insane descision to keep the same design meant a new cooling system that made the removable ram plate impossible.