Installing Auntie-Player on ATV: The bits they don't tell you

I was planning to make a video on my experience getting Auntie Player installed on my Apple TV. It was a pure nightmare, and after about half a dozen failed attempts I finally got it working by changing a few things. There was no way to start from scratch so I figure I’ll just share those things here.

I started by downloading this guide and complier from Whirlpool. Mind you, this person uploaded an archive in ZipX format, which I have no clue on how to extract in OS X, so I went into a Windows VM and extracted it using WinRAR.

To save you lot the trouble I’ve uploaded here as a normal Zip file. Please don’t distribute - I’ll get my Dropbox suspended if too many people download this.

So I followed the guide and here’s the bits you need to know in addition to that guide:

MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE YOUR ATV & NOT THE SIMULATOR

It may look like it automatically found and connected to your Apple TV, but it didn’t. You need to click “Auntie Player”, hover over it and choose your Apple TV device. This screenshot below says no device connected because I took the screenshot after I disconnected the Apple TV from my computer, but you should see the name of your Apple TV here.

CHANGE THE NAME OF THE BUNDLE IDENTIFIER TO BE UNIQUE

If you get to the stage where it says “Fix Issue” and you choose or log in to your developer account and it throws an error, this is most likely because you cannot use the same bundle identifier as somebody else. It has to be unique.

Click on the name of the project, make sure you’re on the ‘General’ tab and change it by clicking both targets.

As an example, I changed Auntie-Player to com.redrobin.Auntie-Player and I changed com.hacktothefuture.AuntieKit to com.redrobin.AuntieKit

Once you’ve done this, hit the compile button (the play button) again and it should compile.

If it worked you’ll still see some yellow errors in the sidebar, but it’ll say build succeeded and it’ll have installed properly.

Testing it out it works perfectly. It takes about 60 seconds for it to buffer up to full HD, but it does get there.

Let me know how you go.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Will try it out tonight :slight_smile: